André Gomes

Richard.H

I don't understand how his shooting is so bad. He has skied like 80 % of the shots I've seen him take for Barca and Portugal. I mean in a lot of them he even has plenty of space and decent amount of time to pick a spot.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It looks like he's regressing for every game he plays

His shots are so bad

[tw]880241063365140484[/tw]

God Serena

His shooting was awful in this game, and it needs major improvement overall I'd say. Way too many skied shots for this level. But his passing was good, his work rate good, and first touch was good as well in this match. Found some clever through balls at times too. Not really a horrible game. Won the ball several times, and closed some dangerous channels in defense on time (he struggles with that usually, but this match he was okay).

I really have to ask you and [MENTION=20930]Messi983[/MENTION] how. His performance was so bad the shitstorm coming down on him actually made him a top trend on twitter. And those highlights don't exactly look good. Is this the type of performance you wouldn't mind him having at Barca?

DonAK

You can look at my first posts in this thread and when he was signed and I like Gomes as a player, but I won't make out any excuses for his bad performances and regressing form.

Too many excuses are made for him and some of his performances are made out to be much better than it is. Although some also make him out to be worse than he is too, but he's been pretty bad and I still don't see how Valverde will be able to justify rejecting that bid to keep him, but since he has, he got to deliver.

God Serena

You can look at my first posts in this thread and when he was signed and I like Gomes as a player, but I won't make out any excuses for his bad performances and regressing form.

Too many excuses are made for him and some of his performances are made out to be much better than it is. Although some also make him out to be worse than he is too, but he's been pretty bad and I still don't see how Valverde will be able to justify rejecting that bid to keep him, but since he has, he got to deliver.

I don't even think Valverde really wants to keep him. I'm pretty sure Gomes would get benched in Valverde's midfield if he was Basque.

I can imagine the conversation went like this:

Board: We will not be selling Andre Gomes.
Valverde: Okay but I don't think I'll be needing him going forward. I have a plan.
Board: If you give him time to adapt to your style he can be a great player for us.
Valverde: Well if you say so...
Board:: We need you to tell the press that. Don't say we told you to.

DonAK

I don't know what's happening.

We seem to be out of any plans in general. Latest news now is that Rafinha won't be sold either. This along with the news about Vermaelen coming back and possibly being our 4th choice CB and Arda not wanting to leave with no considerable offers for him either.

Most stories suggest that it's either Verratti or no one since everyone reacted so negatively to the Paulinho news.

Dembele not moving either.

Summer is long though, but for a management that have had months to plan this transfer window, the voices coming out of Barcelona are already negative if Mestre's comments are to be taken into account.

serghei

I really have to ask you and [MENTION=20930]Messi983[/MENTION] how. His performance was so bad the shitstorm coming down on him actually made him a top trend on twitter. And those highlights don't exactly look good. Is this the type of performance you wouldn't mind him having at Barca?

There are some moments which the average football viewer doesn't spot.

His shots were awful I said that. But his performance as a whole had good moments, and bad moments. Not a horrible perfomance, but rather a average, ordinary game. He had some good touches and turns and moments where he passed the ball first time and put other players in space. Several times he did well to close the channel between Bruno Alves and Eliseu, which Chile tried to exploit several times with Aranguiz and Vargas.

Most football fans will watch some highlights with those bad shots and automatically arrive at the conclusion that he had a horrible game, regardless of his positioning in defense, some very nice first touch movements and overall good tactical discipline and good workrate. I would not call that a good game overall, but not a horrible one either.

For Barca he needs to do more, and I already said several times I'd sell for 35-40m.

Last edited:

DonAK

Even Song had some good moments at Barca, and I'm not really saying Gomes is that bad, but to say a performance isn't bad because you had a few good moments doesn't make any sense.

It's rare a player has a complete performance that is a train wreck. Often it involves a few nice moments, but overall it's just very bad.

JamDav1982

Gomes complete lack of confidence seems to be carried through to Portugal.

On those highlight clips the only time he looks decent is when has no time to think or panic and has to play instictively a bit more.

Devils

Gomes complete lack of confidence seems to be carried through to Portugal.

On those highlight clips the only time he looks decent is when has no time to think or panic and has to play instictively a bit more.

I thought it was lack of confidence at first, now I'm convinced it's a lack of talent/ability.

serghei

Even Song had some good moments at Barca, and I'm not really saying Gomes is that bad, but to say a performance isn't bad because you had a few good moments doesn't make any sense.

It's rare a player has a complete performance that is a train wreck. Often it involves a few nice moments, but overall it's just very bad.

It seems that the story here is that he had a train wreck performace. Not the case. He was disappointing? Sure, most Portugal players were. But, as I said, most fans have the tendency to exaggerate things. Disappointing performances are called horrible, good games are called incredible performances, all of this depending on the popularity (or lack of) involving that player.

If this was a horrible performance, then I suppose I should call his performance in the Copa final a great game? I'd rather call this one a disappointing-average performance and the other one a good game, rather than go to extremes so quickly.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I thought it was lack of confidence at first, now I'm convinced it's a lack of talent/ability.

He is better than has shown and looked much at Valencia although form was still a bit shaky.

Not saying that is a reason to keep him as mentality is a huge thing when comes to playing at Barca but was without doubt a better player in past.

Home of Barca Fans