Barca top of the league!

serghei

It's not. In the scenario you posted, it's better to draw with rm and win vs valencia. There's still a clasico to be played at home, and 4 points are always better than 3.

Well, let's break it down.

1. WIN vs Real Madrid + LOSE vs Valencia = +3 from Real Madrid (advantage in H2H)
2. DRAW vs Real Madrid + WIN vs Valencia = +3 from Real Madrid (neutral in H2H).

4 points vs 4 points is the same as 3 points vs 3 points.

Option 2 is only better if you are worried about Atletico, since it means we lose a point vs Atletico while having better advantage in H2H over Madrid.

F

Flavia

Well, let's break it down.

1. WIN vs Real Madrid + LOSE vs Valencia = +3 from Real Madrid (advantage in H2H)
2. DRAW vs Real Madrid + WIN vs Valencia = +3 from Real Madrid (neutral in H2H).

Option 2 is only better if you are worried about Atletico, since it means we lose a point vs Atletico while having better advantage in H2H over Madrid.

You're ignoring the camp nou match for the head to head, and also assuming it will be needed. Or if you're assuming rm won't drop points along the way too. Winning 4 points is better in the long run.

serghei

You're ignoring the camp nou match for the head to head, and also assuming it will be needed. Or if you're assuming rm won't drop points along the way too. Winning 4 points is better in the long run.

OK, I understand how you see it. I disagree. I'd take -1 against the rest of the teams, for a better advantage in the h2h against Real Madrid.

Of course the Camp Nou game is still to be played. But my scenario allows us to draw the game on Camp Nou and be ahead in the h2h due to winning on Bernabeu. Yours doesn't give you that leverage.

Not if you consider RM the only title challenger. In the two scenarios described above, option 1 is detrimental to RM.

SocalBarcaFan

It's hard not to be overly optimistic about Barca's chances of winning La Liga this season. As some have said even in this thread they expected us to be 6 points behind or more at this point. Now we are up 3 with you know who coming back along with other reinforcements and good form from pretty much the entire team. I know it's way too early to be thinking La Liga is in the bag but I cant help it. I guess that's what Madrid thought in January last season too. But I like feeling confident in my team more than being pessimistic.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
It's hard not to be overly optimistic about Barca's chances of winning La Liga this season. As some have said even in this thread they expected us to be 6 points behind or more at this point. Now we are up 3 with you know who coming back along with other reinforcements and good form from pretty much the entire team. I know it's way too early to be thinking La Liga is in the bag but I cant help it. I guess that's what Madrid thought in January last season too. But I like feeling confident in my team more than being pessimistic.

Nothing is in the bag, but the not-so-far-fetched objective is obviously another trebble ! That's how good we are :D

F

Flavia

OK, I understand how you see it. I disagree. I'd take -1 against the rest of the teams, for a better advantage in the h2h against Real Madrid.

Of course the Camp Nou game is still to be played. But my scenario allows us to draw the game on Camp Nou and be ahead in the h2h due to winning on Bernabeu. Yours doesn't give you that leverage.

Not if you consider RM the only title challenger. In the two scenarios described above, option 1 is detrimental to RM.

You're giving h2h too much importance. In the last 2 leagues won by Barça, we lost the h2h, with Tito and with Enrique. And rm lost it in 11-12. It's something to consider, but in the end, winning more points is the best way to win the league. And a draw in the bernaleo, plus winning at home, it's a very nice scenario.

Of course it's a very nice scenario, both are. But with your preferred option, barça are likely to lose H2H while the point difference with Madrid remains the same as option 1, which is thus better when RM is the sole challenger

F

Flavia

Of course it's a very nice scenario, both are. But with your preferred option, barça are likely to lose H2H while the point difference with Madrid remains the same as option 1, which is thus better when RM is the sole challenger

Barça wins 4 points, instead of 3. In the long run, winning more points is preferable. Both teams finishing with the same amount of points is not very likely.

Barca wins 4 points, but so do RM, this is how serghei presented things no ? Both clubs win the same amount of points in each case: either 3 or 4. Which is why the better option lies with the best H2H.

F

Flavia

Barca wins 4 points, but so do RM, this is how serghei presented things no ? Both clubs win the same amount of points in each case: either 3 or 4. Which is why the better option lies with the best H2H.

No, he didn't mention if rm would win 4 points also. Just that he'd preferred to beat rm, and to lose to valencia, because of the h2h. I prefer to draw with rm and beat valencia. And it's quite a small margin of points. That's why I'll always prefer to win 4 instead of 3. H2h is rarely used, and the last 2 times we won the league we lost in the h2h, it didn't matter.

Seems clear enough tbh, maybe you missed it, maybe serghei didn't imply it before, idk. It would be absurd to argue over whether 1 more point over madrid is better than a positive H2H, the answer is obvious.

F

Flavia

"OK, I understand how you see it. I disagree. I'd take -1 against the rest of the teams, for a better advantage in the h2h against Real Madrid."

I wouldn't take a -1 against the other teams, anyway. We don't know what will happen in the future. Not when there's still the Camp Nou match to be played. We are also 3 points ahead, not leveled on points.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
I also believe h2h is irrelevant, it rarely comes to it, and we don't need to rely on that to win ligas, madrid does like the loosers they are; not us ! :)

raskolnikov

I also believe h2h is irrelevant, it rarely comes to it, and we don't need to rely on that to win ligas, madrid does like the loosers they are; not us ! :)
2007 definitey hurt though, h2h result is always good to have in your pocket going into the final games.
Thats why a draw with goals would be a positive result for us given the situation.

Home of Barca Fans