André Gomes

RMU ReBorn

Go easy on him . Quite easy to sit back and abuse . He might not be a Barca material . May be he will have a bright future elsewhere . He is a nice guy and I wish he becomes a better player in some other club . He won't last another season in Barca

BBZ8800

He had some bad passes.

But, let's make some heat: from Barca's total dominance in a first half, we immidiately lost possession and control when Gomes was subbed and Coutinho entered a field.

We scored a goal, Valencia started to attack, blah blah.
This guy sucks in attack, that's true.
But he is just bringing balance to our midfield, overall play and possession.

You'll guys see a way more horror show when we'll field Iniesta and Coutinho more often, in terms of balance.
Especially when we'll add Dembele into maths also.

My point: Barca has enough of an attacking power, that actually workhorses like Rakitic, Gomes and Paulinho don't ruin the game AS MUCH as it seems when you look at their individual (attacking) play.

LeeRomeno

He had some bad passes.

But, let's make some heat: from Barca's total dominance in a first half, we immidiately lost possession and control when Gomes was subbed and Coutinho entered a field.

You'll guys see a way more horror show when we'll field Iniesta and Coutinho more often, in terms of balance.

My point: Barca has enough of an attacking power, that actually workhorses like Rakitic, Gomes and Paulinho don't ruin the game AS MUCH as it seems when you look at their individual (attacking) play.

I do agree with this, but he just was awful with his passing today.

BBZ8800

I do agree with this, but he just was awful with his passing today.

A test for everyone:
In future matches:
1. check our possession and midfield's balance when we play with:
Iniesta-Rakitic-Busquets-Gomes/Paulinho
Against Iniesta-Coutinho-Busquets-Rakitic (or even add Dembele here, I have no idea where).

Our positional play is way better in the first scenario.
Possession is way higher.
We are dominating all over the field.
We are not prone to counters.
We can recover balls easily.

Add Coutinho/Dembele into maths, and you have a mess.
None of them has a useful position in a team for now.
Automatism is not there.
They are clashing with area of some other players.
None of them is too useful in defending. Coutinho is trying to defend, but he is miles behind Paulinho/Gomes.

I know, football is not about defending, but to some extent, we are lucky that Coutinho can't play in a CL this year (and let's hope that Dembele will be benched or he will play in the last 30-40 minutes of matches when he'll have more space).
Imo, we have way more chances to win a CL this year with a balanced (and yet ugly for some), "classical EV's" lineup with 3 workhorses and Iniesta.

We could survive in the next season with Coutinho, but only if Iniesta will be benched.
Till now, in every single match when either:
1. Dembele played
2. or Iniesta and Coutinho played together
= our team was tactically a mess, compared to a fine tuned balanced machine called Iniesta-Raki-Busi-Gomes/Paulinho.

khaled_a_d

He had some bad passes.

Eh, the thing is he isn't suited as the 3rd midfielder tbh.
I would prefer him as Busquets/Rakitic sub but not for Paulinho
Can't make argument(with or against) about Dembele in Paulinho place considering small sample size and we did well with Vidal or even Gerard b4 November

BBZ8800

BBZ defending a "workhorse" with no technical ability, what else is new.

I am defending a balance.
You only need a certain level of "power" in each line: defense/midfield/attack.

For example, if you play against Getafe at home, 4 defenders will be enough to form a very strong defense.
If you play 8 defenders, you won't improve THAT much in defense, and yet you will lose midfield.
(If you have a glass which can be filled with only 1 litre of water, it is irrelevant whether you will use 1 litre or 10 litres of water to fill it. In both cases, only 1 litre will stay in a glass in the end).

Imagine that in 442, you have:
Defense 90% strength
Midfield 90% strength
Attack 80% strength

If you suddenly play 8-0-2 to strengthen a defense:
You will improve defense from 90% to 100%.
But your midfield will drop from 90% to 0%.
Plus, attack will suffer due to no midfield, and it will drop from 80% to let's say 30%.

So, you see, my point is, you only need "a certain level" of power in attack/midfield/defense.

We already have Messi, who is an alien, and who counts as 2-3 humans, like normal attacking players from Arsenal, Tottenham, Borrussia and similar.
So, to have a good attack, you don't need 7 Messis and Coutinhos in the team.
You can be very good with only 2-3 of them, if your other lines (midfield and defense) are well balanced also.

This is just my estimation, but this is what happens in numbers with our team when we go from 442's to Dembele-Coutinho mode currently:

EV's 442 with Iniesta-Rakitic-Busi-Paulinho/Gomes:
Defense: 95%
Midfield: 90%
Attack: 80%

Iniesta-Coutinho-Rakitic-Busi:
Defense: 70%
Midfield: 70%
Attack: 90%

Iniesta-Coutinho-Busi-Dembele:
Defense: 50%
Midfield: 50%
Attack: 100%

So, you see, with "shiny" names, we are improving attack each time (but only by little), while we are losing way more in other areas, like midfield and defense.

On contrary, in a world WITHOUT Messi, I would want to see: Coutinho-Iniesta-Dembele on a field together, because we will lack an attacking power then (since now we have Messi who is worth like 3 normal attacking players).
So, imo, in a world where we have Messi, the best thing for our team is to build a strong defense and strong midfield and just add 1 or 2 attacking players alongside Messi.
We will almost never concede due to that setup.
And Messi and co will score 2-3-4 goals in 90% of matches.

Again, if you add Coutinho (paired with Iniesta) and Dembele in this story, we are just improving already world class attack, and we are ruining midfield and defense.
Imo, in this moment, we are losing more with these new shiny signings than what we are getting.

Again, if Messi gets injured, that is a different story.
Or of Iniesta gets benched.

So, you see, I am not calling for 11 players like Rakitic and Gomes in a team.
But we need a certain amount of them in a starting 11.
Especially since we have Messi.

Till then, let's wait for a match where we'll actually play well (or better than EV's 442 before Dembele and Coutinho) with Iniesta-Coutinho both on a field, or with Dembele also on a field.
[MENTION=20218]Origami[/MENTION] will like this, we didn't use that word for a few days: we lost an equilibrium :lol:

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans