7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

xXKonan

Had the mentality of a guy who just took a back seat with everything and wasn't willing to do more.

About sums him up these days.

Messigician

I liked his skill move early in the 1st half

Not much else though. I feel like he would have been a better player had he come through the Barca academy. More disciplined for that midfield role

Cule4life

The Culest
With Alena going great guns and Frenkie coming in, he's a luxury player who doesn't have a place here. Take the L and move on.

michelco

seems more often than not just run into a bunch of players and lose the ball. maybe he needs to realise spanish defenders arent big dumb oafs like he was used to in the PL

raskolnikov

160 mil and does nothing but run into defenders, pass sideways or fail his one trick pony shot. Flr 160 mil he should be killing it, not some passenger with a few nice glimpses a match.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
I share the opinion of many others on here. Alena gives us more right now than this guy, but with the slight difference that Alena was for free, Coutinho was 160 freaking millions. Not that far away from what Mbappe went for to make it sound even worse.

Flavius

He was really good last year and I had high hopes from him this season, espacially helping us in UCL. But man, he is floping big time now...

Givenchy

if you look at the recent highest transfer fee players (90-100m+); Pogba, Mbappe, Neymar, you see they all have the attitude to match the pricetag, they don't shy away or hide, they relish the opportunity to be the main man. they are also hugely marketable and are the faces of their respective teams.. you could say they are players you build a team around.

you cant say the same about 160mil Coutinho.. hes a quiet type, not hugely marketable and is more likely to become a new age barca zombie scared to try something different thus he'd rather pass the buck to Messi. we could spend another 300mil on 2 players and we'd still end up 100% relying on Messi - the only player in the squad imo who atleast tries something different is Dembouz. you honestly might aswell save yourself the 160million and keep Denis Suarez. im not saying Denis is as talented obviously but whats the point in paying so much for a talent gimped player

i dont blame Phil for this mess, the board have to be held accountable for blowing that much money on a 80mil at best (even in this market) player. i think Eriksen would of ended up the same with a price tag that huge, probably very few can live up to it

Potroh

This has nothing to do with position it's like he lost his entire passion for football. Can't understand what happened to him. His body language is horrible, like someone is forcing him to play.
His dream was to play for Barca and he now looks lost. Something went wrong but but what? Maybe he has some personal issues.

I think his personal issue is Valverde - personally.
Coutinho doesn't know what to do, what he is expected to do, he plays in a nowhere-man's position, without any confidence whatsoever.

There is an old saying or rule among coaches and I think the problem must be somewhere there...
There are non-creative players (still great players with different advantages) and creative players.
I think we should agree upon that Coutinho is a creative player.

One cannot really coach or instruct a creative player, because he will very soon lose his creativity!
When indsructions are given too often, he will lose his spontaneity, his unpredictability, because instead of improvising, he wants to do whatever he was told to do.
And it is specifically the case if the creative guy is not a trusted regular starter.
These "artists" need to play more or less instinctively, there are enough other players remaining in a team who are good tactical machines.

What I suppose is that EV instructed and wants to instruct Coutinho too much, too intensively, wants to rule and form his game, and that's why Coutinho plays badly, without any belief or confidence.

Too much training might ruin a player's physical body. Too much instructions might mix up his entire footballing brain...

FCB1987

Banned
I've been hesitant to write him off because he showed what he's capable of last season, but his last three months have been Denis level quality.

xXKonan

He was really good last year and I had high hopes from him this season, espacially helping us in UCL. But man, he is floping big time now...
He looked like a guy who had something to prove when he got here and had a lot of people confident.

Right now he's playing like a guy who doesn't have a spot on the team either due to his limitations or just not adapting to what we need or just not having the heart in it to do so. Sure Valverde's system isn't perfect but there's just so much we can blame his problems on the coach and instead of facing reality that perhaps Coutinho's problems are down to him as well.

The only way I could see Coutinho excelling here is if we build the team to his strengths but is he really the guy we should build around? To me no, I would rather build the team around the likes of Dembele, Arthur, De Jong, Alena etc than Coutinho at this point.

Home of Barca Fans