Argentina

AURELIUS

yo Aurelius, long time.. ;)

Want to ask you about the Fab-4 system. I must be in the minority when I say I'm not a fan. It offers li'l balance or shape. Playing 2 9's makes the attack narrow, but also Zab having to do a lot on his side. It also forces one of the 9's to assume wider positions, thus diminishing his goal threat (the better goalscorer in pipita in this case). If Sabella thinks the Aguero-Messi tandem in the center can be more productive to the team, I'd rather he sits Gonzo, for Lavezzi. The current system requires one of them to sacrifice, and I don't think it's fair to the player or beneficial to the team overall. The Fab-4, for me, should be reserved only when chasing a game. But from the get-go, a set-up that allows for better control and balance, is desirable. Your thoughts?

Hallo again Zanela. :) You always make very pertinent comments. You would make a very good analyst.

I'm fine with the system although it can leave the team vulnerable to a degree if someone like di Maria or any of the others is reluctant to enforce a high press. I would not worry about the fullbacks unless we are chasing a game as Sabella is always reluctant to order both fullbacks to attack in a back four. And anyway Mascherano or Gago normally come across to cover when either Zabaleta or Rojo do come forward.

What concerns me is how too often they get overloaded as was seen in several qualifiers ie Chile away for example. I am fine with the four in the group stages. It is extremely fluid. Pipita and Kun are quite happy out wide and even so have scored more than their share including the golazo Gonzalo scored against Chile. The way they drag defences across to the right has left Messi and di Maria to run riot and several time both find each other to score and create goals.

What would concern me is any attempt to play di Maria in midfield and allow that to be too narrow. Against stronger opponents I suppose Sabella will resort to a front two with Messi tucked in with two wingbacks.

If you are interested I wrote these articles for FBO in January regarding Argentina's prospects, tactics and personell at the World Cup. Nice to see you around. Keep contributing. :wave:

http://www.footballbettingodds.co.uk/author/brian-mann/

zanela

Thanks for the response, and for the kind words. :)

I will sure to look in to your articles. Gratitude.

big_man

Man, you know I'm starting to think they can really win it. Carlo playing Di maria in midfield is a blessing for the Argies, he's basically had a season long of preparation in that role and to be fair he's done brilliantly.

Their defence is their weak point but in Zabaleta they will have the 3rd best best right back in the competition. Garay is a good defender. Fernandez and Rojo are meh but all things considered there probably aren't more than 5 teams in the competition with a better back four.

Their midfield will surprisingly have a good balance with Masch screening the back four, Gago keeping things ticking and Di maria being their Iniesta basically. Messi being a true no 10 with Aguero and Higgy, I think they have-at worst-the second best front six in the competition.

They also have some confidence now unlike during the last world cup. I don't think they've lost since 2011 (correct me if i'm wrong), something like 20+ games, and their manager is competent tactically.

I think that team should comfortably get to the semis.

Last edited:

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Man, you know I'm starting to think they can really win it. Carlo playing Di maria in midfield is a blessing for the Argies, he's basically had a season long of preparation in that role and to be fair he's done brilliantly.

Their defence is their weak point but in Zabaleta they will have the 3rd best best right back in the competition. Garay is a good defender. Fernandez and Rojo are meh but all things considered there probably aren't more than 5 teams in the competition with a better back four.

Their midfield will surprisingly have a good balance with Masch screening the back four, Gago keeping things ticking and Di maria being their Iniesta basically. Messi being a true no 10 with Aguero and Higgy, I think they have-at worst-the second best front six in the competition.

They also have some confidence now unlike during the last world cup. I don't think they've lost since 2011 (correct me if i'm wrong), something like 20+ games, and their manager is competent tactically.

All left now is for someone to kick some shit out of Sabella's head so that he pick Willy over Lord Romero and maybe Mussachio and Fazio instead of Fernandez and Rojo

Kerrybai

They lost to Uruguay in October.

