21 - Frenkie de Jong

JamDav1982

Always said it... FDJ to be at his best needs freedom to get up and down pitch and pace/movement/workrate/options in final third.

Barca have never had that until this January transfer window in his time here.

Was world class yesterday and up there as best in world when putting performances like that together against better sides.

serghei

Maybe he didn't have the best midfielder of all time being his mentor and teaching him where to improve. As usual, it's a mix of things.

JamDav1982

Maybe he didn't have the best midfielder of all time being his mentor and teaching him where to improve. As usual, it's a mix of things.

More about tactics but that is on Xavi anyway.

FDJ showed this level before Barca when best mid in europe. Xavi helping him tactically not teaching him how to play midfield.

This is first time any coach has had the pace/workrate and freedom to play this way but it is on Xavi making it work so far.

serghei

More about tactics but that is on Xavi anyway.

FDJ showed this level before Barca when best mid in europe. Xavi helping him tactically not teaching him how to play midfield.

Yea, but he wasn't exactly a scoring midfielder at Ajax. This is a new FDJ in terms of position on the field. If Xavi can make him a world-class interior then his merits have to b acknowledged.

Koeman tried something similar, but De Jong now is involved all over the field. He doesn't just make runs forward in the box, but also supports Busquets all the time. His position is getting fine-tuned nicely as a complete CM with a Nedved-like engine.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Yea, but he wasn't exactly a scoring midfielder at Ajax. This is a new FDJ in terms of position on the field. If Xavi can make him a world-class interior then his merits have to b aknowledged.

Just praised Xavi in last two posts but dont agree it is about Xavi teaching him how to play it is Xavi realising what he is good at and needs to excel.

Coaches dont improve individuals as much as is made out at times. Not at level FDJ is at. What he can do is give him best chance to go and play in way can impact game.

FDJ was third on goals/assists last season for Barca when playing defence in parts of last season. He has that already.

serghei

I think his movement now is smarter and more effective. Xavi was probably the player with the smartest movement in world football that I've seen. You simply could not lock him down because he'd always know when and where to show up and get in possession. I don't think it's a coincidence that De Jong is improving in this area so much lately.

JamDav1982

I think his movement now is smarter and more effective. Xavi was probably the player with the smartest movement in world football that I've seen. You simply could not lock him down because he'd always know when and where to show up and get in possession. I don't think it's a coincidence that De Jong is improving in this area so much lately.

His movement is due to new tactical set up more than anything which Xavi is creator of.

FDJ knew how to move at Ajax. Xavi is trying to unlock that and would never be able to teach him how to play in way he did as doesnt work like that. Coaches done teach players new tricks to anywhere near that extent.

At opposite end of scale look at my man Puig... despite folk thinking he is born La Masia and Barca DNA... looks exactly same under Xavi and learned nothing.

Xavi is almost putting him in position that gets best out of what he did at Ajax married with the chance for goals/assists as he was starting to get last season.

mc_lovin

Having three runners upfront opposed to just Frenkie certainly helps as well. He was overburdened under Koeman/the previous squad.

Dammie10

His movement is due to new tactical set up more than anything which Xavi is creator of.

FDJ knew how to move at Ajax. Xavi is trying to unlock that and would never be able to teach him how to play in way he did as doesnt work like that. Coaches done teach players new tricks to anywhere near that extent.

At opposite end of scale look at my man Puig... despite folk thinking he is born La Masia and Barca DNA... looks exactly same under Xavi and learned nothing.

Xavi is almost putting him in position that gets best out of what he did at Ajax married with the chance for goals/assists as he was starting to get last season.

Serghei is 100% right about his movement being better now under Xavi. I?ve seen literally every match from him at Ajax and many at the U21 also. There he usually just run to the ball but was 3 class above everyone so it got camouflaged. Even at Barca he did that. Not making smart moves to get the ball in between the lines. Just straight to it and we will see from there. He developed it recently. Now you see him anticipating on his teammates movements and understand what the next step will be in order to receive the ball. Study it and you will see the difference

serghei

Serghei is 100% right about his movement being better now under Xavi. I?ve seen literally every match from him at Ajax and many at the U21 also. There he usually just run to the ball but was 3 class above everyone so it got camouflaged. Even at Barca he did that. Not making smart moves to get the ball in between the lines. Just straight to it and we will see from there. He developed it recently. Now you see him anticipating on his teammates movements and understand what the next step will be in order to receive the ball. Study it and you will see the difference

Well said.

The number of triangles and the angle of passing between players is going up both in terms of cadence and in terms of movement variation under Xavi. Now players position at an angle compared to their markers, as opposed to waiting behind them in their cover shadow in a static way. It's a big difference and it's the main reason why we create more chances lately. Players hide less, wait for the ball less, and are more active and energetic in providing varied passing options for their teammates.

It's the juego de posicion of Cruyff at work. In early state, and not as drastic as under Pep, but its components are starting to get clearer.

Last edited:

Porque

Let's see how the midfield displays versus Bilbao. They will defend and close down space as a block compared to Valencia and Napoli. And also will know how to hurt us. Exciting game, and test.

Home of Barca Fans