7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

serghei

That attack at the start of the match when Messi stole the ball and went in... assisted to late to Suarez, Suarez didn't return the ball but shot a block. It was all in all so sloppy.

Imo, Suarez shouldn't have played. Another bad choice from Valverde. I could see all the time how careful he played not to get booked. That's like taking away so much of his attributes at no9. I'd rather have played with Coutinho and Messi up top.

Calidad

He is much more of a forward than he ever will be a central midfielder, I don't know why anyone is surprised by this anymore.

Think the complete opposite. He is not a forward. He’s an attacking midfielder.

At Liverpool, he usually played behind three forwards, and he was one of the best players in the league playing that position.

He doesn’t have the attributes to play wide. Just like you don’t get the best of playing Silva, KDB, Isco, Iniesta, Ozil etc wide, you won’t get the best of Coutinho in that position.

JerseyAddict

Imo, Suarez shouldn't have played. Another bad choice from Valverde. I could see all the time how careful he played not to get booked. That's like taking away so much of his attributes at no9. I'd rather have played with Coutinho and Messi up top.

I agree. Suarez is a pitbull type of a player. Lucky he doesn't bite anymore :)

Neeraj

I think there's no need to worry about Coutinho. We always knew we are getting a finished product with him, and I think he's shown plenty so far. You can't blame him when the opponent is sitting back with a scoreline to defend, and he loses the ball trying to do something. He's never going to be as good as Iniesta in the hold up or as precise as Messi in the through balls, but he's the only one who was trying to do something. There's no reason to be worried about Coutinho, I think he's going to become a crucial player for us by next season.

M

MessiCam

I think there's no need to worry about Coutinho. We always knew we are getting a finished product with him, and I think he's shown plenty so far. You can't blame him when the opponent is sitting back with a scoreline to defend, and he loses the ball trying to do something. He's never going to be as good as Iniesta in the hold up or as precise as Messi in the through balls, but he's the only one who was trying to do something. There's no reason to be worried about Coutinho, I think he's going to become a crucial player for us by next season.
Why isn’t this same logic applied for Dembélé?

In my opinion Dembélé had more influence in 15 minutes than Coutinho did in 30.

Anyway, the problem is Valverde misusing his players and then benching them.

Neeraj

Why isn’t this same logic applied for Dembélé?

In my opinion Dembélé had more influence in 15 minutes than Coutinho did in 30.

Anyway, the problem is Valverde misusing his players and then benching them.

Well, IMO, Dembele should be given time too. I think it's unfair to judge him because Valverde doesn't seem to be doing a good job of integrating him into the team. However, tbf, Coutinho is a proven WC player at top club / international level, and Dembele is just a kid who has a lot more to prove than Coutinho. Also, I do think Coutinho has shown more at his time here than Dembele has (although that's not saying much, considering how little Dembele and Coutinho have played so far).

JerseyAddict

I can't judge Dembele or Coutinho. They were introduced when shit hit the can. They should have started. Then they could have been judged.

M

MessiCam

Well, IMO, Dembele should be given time too. I think it's unfair to judge him because Valverde doesn't seem to be doing a good job of integrating him into the team. However, tbf, Coutinho is a proven WC player at top club / international level, and Dembele is just a kid who has a lot more to prove than Coutinho. Also, I do think Coutinho has shown more at his time here than Dembele has (although that's not saying much, considering how little Dembele and Coutinho have played so far).
What do you think Dembélé has been doing for Dortmund and France?

I haven’t seen what Coutinho has done that has been more impressive than Dembélé despite him playing more minutes. Whenever Dembélé plays, even if he gives the ball away easily he creates chances and he creates space for Messi.

That said Valverde is doing a shitty job of getting these guys ready for the business end of the season. They’re never going to defend like defenders or even typical midfielders. It’s just not possible.

serghei

I can't judge Dembele or Coutinho. They were introduced when shit hit the can. They should have started. Then they could have been judged.

Not even that. They need to be given several starts, in a good formula in a row. The see how they do. Paulinho's been shit for two months and still plays. So how come Dembele and Coutinho have to shine right away or they get benched?

If we can afford to roll with Paulinho being as bad as it gets (even worse than Gomes a lot of times), then we can absorb some average performances from Coutinho/Dembele and roll with those to much better use. At least we're developing and integrating players who will actually have some sort of future at Barca, hopefully a great one.

Looking at Paulinho's numbers vs Las Palmas. They only way Coutinho could have been worse in offense as well as in defense, is if he entered the field drunk as a skunk.

Last edited:

JerseyAddict

Not even that. They need to be given several starts, in a good formula in a row. Paulinho's been shit for two months and still plays. So how come Dembele and Coutinho have to shine right away or they get benched.

1. People see their pricetag
2. People are dissappionted and welcomed them as heroes
3. Stars are always judged quick => see 1.

I totaly agree. They are not even regulars.

serghei

I could understand if Coutinho and Dembele were benched because Paulinho is playing so great. In this case, fair play. Man, what can you do, the better man plays... up to Coutinho and Dembele to step it up. But FFS Paulinho and Vidal are horrible. They play because the manager wants to play it safe. So he'd better play players who do nothing, than play players who can make something happen but can also lose the ball more often. Geez, guess what, the players who create stuff are also the ones who lose the ball more often. And the players who are just too bad to get involved in any great actions, are passengers through the whole game.

jumping_box

He did not start yesterday , which means he will be starting on Sunday against Atletico. Hope Dembele will join him from the start of the game.

Home of Barca Fans