21 - Frenkie de Jong

serghei

Both Arthur and De Jong are world class probably right now, or about as close as it gets these days. The problem is they are pass & movers. Pass it and move, keep the flow, find the pockets, receive here, go there, switch play, one-twos, that sort of stuff. Basically the old Barca style, not this turgid stuff we play now.

We've got the ingredients, but we don't have the chef guys.

serghei

There is no elite club in the world today where players are asked to be as individually decisive as often as the Barca players are. No other club.

At every other big club the system and the manager helps the players and improves them by using them wisely. At Barcelona, we put pressure on the players to deliver on their own what the management is not capable to: top cohesive football week after week.

Last edited:

JPM85

There is no elite club in the world today where players are asked to be as individually decisive as often as the Barca players are. No other club.

At every other big club the system and the manager helps the players and improves them by using them wisely. At Barcelona, we put pressure on the players to deliver on their own what the management is not capable to: top cohesive football week after week.

Could not agree more. We have a gift in hands of a decent coach, but this slow turtle play we have to do is shit

fergus90

That's true and expectations must be grounded, he is relatively young and experiencing a new league with a new language. He had superb games last year but calling him a generational talent only inflates the expectations of him unnecessarily.

xXKonan

FDJ is a guy who excels with the ball down deep with movement in front of him.

But occasionally he will show his mobility and athleticism and burst forward with the ball and attack. But what we saw vs Betis and today, playing him up the pitch nearly as a winger without being involved down deep won't suit him at all.

I think he could play as a CM in the middle of a 4-3-3, but not like what Valverde has tried to use him. Arthur from what we have seen today is likely more suited to play as the more attacking CM than someone like FDJ by the looks of it.

EdmondDantes

I feel for him with Valverde here. I watched the game on Movistar (stream) and the commentator said he was poor and should have been replace sooner but I disagree; I thought he was OK, especially in the second half.

He'll come good for sure.

serghei

I feel for him with Valverde here. I watched the game on Movistar (stream) and the commentator said he was poor and should have been replace sooner but I disagree; I thought he was OK, especially in the second half.

He'll come good for sure.

He was decent to ok in a very limiting role. De Jong should normally have two times more touches than someone like Alba or Roberto. It's crazy the football we're playing at the moment.

Arthur and De Jong should have the most number of touches and passes in the team. It's not even debatable. As a possession team, your creative midfielders are the ones who should pull the strings with the passes.

EdmondDantes

He was decent to ok in a very limiting role. De Jong should normally have two times more touches than someone like Alba or Roberto. It's crazy the football we're playing at the moment.

Arthur and De Jong should have the most number of touches and passes in the team. It's not even debatable. As a possession team, your creative midfielders are the ones who should pull the strings with the passes.

It would be idea if De Jong were given a string of games as the pivot/DM - but Busquets has started the season in decent form, so that's not quite happening yet.

The trio of Sergio, De Jong & Arthur did look interesting for 20 minutes in that second half.

xxxxxx

I'm literally not going to criticize him at all. He's obviously playing out of position.... and it wouldn't surprise me if Valverde is telling him to switch to the wing when there's space there.

Danic

Hes simply wasted in that position. Has to play in the fucking centre to control the game. Dont know we he always goes wide.

Home of Barca Fans