Antoine Griezmann

vlad

If real could have Isco as a backup for so long, why can't we do the same with Dembele until Messi and Suarez are 33. Next season with Griezmann, Suarez, Coutinho and Dembele we can win against anyone even if Messi is unavailable.

I think its not the same, isco was playing in malaga, while griezmann is coming from a top team like atletico, already played CL final and that final with international team, isco didnt come with big price tag as griezmann will neither he had same reputation like griezmann is having, so i would not compare them

Edit: my bad,y you were comparing isco with dembele, yes quite similar case only that dembele was much more expensive snd is already on high salary

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
First then people said, look at Madrid, having top class players on their squad like Isco and James without them being definite starters, while we have to suffer everytime a starter is injured or suspended, because the squad is weak. Now we're starting to assemble a pretty formidable squad after losing a star player (Neymar is an asshole but he's a top 5 player in the world easily), and people just find something to complain about. I think we can manage with 3 forwards like Dembele, Griezmann and Suarez, considering Messi plays more as a free roaming no10 these days. It's not written in the stone in the contract that X player needs to play each game. Remember the issue we have with losing steam towards the end of the season? Imagine having one extra class player to count on in those difficult games in CL. Griezmann is like the perfect counter player in away CL games.

And we seem to be forgetting Dembele is 20 years old, jesus. Unless we have an all time great talent here, he won't be that important for us for at least 1-2 more seasons except this one. I think he can accept the possibility that he won't be a certified starter until he's 22-23 years old.

We have 4 attacking players for 3 spots, or even 4 spots in some games. And even in the tough games, injuries are going to happen for sure, suspensions and such. 4 class attacking players for 3 spots is manageable, especially considering that one is a 20 years old player who had an injury ridden season. We're making problems where there aren't any.

Team is set with what we have + Arthur and Griezmann. Sell Paco (his time is done if we sign Griezmann), Gomes, Denis Suarez, Rafinha, Aleix Vidal, and possibly Paulinho after 1 more year. Then we might need an extra CB depending on how great Mina does.

Even more importantly, if we sign Arthur and Griezmann, team is the least Messi-dependent since Ronaldinho days. It would basically be giving Messi the best platform to have a great end of his career, with big trophies and everything.

Griezmann must be got. We'd be set even if Messi gets injured or Suarez gets out of form at the wrong time. Team would still be solid enough to beat anybody.

So that leaves our midfield with an aging and increasingly ineffective Iniesta, Coutinho, Rakitic and Busquets (both are getting old too) as our midfielders, until IF and when Arthur joins in January or summer 2019? What happens if they get injured? Promote Alena?

Our midfield is wearing thin.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
So that leaves our midfield with an aging and increasingly ineffective Iniesta, Coutinho, Rakitic and Busquets (both are getting old too) as our midfielders, until IF and when Arthur joins in January or summer 2019? What happens if they get injured? Promote Alena?

Our midfield is wearing thin.

Alena is getting promoted anyway. Would be hard to fit in another midfielder there that can make an impact. Arthur obviously joining in January 2019, then we might look for another midfielder in the summer of 2019 when Iniesta likely retires/leaves.

It's a process. We'll probably be looking for another young CB too in 2019 with Vermaelen's injury record and Pique's age.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Alena is getting promoted anyway. Would be hard to fit in another midfielder there that can make an impact. Arthur obviously joining in January 2019, then we might look for another midfielder in the summer of 2019 when Iniesta likely retires/leaves.

It's a process. We'll probably be looking for another young CB too in 2019 with Vermaelen's injury record and Pique's age.

Having only 4 or 5 midfielders (including all positions, AM, CM, CDM) is too much a risk in my opinion.

DonAK

Having only 4 or 5 midfielders (including all positions, AM, CM, CDM) is too much a risk in my opinion.

Iniesta, Rakitic, Coutinho, Paulinho, Busquets, Alena + Roberto if we have to use him there + Arthur arriving in January

It's how many we have right now anyway considering how useless Gomes and Denis are with EV not trusting them anymore.

wisconsincule

I was against this at first but now I’m coming around to it. Would be pretty fucking awesome having a true world class sub to come on. I do think it’s going to be hard on Valverde balancing the rotations but with how many matches we play there is still more than enough game time to be spread around equally.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Iniesta, Rakitic, Coutinho, Paulinho, Busquets, Alena + Roberto if we have to use him there + Arthur arriving in January

It's how many we have right now anyway considering how useless Gomes and Denis are with EV not trusting them anymore.

Serhei was advocating selling all of them, including Paulinho. I didn't name Roberto because he is likely to be a RB backup, if not a starter. But yeah, he can definitely be a backup midfielder.

Arthur is still a big question mark. I just think that we need to continue to look for ways and new players to reinforce/revitalize/replace our midfield.

DonAK

Serhei was advocating selling all of them, including Paulinho. I didn't name Roberto because he is likely to be a RB backup, if not a starter. But yeah, he can definitely be a backup midfielder.

Arthur is still a big question mark. I just think that we need to continue to look for ways and new players to reinforce/revitalize/replace our midfield.

Paulinho is not going anywhere though, so moot point. We need to recruit more players for the midfield, but it's going to be difficult with so many players in the midfield currently.

