Champions League 2022/2023

Who will win the CL?

• Total voters

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Personally, if I have to pick between Madrid and Bayern in a matchup I’d want Madrid to go through. At this point I am already numb about them winning another CL. They are a La Liga team after all and we have beaten them a couple of times this season. Better than those annoying Bavarians winning one more.

Yannik

They are a La Liga team after all and we have beaten them a couple of times this season.

Wouldn't this also somewhat legitimize Barca's La Liga win? I feel like if now even Madrid went out in Europe, people would look at Barca dominating this league and concluding that it's just past its prime. But if Madrid wins CL, it means Barca has beaten the team that conquered Europe. Not only is that very good propaganda, but it also keeps the interest alive in the Barca-Madrid rivalry.

ajnotkeith

Wouldn't this also somewhat legitimize Barca's La Liga win? I feel like if now even Madrid went out in Europe, people would look at Barca dominating this league and concluding that it's just past it's prime. But if Madrid wins CL, it means Barca has beaten the team that conquered Europe. Not only is that very good propaganda, but it also keeps the interest alive in the Barca-Madrid rivalry.

That's why they probably won't.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Wouldn't this also somewhat legitimize Barca's La Liga win? I feel like if now even Madrid went out in Europe, people would look at Barca dominating this league and concluding that it's just past its prime. But if Madrid wins CL, it means Barca has beaten the team that conquered Europe. Not only is that very good propaganda, but it also keeps the interest alive in the Barca-Madrid rivalry.

Yeah, precisely. I just think particularly at a time when La Liga seems to be losing its prestige and glamour and steams quite a bit, a La Liga team doing well in the CL, even winning it is much-needed for the league. The league needs trophies and success stories like this to continue to build up its profile, to make it not fall further behind the likes of EPL etc.

DHorozov

Hopefully Benfica can do it just like Porto did in 2003 or 2004...

And all that while selling their players to the top clubs for ridiculous amount of money...

And just realized that Porto is still in the competition as well, while La Liga is only represented by Real...

Barcilliant

Hilarious that Messi actually thought he had a chance at another Cl with shit SG.

If we had a better manager we would still be in the competition, not dumped out of the Europa league.

Porque

Yeah, precisely. I just think particularly at a time when La Liga seems to be losing its prestige and glamour and steams quite a bit, a La Liga team doing well in the CL, even winning it is much-needed for the league. The league needs trophies and success stories like this to continue to build up its profile, to make it not fall further behind the likes of EPL etc.

Madrid already won the CL last year. I don't think Madrid progressing or going out does anything to how the rest of the world see LaLiga. Does Bayern winning it or getting to the final change what people think of Bundesliga, or does it establish that it is a one-team league with one strong side?

What will only establish LaLiga is their sides consistently reaching the later phases of the CL, and when they knock out a English side, not shit housing it like when Atleti beat Pool a few years back. But outplaying them.

That and the flow of top talents going to Spain and not just Madrid/Barca.

Andresito

Staff member
Madrid going out will spur the usual "La Liga is shit", "EPL is so much better". This includes them going out in the next round as well.

Morten

Hilarious that Messi actually thought he had a chance at another Cl with shit SG.

If we had a better manager we would still be in the competition, not dumped out of the Europa league.

I'm sorry, isn't Messi sitting on 0 goals and 0 assists in 4 knockout matches for PSG?

PSG might be shit, but Messi hasn't made a difference either.

Blackened

I'm sorry, isn't Messi sitting on 0 goals and 0 assists in 4 knockout matches for PSG?

PSG might be shit, but Messi hasn't made a difference either.

PSG's system doesnt suit a soon-to-be 36-year-old Messi. They need better midfielders and two pacy, strong wingers. Messi in a free number 10 role, behind Mbappe with players like Coman and Gnabry on either sides and Leo could still deliver the good. Yesterday they played in a 4-4-2 -formation. That simply doesnt fit Leo today. Not in any way.

PSG's system doesnt suit a soon-to-be 36-year-old Messi. They need better midfielders and two pacy, strong wingers. Messi in a free number 10 role, behind Mbappe with players like Coman and Gnabry on either sides and Leo could still deliver the good. Yesterday they played in a 4-4-2 -formation. That simply doesnt fit Leo today. Not in any way.

Leo is an individualist - he is a great no. 10 - but it will always be that 10 with the ball that other big teams will try to get out of the match. In the matches against you (and yesterday) it maybe was the task of the defenders to work against Mbappe and others, but of the midfielders to get Messi and Verratti out of the match. In the past we did that with Martinez/Schweinsteiger/M?ller yesterday it was with Kimmich/Goretzka/Musiala and M?ller.

It is not the problem of 35 year old Messi - it was the same 10 years ago.

Yannik

i just think Messi has mentally retired since WC. He will still show up for the monthly freekick banger or some slick through ball, but you wont see him really lead PSG, or decide games. He felt retired even before the WC, itwas being foreshadowed since he left Barca, but still kept in shape in PSG training for the World Cup, but now that he has it, he stopped giving shits entirely.

Home of Barca Fans