André Gomes

Diogo28

Wait for him to be more confident and you gonna be seing a lot of these (sadly against FCPorto):

[youtube]Bcs6hTIfR78[/youtube]

F

Flavia

he's not bad .. but i'm not impressed , there is nothing he can do that Rakitic can't do .. and the latter is obviously more refined. he's an expensive Rakitic replacement. that's the way i see it.

Gomes is only 23. Rakitic at his age was playing for Schalke.

BBZ8800

He is exactly what we needed after Xavi left. Controll. He is calm, intelligent and orchestrates the play awesome.

Denis is explosive and clearly a more offensive player but loses the ball too easy and is poor off the ball. He is good but Gomes is just something else.

He is becoming my favorite also out of Gomes/Denis/Rafinha/Roberto/Samper as a 1st Cm pick.

Messi983

He is becoming my favorite also out of Gomes/Denis/Rafinha/Roberto/Samper as a 1st Cm pick.

I don't think we'll ever see Roberto as CM again in serious games unless we'll have a really bad injury crisis. And Samper (if/when he comes back) will be probably used exclusively as DM - at least until Lucho will be our coach.

BBZ8800

He is better than Denis at CM
Denis is too chaotic as a CM

I have the same problem with Denis for now (I know that it is way too early).
He has Rafinha's vibe of being all over the place, or playing as a 4th attacker at times, and then when we lose a ball on his part of a pitch there is an insanely giant hole and our first players to tackle a counterattacking opponent are a fullback and Busi.

I don't know how to describe it in words in a better way.
Rakitic and Gomes cover similar area. When they have to attack, they can attack. When our team loses a ball, they are in the right place to recover loose balls.
Iniesta plays closer to attackers, but he is not lost when we lose the ball, he is positionally on a right place to recover loose balls and to stop counterattacks.
Rafinha/Denis play differently. Kinda of too attacking/too close to attackers/too close to an opponent's box.
At times our formation from the air looks like a 424 then. Our midfield (Busi-Raki-Rafinha/Denis) seems "empty" then, and there is that thing with counters and loose balls in that 424 formation where we have only Busi-Raki and a giant hole on an area where Rafinha/Denis play (as if we play with 10 men).

Or in a defense, Rafinha/Denis often play like this (1st goal from Alaves):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgohIQjhijA
Opponents run past them as if they don't exist at all.

Denis/Rafinha maybe have better skills/shinier tricks but Rakitic/Gomes bring way more balance to a whole team, imo.
They cover much larger area both in attack, and especially in defense (in recovering balls).
(Again, I know that it is way too early, but Gomes has a lot of potential, it seems)

Last edited:

serghei

Wait for him to be more confident and you gonna be seing a lot of these (sadly against FCPorto):

[youtube]Bcs6hTIfR78[/youtube]

I don't think it's reasonable to expect that kind of stuff. He won't be showing up in those positions at Barcelona except on rare occasions. If anything, that's a Neymar kind of action at Barca. What he needs to be doing is play like he's playing now, but iron out the silly mistakes. What will be left is a real Barca quality CM, someone like Busquets, but with more edge going forward.

I don't expect Gomes to show up in the box often. I don't want it much either. I expect him to form triangles and move around between the lines, making what a Barca CM does, connecting the defence with the attacking front, and making the whole sequence flow like it's supposed to. He's doing just that. He's getting involved a lot. That means he moves well, and is making himself available almost every single time the ball is played in his zone, willing and ready to receive and also ready to develop the game with his own touch of inspiration.

What I see is a crazy talented young player, with personality, great technique, and vision to complement it. He's more Barca-esque than a lot of young players from La Masia that have been overrated here since I joined the forum. And not only style-wise, but quality-wise as well.

If things go like I expect them to, he'll prove to be an absolute steal for what we payed him. I see him as a potentially better midfielder than Pogba soon.

Last edited:

xXKonan

I noticed that Gomes and Busi were interchanging positions at some points of the match. Busi would push up and Gomes will sit back and cover Busi and Vice Versa. they were doing the same during the 2nd leg of the Spanish super cup at Home as well.

As I said before he's a rough Diamond and will only get better from here.

Home of Barca Fans