In 2019 Iniesta is likely to leave, Paulinho will have another season to show if he's worth keeping or not, even then most likely we sell him. We'll see how Alena does. Depending on everything we're definitely going to sign another midfielder in the summer of 2019, if not two depending on who's available.

Vilarrubi

First then people said, look at Madrid, having top class players on their squad like Isco and James without them being definite starters, while we have to suffer everytime a starter is injured or suspended, because the squad is weak. Now we're starting to assemble a pretty formidable squad after losing a star player (Neymar is an asshole but he's a top 5 player in the world easily), and people just find something to complain about. I think we can manage with 3 forwards like Dembele, Griezmann and Suarez, considering Messi plays more as a free roaming no10 these days. It's not written in the stone in the contract that X player needs to play each game. Remember the issue we have with losing steam towards the end of the season? Imagine having one extra class player to count on in those difficult games in CL. Griezmann is like the perfect counter player in away CL games.

And we seem to be forgetting Dembele is 20 years old, jesus. Unless we have an all time great talent here, he won't be that important for us for at least 1-2 more seasons except this one. I think he can accept the possibility that he won't be a certified starter until he's 22-23 years old.

We have 4 attacking players for 3 spots, or even 4 spots in some games. And even in the tough games, injuries are going to happen for sure, suspensions and such. 4 class attacking players for 3 spots is manageable, especially considering that one is a 20 years old player who had an injury ridden season. We're making problems where there aren't any.

Team is set with what we have + Arthur and Griezmann. Sell Paco (his time is done if we sign Griezmann), Gomes, Denis Suarez, Rafinha, Aleix Vidal, and possibly Paulinho after 1 more year. Then we might need an extra CB depending on how great Mina does.

Even more importantly, if we sign Arthur and Griezmann, team is the least Messi-dependent since Ronaldinho days. It would basically be giving Messi the best platform to have a great end of his career, with big trophies and everything.

Griezmann must be got. We'd be set even if Messi gets injured or Suarez gets out of form at the wrong time. Team would still be solid enough to beat anybody.

+1

And Madrid's lack of depth is why they are not competing for all 3 trophies this season.

BarçaBarça

Valverde is the man who has managed to bench Messi in CL-matches, without complaining, turn Suarez from donkey to WC through playing-time, incorporated a Brazilian over-the-hill non-barca-style player into a benefit for the team, turned Rakitic from out of form to light-Xavi, taught Semedo + Dembele lessons about what it takes to be a professional top-player (diet and so on). All this after and during great storms of controversy because of Neymar leaving, transfer-sagas and so on. Yes, I think he is a great man-manager.

Based on how Valverde manage his players, I wouldn't bet on that. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays Griezmann as a RW, because he has to keep Suarez happy but if Dembele manage to prove himself the next few months then it's going to be a problem.

Real Madrid has a very good squad depth but that doesnt mean their attack are packed with superstars. Their bench are mostly homegrown and are all still very good as bench players.

You expect them to spend 100 mil just for Griezmann to sit on the bench? We will have problems. Better foresight would be find a young replacement for Rakitic or Busquets. Our attack are already loaded with the likes of Messi, Coutinho, Suarez and Dembele.
Real Madrid did not overstack attacking players. They won the CL with Bale in the hospital bed and Benzema scoring 1 knockout goal against Napoli in the R16 and 0 assists during the whole competition.

Griezmann is a very experienced player and a much bigger goal threat so when push comes to shove the kid Dembélé will always be the one to sit out in meaningful games as a 70 minute pace substitution. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets loaned out next season.

These fantasy constellations of too many world class attackers of which 1 is always willing to sit out and come off the bench while retaining a high level and staying happy only exist on Fifa.

No, and their attack has proved to be insufficient this season without James and Morata, so what are your point? See, I get that one can fear Galactico-policies to be inefficient and lead to trouble (RM proved that, early Florentino-period).
But:
1) Our players are different (no drama-queens among Messi, Suarez, Coutinho - just look at how humble he has been since the start - just maybe Dembele is on a hold here) - and Griezmann wouldn't be one as well.
2) As others have mentioned suspension and injuries (which are always super-underestimated when making ideal-starting-11's on forums e.g.) will take care of some of the adjustment of playing time.
3) Valverde is a coach who can handle the squad better than most (and he would have full backing by the board - also a difference to Galactico-Madrid). He has got Messi to accept benchtime in CL, that is something, and therefore I believe he can get the captains who themselves accept not playing full-time can affect other players to do the same (Iniesta, Messi accepts it - Suarez could in the future as well), therefore it is not Utopia that Dembele & Griezmann don't cause riots if they don't play every 3rd day.
4) Suarez is ageing and it is just as naive to think he will be able to be WC for 50 games a season 2-3 seasons from now, as expecting it to be manageable with Griezmann in the squad. My guess would be that he could accept a sub-role/heavy rotation in the 2019/2020-season.

5) What if Suarez actually declines rapidly - then what? Everyone in here would then expect us to buy world-class, because no-one seriously think Paco can be first choice or that Messi as false 9 with Dembele/Coutinho on the flanks is the best way to utilize (the slower and) older Messi. We could then buy Kane for 200M, and old Lewandowski or old Aguero, or, bet on 16-year-olds in Brazil for around 50M as Madrid. I don't want that, and therefore some pre-planning for once would be welcomed from my perspective, although I'm not completely blinded by the upsides of this policy - trouble could be real, but I think most things count in favour.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans