21 - Frenkie de Jong

Joan

Modric's performances in Russia are overrated because of that BdO. If it was performance based, he'd never win it. It was a combination of a surprising result, being the front man, legacy with Real, and Ronaldo and Messi having a quite season for their standards.

Modric is an all time great midfielder in my book (over Xavi too, yes), but no WC match would enter his top 20 list. Possibly more, but I'm lazy to think about it now.

Joan

Rakitic is far bellow him, but his WC is comparable. Very mature tournament.

Three in a row. Yeah, I'm done for now.

KingLeo10

Modric's performances in Russia are overrated because of that BdO. If it was performance based, he'd never win it. It was a combination of a surprising result, being the front man, legacy with Real, and Ronaldo and Messi having a quite season for their standards.

Modric is an all time great midfielder in my book (over Xavi too, yes), but no WC match would enter his top 20 list. Possibly more, but I'm lazy to think about it now.

You're allowed to continue posting on this forum after that blasphemy, but only because you're Croatian :mou:

BBZ8800

He was like the 8th most important player in our treble winning squad (after MSN, Iniesta, Busquets, Alves, Pique) and second to Modric at Croatia.

Modric is a brain of Croatia, without him a team won't play well in attack.
Rakitic is a soul/balance of Croatia.
Without him, a team is losing some degree in attack and a lot of defending/balance/logic in defense.

You know that feeling when we used to play with Iniesta-Rafinha CM duo and the balance just felt odd and is we are all over the pitch and as if something is weird positionaly and as if we are leaving giant holes behind Rafinha's/Iniesta's back.
Rakitic is the opposite of that.
His first touch is not silky, but defending and positional wise, when he is on a field, the opponents won't run through you like through butter.

And I'll never forget this, we know from Barca team how hard is to score pens in key moments:

It has nothing to do with it really. I don't like Modric and our NT even less.

There's that :lol:

Interesting.
I was always always slaughtered among local fans for not liking Modric prior to 2018.

I always used to say that he disappeared on Euros and WCs when we needed him and played hide and seek, especially in 2014 and 2016.
I was not happy with him as a captain and a leader.
On the other hand, I was never disappointed by Rakitic, though.
Until 2018, they were like Messi and Cr7 for me.
Modric was way more talented, but often plays hide/seek when you need him and doesn't deliver as much as he can.
Rakitic was like Cr7, way less talented, but often played at 120% of his abilities due to running, covering, playing both in attack and defense, never getting injured.

Modric started to step only only in 2018 and later for an NT team.

vegitot

Modric is a brain of Croatia, without him a team won't play well in attack.
Rakitic is a soul/balance of Croatia.
Without him, a team is losing some degree in attack and a lot of defending/balance/logic in defense.

You know that feeling when we used to play with Iniesta-Rafinha CM duo and the balance just felt odd and is we are all over the pitch and as if something is weird positionaly and as if we are leaving giant holes behind Rafinha's/Iniesta's back.
Rakitic is the opposite of that.
His first touch is not silky, but defending and positional wise, when he is on a field, the opponents won't run through you like through butter.

And I'll never forget this, we know from Barca team how hard is to score pens in key moments:

Interesting.
I was always always slaughtered among local fans for not liking Modric prior to 2018.

I always used to say that he disappeared on Euros and WCs when we needed him and played hide and seek, especially in 2014 and 2016.
I was not happy with him as a captain and a leader.
On the other hand, I was never disappointed by Rakitic, though.
Until 2018, they were like Messi and Cr7 for me.
Modric was way more talented, but often plays hide/seek when you need him and doesn't deliver as much as he can.
Rakitic was like Cr7, way less talented, but often played at 120% of his abilities due to running, covering, playing both in attack and defense, never getting injured.

Modric started to step only only in 2018 and later for an NT team.

Raki is an essential player. That's probably the way i describe him. He doesn't have fancy dribbling skills or flairs to look good on youtube but his quality is easity to recognize.

reDIOS10

Only Barcelona fans would consider Rakitic anywhere near top 10 midfielders of the last decade. Guy had one very world class season in that treble year and if we replaced him with another workhorse, I bet we would have still won a treble. Never seen a player so overrated before

vegitot

Only Barcelona fans would consider Rakitic anywhere near top 10 midfielders of the last decade. Guy had one very world class season in that treble year and if we replaced him with another workhorse, I bet we would have still won a treble. Never seen a player so overrated before

Same story about how Barca would dominate the world when there is no longer Suarez, Rakitic, Vidal.... Of course the team would play with incredible intensity without Messi :koeman:

Messigician

?For me, Rakitić is one of the most underrated players in the world,? Mourinho said speaking as a pundit for BeIN SPORTS. ?He is a fantastic player at every level. He does defensive work on the right side to compensate for Messi. He runs miles. In ball possession he is fantastic. He is simple, he is effective. He is one of the most underrated players.

?Normally we speak about the big names, but Rakitić, for me he needs to improve his Instagram and his social media, because in this moment this is very important, and he?s not very good on that, but he?s very good on the pitch.?

Kul_z

Tell me 10 better/ more consistent mfs of last decade:

Captain of sevilla side that won europa league in 2014, was a crucial player for them

2014/15 benched xavi, runned his lungs out for messi, scored in cl final.

Pretty frequently scored in el classico games, and always showed up.

His world cup 2018 was his peak, he sold his soul for that tournament. Modric was great but it was rakitic who pulled the strings, and those penaltys he took when he was cold as ice lifted the team spirit and you could already know that croatia would advance unlike modric choking.
I still cant believe that he isn't in barca legends section, because he is that. He was shit after wc 2018 but that doesnt change the fact that he played a crucial part in our side for years, and pretty well too.

BBZ8800

What I dislike in a new generation of our midfielders who were raised ONLY to move the ball and pass, can you imagine Pedr/Frenkie ever taking a shot out of nowhere from this possession?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NofeAXFftLA

Or:

Or:

I just can't understand these new midfielders who can't shoot and don't have any attacking/killer instincts even if their life depended on it.
They won't shoot even from perfect positions, not to mention shooting from risky positions or pulling some shot/attacking move out of nowhere.

CatalinR10

Ah yes good old Ivan ,, Lampard " Rakitic who was an elite medium-long distance shooter that managed to score an unheard 10 goals in around 150 games in his last 3 Barca seasons here.

Goalkeepers would often give up before seeing him shoot from 35 meters away because they knew they didn't have a chance in the first place.

Kul_z

What I dislike in a new generation of our midfielders who were raised ONLY to move the ball and pass, can you imagine Pedr/Frenkie ever taking a shot out of nowhere from this possession?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NofeAXFftLA

Or:

Or:

I just can't understand these new midfielders who can't shoot and don't have any attacking/killer instincts even if their life depended on it.
They won't shoot even from perfect positions, not to mention shooting from risky positions or pulling some shot/attacking move out of nowhere.

First two goals with weaker foot. And best thing is when you watch his highlights they all almost came against top opposition in the time when it matters most.

Rakitic was world class middlefielder

Home of Barca Fans