Bundesliga

Who will win the Bundesliga this season?

• Borussia Dortmund

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stuttgart

• Other

• Total voters

Yannik

Very true indeed. And not just when Bayern comes knocking, foreign teams like us too. Most Bundesliga teams just can't retain their star players.

That isnt exclusively a Bundesliga phenomen though.
Noone in spain rejects Barca or Madrid either. Its normal for a small club anywhere, to be kinda exploited by bigger teams at some point. Southhampton, for example.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Didn't Honigstein say Pep would get sacked if Bayern failed to win the CL this season?

Don't know, yet it sure as shit wouldn't make a whole lot of sense as his contract expire right afterwards anyways. How can you sack someone who is gonna leave anyways?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Noone in spain rejects Barca or Madrid either. Its normal for a small club anywhere, to be kinda exploited by bigger teams at some point. Southhampton, for example.

Yes, but much less of a problem in England and Spain where there are several elite clubs with similar financial clout.

I think to begin with, Bundesliga already suffers from a disadvantage compared to the EPL and La Liga in terms of marketing its brand overseas, that is language/cultural influences. The EPL has the best thing in the world - the English language at its disposal, the marketability is huge. La Liga has big followings in Spanish-speaking countries such as Latin America and increasingly in the US among the Hispanics. Even Ligue 1 has good followings in Africa I heard. Bundesliga? Nein. The best it can do is to play awesome football which it does but the lack of competition and suspense is really undermining its potential abroad, me thinks.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Yes, but much less of a problem in England and Spain where there are several elite clubs with similar financial clout.

I think to begin with, Bundesliga already suffers from a disadvantage compared to the EPL and La Liga in terms of marketing its brand overseas, that is language/cultural influences. The EPL has the best thing in the world - the English language at its disposal, the marketability is huge. La Liga has big followings in Spanish-speaking countries such as Latin America and increasingly in the US among the Hispanics. Even Ligue 1 has good followings in Africa I heard. Bundesliga? Nein. The best it can do is to play awesome football which it does but the lack of competition and suspense is really undermining its potential abroad, me thinks.

Well, I'm sorry our cultural and technological enrichment of the rest of the globe in form of 16 to 19th century imperialism wasn't as fruitful as that of the British, Spanish and French. We were busy trying to become a nation and deciding the fate of the various forms of Christianity. :p

serghei

It is. You give the Spain example, but the thing is Barcelona doesn't buy Real's best players or vice-versa. When that happened, a war started (see Figo). You don't see City or United buying Chelsea's best players, Hazard for example. That's because City, United and Chelsea are teams who are as strong financially. Not even in Italy do you see high-profile transfers being made between teams like Milan, Juve and Inter. In Germany this odd thing happens, in the sense that whatever top players Bundesliga has, they usually end up in Munich. Bayern does not have a real rival in that league. Their rivals come and go based on form, no one goes toe to toe with Bayern in the long run.

In Spain there's Barcelona and Real Madrid, in Italy there's Juve, Milan and Inter. In Germany there's Bayern and... who?

I'm cursious, what's the german equivalent of El Clasico, or Derby de la Madonnina, or Old Firm?

Last edited:
R

Ryu Hayabusa

Yeah, and what is the alternative to the best players ending up at Bayern (which is a huge exaggeration btw)? The best players leaving the league.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

relatively speaking, bayern's run in bundesliga is not much different than lyon's in french league the previous decade. it'll continue for the next 4-5 years atleast.

Sterlingfan2000

Yeah, and what is the alternative to the best players ending up at Bayern (which is a huge exaggeration btw)? The best players leaving the league.

The league Needs Oil Money and rich Owners. Simple as that, england had the same Problem 2004 and the Fa reacted. The same needs to be done in Germany. In italy it also worked, so why not in Germany

Yannik

It is. You give the Spain example, but the thing is Barcelona doesn't buy Real's best players or vice-versa. When that happened, a war started (see Figo). You don't see City or United buying Chelsea's best players, Hazard for example. That's because City, United and Chelsea are teams who are as strong financially. Not even in Italy do you see high-profile transfers being made between Milan, Juve and Inter. In Germany had monopolized the transfer market, in the sense that whatever top players Bundesliga has usually end up in Munich.

In Spain there's Barcelona and Real Madrid. In Germany there's Bayern and... who?

Those examples worked, because you picked out only the working examples. :rolleyes:
Has Barca bought players from Madrid? No, (and they probably couldnt if they wanted to).
Have they bought players from Atletico or Sevilla? Yes.
Would you say that Sevilla never had the potential to become a big team if they kept their players, and it was therefor ok to steal these players and that you werent weakening competition at that point?

Have City or United bought players from Chelsea? No, okay maybe Mata.
Have City or United bought players from Liverpool, Arsenal or Southampton that was a hot club at that point etc? Yes, a motherfucking lot.

Every 5 years or so, Bayern buys 2-3 players from a better-playing rival. Thats basically less or just as much as teams like United, City, Dortmund or even Barca do.
Of course you will tell me that Sevilla doesnt count, because they are no title aspirant. Question is: Would they have been a title aspirants by now, if they had been able to hold their players? I think they'd be some sick squad at this point (even with the sales, they are already not doing too bad). So yes, that definitely counts aswell.

Last edited:
R

Ryu Hayabusa

The league Needs Oil Money and rich Owners. Simple as that, england had the same Problem 2004 and the Fa reacted. The same needs to be done in Germany. In italy it also worked, so why not in Germany

Yeah, there really was a plethora of different champions in Italy over the past 5 years... :D

serghei

:lol:
Those examples worked, because you picked out only the working examples.
Has Barca bought players from Madrid? No, (and they probably couldnt if they wanted to).
Have they bought players from Sevilla? Yes.
Would you say that Sevilla never had the potential to become a big team if they kept their players, and it was therefor ok to steal these players and that you werent weakening competition at that point?

Have City or United bought players from Chelsea? No, okay maybe Mata.
Have City or United bought players from Liverpool, Arsenal or Southampton that was a hot club at that point etc? Yes, a motherfucking lot.

Every 5 years or so, Bayern buys 2-3 players from a better-playing rival. Thats basically less or just as much as teams like United, City, Dortmund or even Barca do.
Of course you will tell me that Sevilla doesnt count, because they are no title aspirant. Question is: Would they have been a title aspirant if they had been able to hold their players? I think they'd be some sick squad at this point.

You're missing the point. Barcelona HAS Real Madrid. Give me a team from Bundesliga that is for Bayern what Real Madrid is for Barcelona (or vice versa). There isn't one.

Home of Barca Fans