24 - Thomas Vermaelen

ppxrare

When talking about current natural CBs, he's prob the shortest. I've heard from those who've seen him closely being surprised by his small stature. He's got a great leap no doubt, but tall he's not.
In this pic, he looks slightly shorter than Ivan. I'd say he's `5.11

el-tridente-titular-y-vermaelen-otra-vez-en-el-once.jpg

You seem to imply Verm has never commited errors in the big matches he's played so far. Moreover, you can't just test a new CB in the big games, rather your best and most consistent CB duo who always get the nod, which is the smart and safe thing to do.. And as long as Verm is not our regular starting CB, I doubt L.E's gonna straight away entrust him in the more important fixtures.

that exactly proves my point, you can't always rely on the "safe" option just because you are afraid of the unknown and like I said in my previous post, he really isn't that safe considering he probably has the most screwups in big games compared to the other defenders (e.g. Real Madrid and Benzema, from last season the semi final vs Bayern where in the away game we were getting destroyed by crosses and Lewandowski easily tricked him and scored a goal, the final match where he fell down easily trying to reach Morata which led to a really dangerous attack)

We always said Valdes is crucial to the team and no other keeper can be have good reflexes and good ball skills and so we stayed with the "safe" option and accepted his deficiencies and look at us now.

JamDav1982

that exactly proves my point, you can't always rely on the "safe" option just because you are afraid of the unknown and like I said in my previous post, he really isn't that safe considering he probably has the most screwups in big games compared to the other defenders (e.g. Real Madrid and Benzema, from last season the semi final vs Bayern where in the away game we were getting destroyed by crosses and Lewandowski easily tricked him and scored a goal, the final match where he fell down easily trying to reach Morata which led to a really dangerous attack)

We always said Valdes is crucial to the team and no other keeper can be have good reflexes and good ball skills and so we stayed with the "safe" option and accepted his deficiencies and look at us now.

That game against Bayern last season was going to be a difficult one for any defender as Barca left the front three forward to force an open game.

Do you remember the last time Barca played Bayern without Masch? They scored seven goals in two games and the team got destroyed in the air and on the break.

Pique was the best defender in the world last season and still had plenty of fuck ups. If you ask defenders to play the way they do at Barca then it is inevitable.

At CB for Barca Masch has won two CLs with amongst if not the best defensive record, has been named Barca player of the year and been called hi best signing by Pep Guardiola..... yet all people seem to want to focus on is his errors. Errors that EVERY centre back in the world will make.

Barbaro

:worthy: Belgian press were going bonkers after the Sevilla game that our defence sucks and that it's impossible that Vermaelen doesn't start. Well, oops.

After 5 years of needing a centre back we buy the Verminator :lol: Madre mia.

Umm so...what else do Belgian press say we should do?:blush:

xXKonan

I Expect Verm to overtake Mathieu and Bartra in the pecking order but Obviously once pique comes back he will return to the bench.

I do like our Roberto-Masche-Verm-Alba backline though very solid so far. and the Masche-Verm Partnership is a good alternative to Pique-Masche.

SocalBarcaFan

looking forward for Pique-Verma partnership

Think it has the most potential of all our cb duos. For no other reason other than Masche's lack of aerial prowess is such a detriment to the team at times. Everything else Mascherano brings to the team I love. I'm happy whatever way Lucho wants to go. I'll just be sad for Masche if he doesn't get consistent playing time. I guess he'll still get plenty of minutes rotating at cb and at CDM

Kuchi

I'll wait until the Atletico game before joining the hype train, still the best surprise of this season debut.

Home of Barca Fans