3 - Gerard Pique

Total-Football

Yes, well said. The problem is not as much Messi himself, but his legions of fans that made him a "fake" role model in other areas than just being an all-time great footballer, among the best that's ever been.

There's the same problem with Federer as well. Not particularly worthy of following outside the tennis court. Quite unlikable as well.

Really.. Why so ? (Federer)

JohnN

Yes, well said. The problem is not as much Messi himself, but his legions of fans that made him a "fake" role model in other areas than just being an all-time great footballer, among the best that's ever been.

There's the same problem with Federer as well. Not particularly worthy of following outside the tennis court. Quite unlikable as well.

I don't quite understand why someone would follow anyone outside his professional work. Except if he is a stalker or something. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass what any "celebrity" does outside his work environment and why would I? Except if they are so bad of a person I can't even stand looking at them (in a football match, a stand up show or whatever).
People don't, or shouldn't, admire athletes for anything outside their sport. Same goes for actors, singers, etc.
To me, the part about being a role model, concerns each one's profession and not their whole life. Apart from that, whoever feels SO freaking righteous can judge anyone I guess. On a personal level, I don't.

gregorrin10

Nice description of Djokovic.

serghei

I don't quite understand why someone would follow anyone outside his professional work. Except if he is a stalker or something. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass what any "celebrity" does outside his work environment and why would I? Except if they are so bad of a person I can't even stand looking at them (in a football match, a stand up show or whatever).
People don't, or shouldn't, admire athletes for anything outside their sport. Same goes for actors, singers, etc.
To me, the part about being a role model, concerns each one's profession and not their whole life. Apart from that, whoever feels SO freaking righteous can judge anyone I guess. On a personal level, I don't.

OK, so if I say he's greedy and a bit of a cunt off the field, why does it bother people? They should just ignore it, but they can't because it tarnishes their idea of Messi as not only an amazing player but a great guy as well.

KingLeo10

Djokovic and Nadal are far more genuine about their emotions than Federer who is Mr. Righteous and has a legion of fanfare dedication that IMO even surpasses Messi/CR7's (though these two have more fans of course).

Just recently, I was on a tennis forum where people were genuinely offering up their "healthy" knees for Federer after his latest announcement of requiring another knee surgery. Imagine this behavior :lol:

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Djokovic and Nadal are far more genuine about their emotions than Federer who is Mr. Righteous and has a legion of fanfare dedication that IMO even surpasses Messi/CR7's (though these two have more fans of course).

Just recently, I was on a tennis forum where people were genuinely offering up their "healthy" knees for Federer after his latest announcement of requiring another knee surgery. Imagine this behavior :lol:

Bet a few people here would do the same for Messi.

Didn't you mention once in chat that a guy on Barcaforum offered his wife to Pep or something along those lines. :lol:

JohnN

OK, so if I say he's greedy and a bit of a cunt off the field, why does it bother people? They just just ignore it, but they can't, because it tarnishes their idea of Messi as not only an amazing player but a great guy as well.

It bothers people because you call him "a bit of a cunt" for every single thing he does or not, in our out of the field.

Messi wants to leave Barca: a cunt. a greedy one.
Messi stays after wanting to leave: a coward cunt that doesn't want a challenge. and a greedy one also.
Messi agrees to only 50% pay cut and not an arbitrary number you would prefer: a cunt and greedy.
Messi talks to Man City: a cunt and super greedy
Messi talks / goes to PSG: a cunt and ultra greedy. Also a coward that doesn't want a REAL challenge.
Messi has a barbeque: a fat cunt with amigos
Messi talks back to the coach (setien): a spoilt cunt, who opposes a coach even if he is super bad.
Messi supports the coach (ev): a spoilt veteran cunt who supports a super bad coach and wants his amigos.
Aguero is signed: Messi is a cunt that controls Barca
Messi ends up leaving: Still a cunt.

There is no silver lining with you when it comes to Messi, that's the issue. Confirmation bias at it's finest.

serghei

It bothers people because you call him "a bit of a cunt" for every single thing he does or not, in our out of the field.

Messi wants to leave Barca: a cunt. a greedy one.
Messi stays after wanting to leave: a coward cunt that doesn't want a challenge. and a greedy one also.
Messi agrees to only 50% pay cut and not an arbitrary number you would prefer: a cunt and greedy.
Messi talks to Man City: a cunt and super greedy
Messi talks / goes to PSG: a cunt and ultra greedy. Also a coward that doesn't want a REAL challenge.
Messi has a barbeque: a fat cunt with amigos
Messi talks back to the coach (setien): a spoilt cunt, who opposes a coach even if he is super bad.
Messi supports the coach (ev): a spoilt veteran cunt who supports a super bad coach and wants his amigos.
Aguero is signed: Messi is a cunt that controls Barca
Messi ends up leaving: Still a cunt.

There is no silver lining with you when it comes to Messi, that's the issue. Confirmation bias at it's finest.

You're making this up. :lol:

I called him a cunt about two times in total.

serghei

Of course I am making SOME of it up for comedic purposes. But you will find most people here will agree that this is your stance in it's essence.

But from those 10 items on your list, you have 2-3 templates (all fit the same behavior type), which have all been validated almost.

It's been all but proven that the amigo clan theory was and is real (man joined the team filled with his friends and even publicly cited that as a main reason for him joining PSG). So, why do you list that? That needs to go if fairness is your aim.

Also, strip the ones referring to him chasing money, that's been proven as well (tax evasion and astronomical wages further ruining the club, leaving when the club couldn't afford him anymore, and signing for an oil club with unlimited money resources).

So, you're left with some harsh criticism, but mostly valid on not Messi the player, but Messi the individual off the field.

soul24rage

On the tax evasion of Messi, think he was charged for the years of 2007-2009, which was when he was like 19-21??

I really doubt he knows a topic as complex as Tax especially at that age. (I blame more on his father in this regard)

The Spanish tax laws are very murky from what I've seen with many footballers and coaches being charged for tax evasion more in Spain than in any other countries.

Not saying that he's 100% innocent, but something to keep in mind.

Home of Barca Fans