MagIX

Imo Argentina has to play in mourino style, defense tight, wait the opponent in his own half, and fast counter.

Behrox

Imo Argentina has to play in mourino style, defense tight, wait the opponent in his own half, and fast counter.

They have a weak defense IMO if they play defensive they don't stand a chance all out attack is the best defense for them

AURELIUS

They lost to Uruguay in October.

Should have been a draw. Several first team players absent and Suarez as usual conned the referee with a penalty.

Sabella will play a countering game. It's what he has done as a manager and always will do. The defence is not that weak but I would like to see Gonzalo Rodriguez and Musacchio come in along with Ansaldi/Peruzzi.

As for Romero. Someone kidnap him, Orion and Andujar. Argentine coaches at World Cup's are often stubborn. Sabella is another example. Instead of press campaigns for Tevez to be included in the side run some for Caballero, Saja and Barovero ASAP.

Behrox

Should have been a draw. Several first team players absent and Suarez as usual conned the referee with a penalty.

Sabella will play a countering game. It's what he has done as a manager and always will do. The defence is not that weak but I would like to see Gonzalo Rodriguez and Musacchio come in along with Ansaldi/Peruzzi.

As for Romero. Someone kidnap him, Orion and Andujar. Argentine coaches at World Cup's are often stubborn. Sabella is another example. Instead of press campaigns for Tevez to be included in the side run some for Caballero, Saja and Barovero ASAP.

Willy is probably the top 5 keepers in La Liga that attackers just hate because he can make a save from just about everywhere but for some reason Romero is played who wont be able to stop Xavi from scoring

AURELIUS

Willy is probably the top 5 keepers in La Liga that attackers just hate because he can make a save from just about everywhere but for some reason Romero is played who wont be able to stop Xavi from scoring

It is maddening. Romero at last played for Monaco now Subasic is injured. However there is some news that stubborn Sabella may be considering looking at Sebastian Saja and also at the very successful Velez side at young defensive midfielder Lucas Romero as Banega has been rather middling since returning to Newells.

Behrox

It is maddening. Romero at last played for Monaco now Subasic is injured. However there is some news that stubborn Sabella may be considering looking at Sebastian Saja and also at the very successful Velez side at young defensive midfielder Lucas Romero as Banega has been rather middling since returning to Newells.
I wouldn't hold my breath with a guy too stubborn to see the difference of class and level between Willy and Romero and the poor defenders who can't stop attackers for their lives. I am surprised he doesn't play Masch at CB but maybe its due to lack of midfield options

zanela

I wouldn't hold my breath with a guy too stubborn to see the difference of class and level between Willy and Romero and the poor defenders who can't stop attackers for their lives. I am surprised he doesn't play Masch at CB but maybe its due to lack of midfield options

No Thanks. The current Arg defence may not be the best all-round, but they are indomitable in the air. I'll take that one worldclass quality over anything Masch can offer as a CB. Both FF and EG's physicality and aerial prowess has been more than useful in both attack and defence. Masch is best stifling attacks in MF, and covering the defence.

Behrox

No Thanks. The current Arg defence may not be the best all-round, but they are indomitable in the air. I'll take that one worldclass quality over anything Masch can offer as a CB. Both FF and EG's physicality and aerial prowess has been more than useful in both attack and defence. Masch is best stifling attacks in MF, and covering the defence.

I didn't say he should start Masch at CB you interpreted me wrongly I was saying that with all his boneheaded and stubborn decisions I was surprised he didn't go retard and play Masch at CB

zanela

Apologies then. :) Yeh, he's stubborn but for all his faults he's identified the squad's limitations, and got them playing a system that suits them best. I prefer him to Tata.

Behrox

Apologies then. :) Yeh, he's stubborn but for all his faults he's identified the squad's limitations, and got them playing a system that suits them best. I prefer him to Tata.

That debatable but you have to admit Musacchio/Fazio/Otamendi and Willy are better than Fedrico Fernandez and Romero respectively

Home of Barca Fans