7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

Windhook

90 million is financial suicide. That amount of money will crush him mentally, no doubt in my mind Coutinho will fail playing under such big pressure. Camp Nou will be on his ass even worse than what Andre Gomes experienced this season.

Windhook

90 m isn't much these days. This isn't 2009.

It isn't 2009, but we are still close to 2014. Luis Suarez was signed for 90 million euros. Pogba was signed for 105 million euros. Coutinho's agent is not Mino Raiola, although he pretends to be, but that's unrealistic, total bullshit. I'd rather have Sergi Roberto promoted to Iniesta's role and buy 4-5 right-backs from Serie A/La Liga with these 90 millions.

JamDav1982

It isn't 2009, but we are still close to 2014. Luis Suarez was signed for 90 million euros. Pogba was signed for 105 million euros. Coutinho's agent is not Mino Raiola, although he pretends to be, but that's unrealistic, total bullshit. I'd rather have Sergi Roberto promoted to Iniesta's role and buy 4-5 right-backs from Serie A/La Liga with these 90 millions.

The fact Pogba went for 105m says it all and a year on from that with more money in the game 90m is not far off what teams will be paying for good players from other top clubs.

serghei

Yea, 90m. is now, what 40m. was 3-4 years ago. But smaller clubs won't sell with 90 m. Which is why when a top player emerges from a smaller club, and you have the chance to get him for 35-40, you get him. See Dybala from Palermo. The same player would have been sold for 65-70m. had he played for a bigger club.

xavi_the_Boss

I think for a important Player that has just recently signed a new contract it´s ok.How many years did Pogba have left on his Juve contract?

Windhook

Sorry fellas, I'm with @Messi983 on that one. 90 million is cosmic fee given the fact that no other club in Europe is in major interest in Coutinho's services. No Real Madrid in sight on this player, either, which wasn't the case in Suarez, nor Pogba's transfers.

When you have clubs like RM and Man Utd in transfer race the sum raises +20 million, at least.

If contracts are the case then I suggest we go after Paulo Dybala for 110-115 million, just to break the record. (He just signed a new contract)

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Sorry fellas, I'm with @Messi983 on that one. 90 million is cosmic fee given the fact that no other club in Europe is in major interest in Coutinho's services. No Real Madrid in sight on this player, either, which wasn't the case in Suarez, nor Pogba's transfers.

When you have clubs like RM and Man Utd in transfer race the sum raises +20 million, at least.

If contracts are the case then I suggest we go after Paulo Dybala for 110-115 million, just to break the record. (He just signed a new contract)

It is not so much about how many clubs are in for a player it is what the likes of Liverpool would want for the player and there is so much money in that league they dont have to sell.

Wait and see 90m will not be a huge huge fee in the near future. The best players could already probably go for close to 200m.

Jombi

I don't know anything about Vicinius but if he is an elite talent ('new Neymar') then Real Madrid gambling on him is understandable as the rewards could be potentially great.

Coutinho is almost 25. A good player sure but also overhyped with his inconsistent displays ignored due to him scoring a worldy shot from 30 yards every 10 games or so. At that price I don't see why Barca would want to get involved.

Just saying that Vicinius for 60m euros, a player who is 16 years old and hasnt even made his debut in the top division in Brazil, tells us what type of money that is in the game. You cant seriously expect Coutinho who is a starter for a very rich club, to be as cheap as someone who has shown so little as Vicinius. Vicinius might be the new Ronaldo and Neymar and Maradona, but at 16 years old and so little experience, that is some serious money.

Last edited:

Messi983

What people often forgot when talking about huge transfer fees is that's not the only cost clubs have. Of course there are clubs capable and willing to pay those fees for good players but there are also agent fees, taxes and of course we can't forget about players wages. You can't pay 90m for a player and then say him "ok, we are only willing to pay you 3m or 5m/year", you have to pay him 8-10m or maybe more. And then when other players that have already been around and have done something for the club usually also want to get new contract/pay raise when they see what you just paid to the newcomer that hasn't done anything yet for the club. Teams have to take all of that into consideration when making big transfers like that. That's especially true in Barça's case because our wage scale is already worrying but even speaking generally for 100m tranfer fee you actually have to spend around 200m in total when you also include players wages, agent fees and taxes. For 200m transfer total cost would be around 350-400m. That's 50-60% of revenues for a club like RM. Even for them that would be too much to spend it on one player.

Top clubs will get richer and RM, Barça, United and possibly someone else will eventually break 1 billion revenue mark in 8-10 years but at the same time they will have to raise wages to keep their current stars happy so I don't think bigger total revenues will actually have that big impact that those clubs would be able to pay 200m transfer fee with all additional costs I mentioned above.

Jombi

What people often forgot when talking about huge transfer fees is that's not the only cost clubs have. Of course there are clubs capable and willing to pay those fees for good players but there are also agent fees, taxes and of course we can't forget about players wages. You can't pay 90m for a player and then say him "ok, we are only willing to pay you 3m or 5m/year", you have to pay him 8-10m or maybe more. And then when other players that have already been around and have done something for the club usually also want to get new contract/pay raise when they see what you just paid to the newcomer that hasn't done anything yet for the club. Teams have to take all of that into consideration when making big transfers like that. That's especially true in Barça's case because our wage scale is already worrying but even speaking generally for 100m tranfer fee you actually have to spend around 200m in total when you also include players wages, agent fees and taxes. For 200m transfer total cost would be around 350-400m. That's 50-60% of revenues for a club like RM. Even for them that would be too much to spend it on one player.

Top clubs will get richer and RM, Barça, United and possibly someone else will eventually break 1 billion revenue mark in 8-10 years but at the same time they will have to raise wages to keep their current stars happy so I don't think bigger total revenues will actually have that big impact that those clubs would be able to pay 200m transfer fee with all additional costs I mentioned above.

More like 10% or less of the revenues for a club like RM. You are comparing the total investment for a player over 5 or 6 years with annual revenue (which is increasing rapidly every year).

Uniteds revenue has doubled in the past 5 years. Its now 690m euros. They can reach 1 billion in revenue sooner than you think.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans