Arturo Vidal

Devils

Xabi Alonso signed with Bayern at the age of 32 and they got 3 good years out of him as both a starter and a squad player.

I expect the same for us with Vidal.

Very happy with this signing.

Jombi

Schweinsteiger is a different story as it has to do with his relationship to the club, too. He played for Bayern since he was 14. And he had a series of injuries behind him - when he had played the recent three years prior to his transfer he played full with painkillers. I do not know if Xavi or Iniesta had transfer sums or what would have happened if they would have wanted to transfer with a year of contract left.

Until April Arturo played the last three years without any injury that let him miss more than 1 or 2 matches.

What? Vidal missed over 100 games and has had to undergo surgery on his knee just a few months ago. At 31 years old and with such a physical playing style, like Suarez, its a clear risk, no doubt about it. I think its pretty obvious that both Suarez and Iniesta who you mention was in clear decline at least around that age. So we dont know what we'll get.

Vilarrubi

No, the rumors were 30m and someone said 21m was suspiciously low. I tried to find examples of whether it would really be suspiciously low. Schweinsteiger was a superior player to Vidal and was considered a football god in Bayern, so if Vidal is 30m then Schweinsteiger would be at least 36m+. I dont see how the 21m is suspiciously low at all. Markets for 31+ year olds are not good. It never has been.

You said the market increase in prices today wouldn't be four fold... you said Schweinsteiger was 9m so "more than four fold" of that would mean Vidal would be 36m+.. nothing to do with Schweinsteiger being 36m that made no sense at all.

Anyway Vidal is 20m so you can rest now hopefully.

Last edited:

Trickykid

I think Bayern has the very much the same question marks regarding Vidal, especially with his playing style and questionable mentality.

Could be. Even with his off field antics, though, he's been pretty damn great for them. Hopefully new surroundings will keep him in check.

Another probable reason as to why they let Schweinsteiger go so relatively cheap, is one you inadvertently mentioned in him being a legend. I don't think they'd ever hold someone like him ransom after having served them so well for so long.

MTL_Barca

Xabi Alonso signed with Bayern at the age of 32 and they got 3 good years out of him as both a starter and a squad player.

Can't compare them at all, Xavi and Iniesta could also play for us till they reached that age but non of these players relied on their physical attributes, they played with their brain and not their muscles.

Vidal isnt anywhere his best years and it'll get worse physically. Can't see him playing top level football with 33+. He will never be a starter for us, lets just hope he stays healthy and makes a good squad player for more than a year.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

Might want to temper your expectations there. 3 years?

Alonso is a cerebral IQ player, even before he moved to Bayern he was getting slow as fuck in defense and slow on the ball. But even then he could still provide a strong spine to the midfield because of his skill level.

Vidal is pretty much nothing like Alonso, can't expect their trajectories to be the same in any respect. Alonso was also a full time starter for Bayern for years. In all likelihood a lot of things would have to go badly wrong for Vidal to be a starter for us, or he somehow becomes prime Vidal and is actually worthy of it.

JamDav1982

Can't compare them at all, Xavi and Iniesta could also play for us till they reached that age but non of these players relied on their physical attributes, they played with their brain and not their muscles.

Vidal isnt anywhere his best years and it'll get worse physically. Can't see him playing top level football with 33+.

Xavi did rely on physical attributes.

His fitness was fucking unreal at his peak and he covered every blade of grass and still looked fresh as a daisy.

Even if declines quickly after 33 Barca have two seasons out of him.

Jombi

You said the market increase in prices today wouldn't be four fold... you said Schweinsteiger was 9m so "more than four fold" of that would mean Vidal would be 36m+.. nothing to do with Schweinsteiger being 36m that made no sense at all.

Anyway Vidal is 20m so you can rest now hopefully.

Nope, you are assuming Vidal and Schweinsteiger are the exact same players with the same value. They just are not. Anyway, there is no way the 21m is suspiciously low, I think we can both agree on that. Hopefully he can give us more than a season.

Yannik

What? Vidal missed over 100 games and has had to undergo surgery on his knee just a few months ago. At 31 years old and with such a physical playing style, like Suarez, its a clear risk, no doubt about it. I think its pretty obvious that both Suarez and Iniesta who you mention was in clear decline at least around that age. So we dont know what we'll get.

He missed 4 games in 17/18 before his knee injury, one because of an infection.
4 games in 16/17, 1 of them was because of a flu.
1 game in 15/16, because of a fever.
3 games in 14/15
2 games in 13/14
No games in 12/13
1 game in 11/12

I don't know where people pull of this fairytail of him being chronically injury prone, dude had the first more or less lengthy injury spell in his career behind him and it wasn't more than 3 and a half months..

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans