21 - Frenkie de Jong

serghei

Didn't you say this midfielder is stacked or similiar?

Stacked? Probably not my wording :lol:. I said the midfield is our best compartment. It's pretty clear to me, looking at our bad defense, our sub-mediocre keeper (proven mid-table on shot-stopping abilities), and an attack comprised of mostly rejects from B-level teams.

If we can sell De Jong and add a better midfielder or improve our attack and defense I'm all for it.

I don't know what the big deal is. Any manager has the right to form the team he wants and believes he can improve with. I'd keep De Jong, but he hasn't been great for us, under any manager. Can certainly be dispensed with based on what he showed so far in the 3 years since he came.

Last edited:

wisconsincule

I just cannot get behind selling FDJ to fund Lewandowski or whoever.

Seems like a massive massive mistake.

Let’s sell the player we bought to replace Busquets and just keep Busquets. This fucking club. Just when I think we are turning a corner.

serghei

Based on the rumors, the plan would be to get Bernardo Silva as a replacement for De Jong in the interior position. Bernardo for De Jong would be a good swap. Although I'd prioritize Kounde and Raphinha.

But maybe we can get all of Kounde, Raphinha, and Berardo Silva, and that would basically improve all 3 compartments. Nobody knows exactly. Rumors are all over the place.

I'd say wait a bit. Laporta and Xavi are the most who benefit from an improved team. The pressure is on them to deliver. Especially if we have money to spend. You can't blame it on Bartomeu if you have 200m to invest and you fuck it up.

Last edited:

vegitot

Based on the rumors, the plan would be to get Bernardo Silva as a replacement for De Jong in the interior position. Bernardo for De Jong would be a good swap. Although I'd prioritize Kounde and Raphinha.

But maybe we can get all of Kounde, Raphinha, and Berardo Silva, and that would basically improve all 3 compartments. Nobody knows exactly. Rumors are all over the place.

I say wait a bit. Laporta and Xavi are the most who benefit from an improved team. The pressure is on them to deliver. Especially if we have money to spend. You can't blame it on Bartomeu if you have 200m to invest and you fuck it up.

Raphinha will join Arsenal.

malvolio

Imagine Pep, who is known to buy lots of midfielders, passes the chance to get elite midfielder FDJ. And that in a summer when City will probably lose Fernandinho, Gundogan and Bernardo.

serghei

Imagine Pep, who is known to buy lots of midfielders, passes the chance to get elite midfielder FDJ. And that in a summer when City will probably lose Fernandinho, Gundogan and Bernardo.

Pep plays a 4-3-3, so whatever problems he had at Barcelona he will get them at City, possibly even more because City's team is a couple of levels above us. Rodri is a top DM, and FdJ is not so good in a De Bruyne role because he is mediocre going forward.

FDJ is not elite btw. He was expected to make the next step, but never did so far.

malvolio

Pep plays a 4-3-3, so whatever problems he had at Barcelona he will get them at City, possibly even more because City's team is a couple of levels above us. Rodri is a top DM, and FdJ is not so good in a De Bruyne role because he is mediocre going forward.

FDJ is not elite btw. He was expected to make the next step, but never did so far.

Wasn't me who called him elite. I was being sarcastic.

Joan

This narrative that he hasn't succeeded because of wrong roles is misleading. While it is true Barca hasn't employed the system that suited him the most (whatever that is), his main problem here has been consistency. In a sense that he can't keep high level for long enough. He had great months and average ones playing out of his preferred positions.

It won't be easy to replace him as he is a reliably solid 6/10 midfield outlet and overall has positive impact on the squad and the quality of our game. It's also a fact he was signed to be a difference maker for a high fee and that he is on extremely high wages.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
We're not going to get Bernardo Silva if he's sold.

Bookmark this now. Man City won't sell him for less than 100m and it would be more than we could stomach so we'll end up signing a low cost option instead.

serghei

This narrative that he hasn't succeeded because of wrong roles is misleading. While it is true Barca hasn't employed the system that suited him the most (whatever that is), his main problem here has been consistency. In a sense that he can't keep high level for long enough. He had great months and average ones playing out of his preferred positions.

It won't be easy to replace him as he is a reliably solid 6/10 midfield outlet and overall has positive impact on the squad and the quality of our game. It's also a fact he was signed to be a difference maker for a high fee and that he is on extremely high wages.

It's because he had some good brief periods in an attacking role, but ultimately he's just not top class going forward. He likes to go up with the ball, but he doesn't know what to do with it, and in a possession-based system, such ball carries aren't very common.

Home of Barca Fans