4 - Ronald Araújo

Windhook

I'd say Ramos is no1 defender of his generation basically.

In the long run I have to agree. But nothing came close to pre-Shakira Pique (2009-2012). That guy was absolute beast, Ramos never reached his level in ability, but won more trophies meanwhile Pique got distracted with other ventures and rapidly declined.

jamrock

I'm taking Pique at his best over Silva & pepe everyday of the week.

People are sleeping on how good the man was at his best, you can't win all the things he did & not he a all time great defender.

Not the best but up there.

jamrock

In the long run I have to agree. But nothing came close to pre-Shakira Pique (2009-2012). That guy was absolute beast, Ramos never reached his level in ability, but won more trophies meanwhile Pique got distracted with other ventures and rapidly declined.

Yep this

KingLeo10

In the long run I have to agree. But nothing came close to the pre-Shakira Pique (2009-2012). That guy was absolute beast, Ramos never reached his level in ability, but won more trophies meanwhile Pique got distracted with other ventures and rapidly declined.

Pique's best season was actually 14-15, where we only conceded 37 goals in 60 games while running rampant with the treble. All this while having a world class midfield but not a legendary one like from 08-12.

I would say that version of Pique is probably better than any single one of Ramos' seasons, but Ramos destroys him on longevity and has the distinction that a Ramos led defense never got blown out in the CL KOs. Can't say the same for Pique unfortunately.

jamrock

Ramos has never played for a defense as shitty as ours though.

I'll put Ramons above pique but only just.

For me pique was better whenever they both played for Spain, during there winning everything run.

Windhook

Pique's best season was actually 14-15, where we only conceded 37 goals in 60 games while running rampant with the treble. All this while having a world class midfield but not a legendary one like from 08-12.

The goals conceded was effort by a good form Pique, great Mascherano and Claudio Bravo. Of course it was a great defensive line up, but remember that from that Real Sociedad game in early January 2015 until the end of that season our attacking force was unstoppable.

serghei

Imo, Pique must have annoyed the shit out of Pep in 2011-12. Easily, the biggest individual decline from 2011 to 2012 from our legendary team.

KingLeo10

The goals conceded was effort by a good form Pique, great Mascherano and Claudio Bravo. Of course it was a great defensive line up, but remember that from that Real Sociedad game in early January 2015 until the end of that season our attacking force was unstoppable.

I agree, I'm not saying he was solely responsible. But look at our fullbacks, both very attacking minded (Alves, Alba. Alba is also suspect defensively as we've found out since).

Masche had just come off an amazing WC and was clearly declining. If we watch the Juve CL final closely, Pique was dominating in the air and holding the very physical Juve side at bay (along with Rakitic and Suarez).

jamrock

Doesnt need another physical beast beside him, that's a bad combo, if Garcia works out he would be the perfect complement, or someone similar

KingLeo10

The perfect CB pairing to me for the modern game is Rio and Vidic. This is why I rate our CL win in 2009 very, very highly. That was a legendary United side and we were a class above still.

serghei

Look at Liverpool with Konate and van Dijk. Both 194cm monsters. Thats what I want for Barca. I’ll sacrifice some technical ability for a more sound defense.

But Van Dijk is unique in that he's basically a joker card CB, 2 in 1. Organizer, leader, technical passer, but also fast and strong and great tackler. If Vand Dijk was like this and he was 23-24, he'd be more expensive than Mbappe.

You won't find someone like Van Dijk. You'll have to trade some power and athleticism for passing, technique, reading of the game normally.

Last edited:

Windhook

I agree, I'm not saying he was solely responsible. But look at our fullbacks, both very attacking minded (Alves, Alba. Alba is also suspect defensively as we've found out since).

Masche had just come off an amazing WC and was clearly declining. If we watch the Juve CL final closely, Pique was dominating in the air and holding the very physical Juve side at bay (along with Rakitic and Suarez).

Surely, I agree with you, we had a great team back in 2015, but discussing the individual performances of Ramos generation defenders, for me nothing comes close to Gerard Pique in 2010. He was key for Spain in winning the World Cup and was brilliant both in defence and attack.

Home of Barca Fans