3 - Gerard Pique

serghei

Pique is a bit like Pedro in that Pep side. Top player, did his part, but completely replaceable and even upgradeable. That's not really a criticism of Pique. Really not that special of a player, but a top one.

Van Dijk is a better, more complete defender. OK, so probably Van Dijk isn't as gifted technically as to score the goal scored by Pique vs Inter or vs Madrid in 2009. But that's what, 2-3 goals in 2-3 years. Overall, in terms of defensive ability, aerial threat, set pieces threat, normal passing, long ball, and positioning, Van Dijk is just a superior defender.

JamDav1982

True re gerrards performances.

He also throw away the league title with that slip though so minus .5 for that

If Messi scored pen v Chelsea he might have as many CLs as Ronaldo.

Never ending debate if want to start looking at what players didnt do.

Liverpool may have lost that day anyway or may never have been so close had Gerrard not been in team.

Barcilliant

Pique is just lucky he got to be part of a great team and era. He's too soft, distracted and has a huge ego to boot.
He should hang up his boots now.
I think the media reports about Xavi and the club speaking to him are bs.
I'd take Puyol,Marquez,Militia and even Mascherano over Pique anyday.

jamrock

Messi 100% gets minus points from me for that miss in my book. No bias here, that shit still stings.

Knew he would miss the moment he walked up.

Barcilliant

Pique is a bit like Pedro in that Pep side. Top player, did his part, but completely replaceable and even upgradeable. That's not really a criticism of Pique. Really not that special of a player, but a top one.

Van Dijk is a better, more complete defender. OK, so probably Van Dijk isn't as gifted technically as to score the goal scored by Pique vs Inter or vs Madrid in 2009. But that's what, 2-3 goals in 2-3 years. Overall, in terms of defensive ability, aerial threat, set pieces threat, normal passing, long ball, and positioning, Van Dijk is just a superior defender.

Totally agree plus VVD doesn't get bullied off the ball or caught asleep like Pique.

jamrock

Pique is just lucky he got to be part of a great team and era. He's too soft, distracted and has a huge ego to boot.

You said the greatest midfield 3 ever would get walked so your opinion doesn't count in these matters.

Relax.

JamDav1982

I agree with that he was too easily distracted.

He too often looks to bitch at refs and smirk as if whole world is out to get him rather than organising the defence.

The ability to lead and organise a defence is something all top defenders had.. Pique doesnt and too often when he was asked to do that the defence collapsed and suffered some of worst performances in club history many times.

Obviously not all on him but he played a big part in those thumpings.

Barcilliant

Messi 100% gets minus points from me for that miss in my book. No bias here, that shit still stings.

Knew he would miss the moment he walked up.

Messi has to take blame for that but Pep also. That team was Peps wet dream midget tiki taka side.
If we had some more physicality and directness we would have sneaked through.

jamrock

Funny thing re this pique vs VVD debate is 30 years from this unless VVD turns it around the world will remember pique has being better.

Givenchy

I agree with that he was too easily distracted.

He too often looks to bitch at refs and smirk as if whole world is out to get him rather than organising the defence.

The ability to lead and organise a defence is something all top defenders had.. Pique doesnt and too often when he was asked to do that the defence collapsed and suffered some of worst performances in club history many times.

Obviously not all on him but he played a big part in those thumpings.

I always think of that scene where Pique picked up a lighter and Puyol grabs it from his hand and throws it off the pitch. Pique always needed babysitting.

JamDav1982

Xaviesta and Busquets are not the greatest midfield. They got blown away by a Bayern team. Madrid midfield owned Bayern.

Real have never won the CL with a midfield performing to the level that Xavi, Iniest and Bsuquets did at their peak.

That Bayern game was a lot more than just those three not performing around it and Real have had a number of thrashings also.

Temptation

Funny thing re this pique vs VVD debate is 30 years from this unless VVD turns it around the world will remember pique has being better.

Nope. More and more people are starting to call Pique overrated. Pique already doesn't have the respect or ratings Ramos or Puyol have in these discussions. People associate Pique with way too many iconic thrashings. When people fawn over that Barca side with Nostalgia, no one talks about Pique. It's all Messi Xavi Iniesta Alves Pep etc.

In 30 years more and more people start noticing the obvious fallacy in rating players just by team trophies.

jamrock

Nope. More and more people are starting to call Pique overrated. Pique already doesn't have the respect or ratings Ramos or Puyol have. People associate Pique with way too many iconic thrashings. When people fawn over that Barca side with Nostalgia, no one talks about Pique. It's all Messi Xavi Iniesta Alves Pep etc.

In 30 years more and more people start noticing the obvious fallacy in rating players just by team trophies.

Yea because he's been too much of a joker recently which has taken off his shine, after a few years that will be forgotten and the record will remain & the record isn't even close.

Some hardcore fans 30 years from now will. Say VVD but the casual fan which is most, will say pique.

VVD gotta start winning, is winning record is meh.

Home of Barca Fans