5 - Carles Puyol

spark

This man is one of the best persons to pass through this club. They should do away with the armband after he retires because no one else will ever measure up to this icon :worthy:.

puyol-besa-brazalete-rf_3817.jpg

Maria

I still believe he is our best defender when he is fit. He still has two good season for sure.

Since 2010 Puyol only played 300 more minutes than Abidal..so saying that he is our best defender when fit is like saying that Adriano is the perfect squad player 'when fit'. Not to mention that if one of them was our best defender when fit, that wasn't Puyol. And that person was forced out after they promised him a new contract in December and the other one has signed a contract until 2016.

He says he wants to play until he's 40, lol. I don't see it happening, even if he wants to :(

And before that he said that he was playing with an injury ever since the game against PSG(4 August) :D..and what has the club done since then? Signed Song(on 18 August) and Neymar and gave Puyol a new contract until 2016. No wonder that they considered this a good season.:lol:

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Since 2010 Puyol only played 300 more minutes than Abidal..so saying that he is our best defender when fit is like saying that Adriano is the perfect squad player 'when fit'. Not to mention that if one of them was our best defender when fit, that wasn't Puyol. And that person was forced out after they promised him a new contract in December and the other one has signed a contract until 2016.

Hardly forced out, they clearly dont think Abidal has a future at the top level and Abidal does not.

It is that simple.

Abidal was treated with class by Barcelona.

Maria

Hardly forced out, they clearly dont think Abidal has a future at the top level and Abidal does not.

It is that simple.

Abidal was treated with class by Barcelona.

No he wasn't..making somone a promise that you can't/won't keep is not my definition of class.

BarcaVillain

Paying someone 60-70k a week who is no longer capable of contributing to the team just doesn't make any sense though. I accept it appears harsh but I don't think there is a club in the world that would take on that sort of financial situation. Would it have been best for his health to have continued playing anyway?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
No he wasn't..making somone a promise that you can't/won't keep is not my definition of class.

I agree and saying or the board thinking that Abi has no future at top level is weird as the same Abi outperformed a fully fit player like Pique in the matches he played.

Abi wont get back to his world class form, BUT he is still a good player. A solid player who could have been kept as a rotation option. Abi is also a leader and a motivator.

Maria

Paying someone 60-70k a week who is no longer capable of contributing to the team just doesn't make any sense though. I accept it appears harsh but I don't think there is a club in the world that would take on that sort of financial situation. Would it have been best for his health to have continued playing anyway?

Then, like I said, don't go around making promisses that you can't keep and don't presume of being better than other clubs when you're not.

ryuken

:tito:any1?

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
The day Puyol retires a small part of me dies... he can continue as long as he wants...

So true. Although I don't like the fact we, as a club, seem to hold on to players longer than needed, I don't want to see Puyol retire :( My first shirt has Puyol 5 on the back, still love wearing it. True captain with lion's spirit and was once one of the best CBs in the world.

Love seeing him once run for presidency or head coach :wub:

Home of Barca Fans