7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

ASordidGod

I haven't been that impressed with him at all since he's signed. Lovely goal the other day, and some nice moments, but gives the ball away far too easily. Of course Valverde hasn't made things easier by playing him on the right, but even so I expect a lot more, certainly next season.

serghei

I don't think the best way to integrate new players is to bring them on when you're chasing a game or desperately hunting for a winner. He and Dembele absolutely should have started tonight given they won't start vs Atletico.

Of course not. But he's Valverde. Instead of allowing them to decide games when the pressure is lower, he's putting them on when the pressure is the highest and the opponent is pumped up at 150% defending for dear life.

ASordidGod

Messi lost the ball the entire second half just like Coutinho did in the last minutes.

That is true to an extent. Though Messi has built up so much goodwill over the years he can do pretty much as he likes. Coutninho cost a hundred and fifty mill and needs to prove himself. Like I said before, I do have some sympathy; moving mid season, mis-used by the manager; getting subbed in as a last resort; but we need him to offer more than that.

gatsu

Messi lost the ball the entire second half just like Coutinho did in the last minutes.

Not comparable Messi play style has always been high risk/high reward. Coutinho was not bought to be a Neymar 2.0 but a midfielder who can control the game and bring some added value.

He should lose the ball much less than Messi.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
He was good on the right. Valverde should have kept him there. After switching him to the left he played in the centre too much and that area was overcrowded anyway.

serghei

He was good on the right. Valverde should have kept him there. After switching him to the left he played in the centre too much and that area was overcrowded anyway.

He's better on the left. He was just confused by so many changes late in the game. We've panicked as time was running out and we had to win the game in the last 20 mins after we spent the first 70 minutes just giving the ball to Messi and waiting for him to do something.

At that point, so late in the game, players tried to solve the game by dribbling 2-3 players from Las Palmas (Coutinho, Messi, and Dembele all tried individual actions late in the game with little success, especially Coutinho and Dembele).

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
I know he is better there. But yesterday it made sense to play him on the right.
Dembele on the left would have been better too. Playing more wide and higher up to stretch that side of the pitch. It would have also meant that Digne, who is almost useless in attack, would not have been the only wide outlet on that side.

I do not want to discuss Coutinho's basic strengths and positions but only yesterday's game.

serghei

I know he is better there. But yesterday it made sense to play him on the right.
Dembele on the left would have been better too. Playing more wide and higher up to stretch that side of the pitch. It would have also meant that Digne, who is almost useless in attack, would not have been the only wide outlet on that side.

I do not want to discuss Coutinho's basic strengths and positions but only yesterday's game.

I see. Imo, they kind of panicked, which is why the last 20 mins were very muddled with players not knowing exactly what were they supposed to do. Almost all players did that. They knew the game was important, and I don't think it was a matter of complacency that much, but rather a matter of Valverde picking the wrong tactics and the wrong players for playing this opponent in a must win game.

namaste

Coward. Look at him and Dembele. Both gave so many balls away but at least Dembele was trying to do something. After he moved left he was WAITING FOR A CROSS IN THE BOX WITH HIS 1.72M HEIGHT. Jesus he was supposed to take part in build up. Last 15-20 minutes of game we played like 4-2-4. Rakitic was all alone. We don't need your winger or finisher skills cou. Just take the ball and create chances.

serghei

Guys, don't turn on the players for not being able to win the game in the last 15 mins when Las Palmas were holding for dear life.

Game was lost way before that, when we we had spaces to use but couldn't do it because Suarez was careful to not get a yellow, Paulinho and Vidal were useless, and Messi was all alone getting fouled left and right.

We just had spaces to use but couldn't use them because other than Messi no attacking player was really in the game in the first 60 mins. We played way too cautiously against a team that was there for the taking in the first half.

JerseyAddict

We just had spaces to use but couldn't use them because other than Messi no attacking player was really in the game in the first 60 mins. We played way too cautiously against a team that was there for the taking in the first half.

That attack at the start of the match when Messi stole the ball and went in... assisted to late to Suarez, Suarez didn't return the ball but shot a block. It was all in all so sloppy.

Home of Barca Fans