8 - Pedro Gonzalez "Pedri"

xXKonan

Xavi is likely ecstatic having to work with the Midfield options we have.

A position that had been weak for years but it seems we at least have something good to work with now.

Zidane82

Xavi is likely ecstatic having to work with the Midfield options we have.

A position that had been weak for years but it seems we at least have something good to work with now.

A young base of Pedri , Gavi , Nico , Balde plus Fati and Dembele if they can stay fit ... plus FDJ is exiting

JerseyAddict

Lol, literally the biggest positive thing about Xavi right now in these circumstances is him working with a midfield of De Jong, Pedri, Gavi, Nico, and even Puig. Out of these 5, a top-class midfield could be created for the future.

Other than that, we have big problems in attack and defense (less so in attack if Dembele and Fati are back and stay fit), but if the midfield is performing at a high level, I think we will improve step by step and establish an identifiable style, something we lacked in many years.

Hehe
He certainly knows what Barca midfield should look like. I hope he can make half of that with these kids. Bring in a winners mentality and sense of teamplay...

Andresito

Staff member
Lol, literally the biggest positive thing about Xavi right now in these circumstances is him working with a midfield of De Jong, Pedri, Gavi, Nico, and even Puig. Out of these 5, a top-class midfield could be created for the future.

Other than that, we have big problems in attack and defense (less so in attack if Dembele and Fati are back and stay fit), but if the midfield is performing at a high level, I think we will improve step by step and establish an identifiable style, something we lacked in many years.

Is there any example of teenagers growing in a position together and cementing it for years? I can't recall.

I don't think you can build a competitive midfield with those ages, no matter the supposed talent.

I wouldn't be opposed to selling one of those you mention if we can replace them with a ~25-year old who's top class.
All 3 of Pedri, Gavi and Nico look good at the moment, but I doubt all three will be world class players. At most, one of them might.

serghei

Is there any example of teenagers growing in a position together and cementing it for years? I can't recall.

I don't think you can build a competitive midfield with those ages, no matter the supposed talent.

I wouldn't be opposed to selling one of those you mention if we can replace them with a ~25-year old who's top class.
All 3 of Pedri, Gavi and Nico look good at the moment, but I doubt all three will be world class players. At most, one of them might.

De Jong and Pedri are already established you can say. Pedri is rated at 80m right now. Frenkie at 90.

One of Gavi, Nico, and Puig are enough to complete the trio.

It's unrealistic to expect a top-class signing in midfield when our attack and defense are in ruins. Every penny we will raise will be put on those positions. Namely wingers and defenders.

Even then, those 2 transfers only (winger and central defender) would need nearly 150m. to fund in the oil club era.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

De Jong and Pedri are already established you can say. Pedri is rated at 80m right now. Frenkie at 90.

One of Gavi, Nico, and Puig are enough to complete the trio.

Puig is not a teenager so doesnt count on that point which in itself negates the point as he looks least physically ready for it which would normally be issue for younger players.

serghei

Puig is not a teenager so doesnt count on that point which in itself negates the point as he looks least physically ready for it which would normally be issue for younger players.

You and Puig, ok, count him out then. We need one of Gavi or Nico to join Pedri and make the step and we can dance with that midfield. Provided De Jong plays like the top class player he is.

JamDav1982

Or you and Puig including him on points not relevant.

Puig could join the midfield if good enough but that would then not fit in with point of multiple teenagers at same time question.

Closest can think of is Man Utd but no all established in first team squad at same time.

Scholes 19, Giggs 17, Beckham 17, Butt 17 on their debuts.

BusiTheKing

We have some pretty exciting prospects in the u-19 as well. Would not be surprised to see Txus Alba exceed Gavi, Nico & Pedri.

Porque

[MENTION=19407]Andresito[/MENTION]. Good call. I guess that is what Busquets is there for, while FdJ will hopefully cement his overall game with the tweaks of Xavi.

Leaves one place for Pedri, Nico and Gavi, which is fine if we rotate. Team has shown they can operate against most LaLiga sides without Pedri snd fdj.

malvolio

curious what xavi will say when he sees that none of pedri/puig/gavi/nico/FDJ are not able to control the tempo of the game to save their lives.

i say we still need a DM or CM that does that. but maybe i'm wrong and xavi will flop or play a different type of football anyway.

khaled_a_d

Yeah, we actually need at least 2 signings in midfield, preferably those who aren't 23 or younger.

serghei

Yeah, we actually need at least 2 signings in midfield, preferably those who aren't 23 or younger.

:lol: If we need 2 signings in midfield, we need 3 in offense and 4 in defense, and at least 1 in keeper position. Hell, you must be only rating De Jong then. Not anybody else.

You don't even rate both De Jong and Pedri as starters? That would clear only 1 spot in midfield.

mc_lovin

Agree, before Nico's recent games I thought we needed one quality midfielder+one for depth. Now I am fairly in the camp that Nico/Gavi/Busquets/Pedri/Frenkie+1 cheap player with an interesting profile is enough (Zakaria, Kamara, I don't mind Roberto on low wages either). But we will see how Nico fares the rest of the season.

Home of Barca Fans