7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

Sorin

Great dribbling, looks much better when actually decides to be a passer instead of do all himself

That's exactly the issue with him. He still doesn't know when to pass or when to dribble.

It usually like this: you see the open man, you pass. No tricks. The ball travels much faster that way.

Of course there are moments when there is no one open and that is when you keep the ball a little more. You either wait for a man to find some space or you outright take it 1 on 1 with the defender.

Decision making is such an underrated aspect of the game. It's usually the difference between good players and great players. Xavi and Iniesta had as much skill as anyone but what set them apart is the intelligence to make the right move everytime. It's one of Messi's forte as well.

MagIX

Wouldn't mind experimenting with Coutinho and Arthur in midfield with Vidal as the dm since we have a decent point gap. Could work but is incredibly risky.

I agree, but an experiment that cost us 300 millions is ridiculous
The problem is different, we have Suarez and Messi and we spent 300 mio (!!) for Dembele and Coutinho: that means that the coach have bought them with a clear formation in mind, how to field the players, how to make them play togheter, a well-defined team idea. How is possible to spent 300 millions and they never play together ? a 150Mio player always on the bench.....
I would really like to know what was the ideal 11s that the coach had in mind when he wanted Coutinho and Dembele.

Kul_z

I agree, but an experiment that cost us 300 millions is ridiculous
The problem is different, we have Suarez and Messi and we spent 300 mio (!!) for Dembele and Coutinho: that means that the coach have bought them with a clear formation in mind, how to field the players, how to make them play togheter, a well-defined team idea. How is possible to spent 300 millions and they never play together ? a 150Mio player always on the bench.....
I would really like to know what was the ideal 11s that the coach had in mind when he wanted Coutinho and Dembele.

Only way that could work is 433 with busquets, vidal, coutinho behind dembouz suarez messi. But i just cant see the fraudverde pulling the attack bomb lineup, maybe in some parallel universe

El Barcelona

Only way that could work is 433 with busquets, vidal, coutinho behind dembouz suarez messi. But i just cant see the fraudverde pulling the attack bomb lineup, maybe in some parallel universe
Or 4231 with busquets en arthur(o) as double pivot, cou en dembouz on the wing and Messi on the cam.

Sorin

Or 4231 with busquets en arthur(o) as double pivot, cou en dembouz on the wing and Messi on the cam.

Against weak teams I agree. Against the best teams that would be suicide as the gap between Messi and the pivots would be huge. You have to put someone like Kante beside Busi to work. Someone that runs and runs and then runs some more.

El Gato

Villarato!
Against weak teams I agree. Against the best teams that would be suicide as the gap between Messi and the pivots would be huge. You have to put someone like Kante beside Busi to work. Someone that runs and runs and then runs some more.

Or Messi/Coutinho could do a bit of running further back from the #10 position? 4-2-3-1 looks just fine for this team. Only Busquets is the liability. Even Rakitić could slot in.

clemente

4-2-3-1 is way too defensive, we would never score a goal, and we aren't a team that is comfortoble without a ball, we would just concede and concede without creating anything.

Devils

Amazing unreal player.

Have always said it and always will.

Those that hate on this guy are always fighting a losing battle.

I just can't lose.

Arizona Scott

What I say is for League/Copa is stick to the 4-3-3 and rotate starts between Dembele, Coutinho and SUAREZ equally to play with Messi in the forward spots. Give Dembele some time at CF, right now what would Barca do if Suarez got a knock or worse, and we want to keep Suarez fresh for the CL quarters and semis.

Decision making is such an underrated aspect of the game. It's usually the difference between good players and great players. Xavi and Iniesta had as much skill as anyone but what set them apart is the intelligence to make the right move everytime. It's one of Messi's forte as well.

Well those are arguably the 3 best decision makers to lace them up within the last 10 years. I don't know who else is close in terms of reading play, diagnosing the possible moves and executing it naturally?? Busi, Modric, Pirlo, Pique, Lahm???

Arizona Scott

Its absolutely tragic that we are possibly gonna lose Coutinho whilst retaining the completely inaffective Rakitic !!

It is not either/or with these two--they both can contribute with what they do best. Key thing is getting everyone in form, and fresh, so Barca has there 13-14 best players fresh and available for the matches that count most. Coutinho looked much better, like he can contribute moving forward. I personally would like to see Coutinho spell Messi/Dembele sometimes, and Dembele spell Suarez sometimes--so all 4 have a good balance of form and freshness.

Home of Barca Fans