3 - Alejandro Balde

JamDav1982

Jammy fighting with himself, because he can find anyone to fight lol.

Nah no fight required.

But when folk claim shite like this formation favours FDJ etc ahead of other player.... too easy to correct.

FDJ absolute class again.

Top player.

Club lucky they have him.

Redbuck

Dembele can?t play wing back

Well, who would you have there then ? The main thing he needs to provide is width. And besides, Dembele's defensive contributions have improved since Xavi arrived (though not at the same level as that of Raphinha of course)

Porque

Midfield quartet favours all our mids coz none of the trio combinations are elite level as a trio.

We're getting pumped in Europe if we go back to a midfield trio unless we manage to sign a world class DMC and dump Busi, but never happening for variety of reasons.

Redbuck

Midfield quartet favours all our mids coz none of the trio combinations are elite level as a trio.

We're getting pumped in Europe if we go back to a midfield trio unless we manage to sign a world class DMC and dump Busi, but never happening for variety of reasons.

Yeah, but we'll need a faster striker to make it more effective. Xavi would also need to work on counter attacks, finishing, and Gavi needs to add more creativity to his game reduce the burden on Pedri. I think all these can be fixed during this summer's pre-season. The potential for this 3-4-2-1/3-2-2-3 (or whatever you want to call it) is there, just needs to work on a few issues to make it more effective. It's really glad to see that Xavi is now implementing what he used in Qatar to good effect, and not living/dying by the 4-3-3 like most of our previous managers

Last edited:

Porque

Yeah, but we'll need a faster striker to make it more effective. Xavi would also need to work on counter attacks, finishing, and Gavi needs to add more creativity to his game reduce the burden on Pedri. I think all these can be fixed during this summer's pre-season. The potential for this 3-4-2-1/3-2-2-3 (or whatever you want to call it) is there, just needs to work on a few issues to make it more effective. It's really glad to see that Xavi is now implementing what he used in Qatar to good effect, and not living/dying by the 4-3-3 like most of our previous managers

I'm with you on this one. This will/should be our go to setup in Europe, especially away.

Said in another thread, that if our finances allow no signings, that for games we plan for countering we could go with Dembele-Raphi as the front two. I know neither are clinical but Koeman got good moments out of Dembele as a forward.

Seen a bit of Vitor Roque and high potential, but doesn't seem to have outstanding pace. If we can squeeze finances for a loan+transfer then we will probably go that way.

Just read this tidbit.

"That’s because David’s asking price is likely to drop below the ?40m mark this summer. According to Jonathan Johnson, writing for CaughtOffside, David could be on the move, with Lille lowering their valuation.

“I think it’s fair to say that the price tag for David may have been a little unrealistic last summer, we were talking upwards of maybe €70m for a player who went through quite a lengthy goal drought during last season.

“He’s got back to a good level of consistency this season, and there’s a lot of interest in him now from clubs in Germany. I think clubs will also be aware now that his price tag will most likely have been slashed to something below €50m,” Johnson wrote."

Jonathan David is probably the best consistent scorer with high potential that has not moved to a top club. Under 50m is a great fee. We can all dream, eh?

Redbuck

A Raphinha-Dembele front two isn't the best as none of are clinical in front of goal, and playing them upfront literally kills our RW as we have no offensive RB to make up for it.

Raketa10

For counter attacking football you need to have fast players. However, the only fast player we currently have is Dembele. Imagine if Messi comes back, than any idea of trying to play counter attacking football is gone. Aditionaly, if Messi does come back than our current 4-4-2 or 4-2-2-2 would mean that both Dembele and Raphiha will be benched so I don't think we'll utilize this system next season.

Redbuck

@ Porque, Jonathan David's numbers this season are good this season (21g in 30 apps), but his overall numbers at Lille aren't too convincing for a club like Barca (53g in 126 apps). I wouldn't call him a consistent goalscorer, but his numbers are decent. I doubt if he would come to be Lewy's sub when he can be a starter at many other clubs, especially at this point of his career when he needs to start games way more than ever.

Redbuck

For counter attacking football you need to have fast players. However, the only fast player we currently have is Dembele. Imagine if Messi comes back, than any idea of trying to play counter attacking football is gone. Aditionaly, if Messi does come back than our current 4-4-2 or 4-2-2-2 would mean that both Dembele and Raphiha will be benched so I don't think we'll utilize this system next season.

I don't really think the idea is for us to play counter attacking football, but for us to have players who are very effective if we find ourselves in counter attacking situations, ala Bayern Munich. I don't want Messi back, and I don't think we need him back anyway (for both sporting and financial reasons). We need to cut 200m from wages by next season and we aren't even done with that, not to even talk of having the money to sign Messi back.

Home of Barca Fans