21 - Frenkie de Jong

ebc_99

Why do people shit on our players on here for no good reason?

De Jong is not responsible for The Netherlands going out, his shitty coach is and we also have a shitty coach at Barca too. De Jong has been fantastic for this club, but posters on here taking every chance they get, Messi should leave, Pedri is overrated, Ter Stegen is shit, Alba is finished, and now it is De Jongs turn, you guys are fucking clueless, half the posters on here hate the club and the players:lol:

Devils

I'm in total agreement with Joan and BBZ on this topic.

The people on here raving how he is the best in the world and would walk into any team reminds me too much of the same narrative that was said about Ter-Stegen 2-3 years ago. Which I also thought was crazy talk at the time.

FinBarcelonafan

If an EPL team would offer 70m for him, I would take the money and run, invest in Haaland and play random La Masia guys who are more creative and cost 5m.

With him, we will always be unbalanced in midfield compared to Barcas from 10-15 years ago.

And it is not as if he is bringing any advantage or trophies.

Big games wise, has he played well in any KO match in the last two seasons?

What exactly are we getting from him except stamina in midfield?

It's tough to blame only Frenkie for the big games but yes, hes been horrible in them.

He is the only midfielder who is good enough physically to play vs top competition in our team.

Busi too old/slow. Pedri way too young and weak/slow. Pedri will improve though.

FinBarcelonafan

I'm in total agreement with Joan and BBZ on this topic.

The people on here raving how he is the best in the world and would walk into any team reminds me too much of the same narrative that was said about Ter-Stegen 2-3 years ago. Which I also thought was crazy talk at the time.

He is starting to make me unsure after another bad performance in big game. It started the same way with Steigen and now I don't have any trust for him.

Expectations= disappoinment guaranteed

He hasn't found new level with Barca. He doesn't seem to improve.

Horatio

You're welcome
Why is every game he loses dubbed a 'big game' all of a sudden? If Netherlands had won this and lost against Germany then that would be dubbed the 'big game' and Czech Republic game would have been reduced to an easy game against a country that is ranked 40th.

Is it really about the opponent's strength though? Or we can't simply expect him to carry the team if almost everybody plays horrible.

I thought he was ok today, what I missed were forward passes though. You want to talk about bad then look at Wijnaldum. Was non-existent.

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

Why is every game he loses dubbed a 'big game' all of a sudden? If Netherlands had won this and lost against Germany then that would be dubbed the 'big game' and Czech Republic game would have been reduced to an easy game against a country that is ranked 40th.

Is it really about the opponent's strength though? Or we can't simply expect him to carry the team if almost everybody plays horrible.

I thought he was ok today, what I missed were forward passes though. You want to talk about bad then look at Wijnaldum. Was non-existent.

If you are the best in the world or near that, sometimes you should be able to carry your team.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If you're not World Class or close to World Class because you fail to carry your team then you could argue Kevin De Bruyne is not World Class either because he failed to make an impact in the CL final before he went off injured and we all know how Belgium failed in both 2016 and 2018 with a stacked team.

I do agree he has to do more creativity and attacking-wise when it starts getting tougher, but kinda hard to do so when Gini makes 10 successful passes in 95 minutes and De Roon is average technically and better on the defensive side.

ItachiXXX

He is like Griezmann of midfielders, but a less bad fit.
But people will not accept it for some time because of a huge hype and since other players of ours are even worse.
So, if Frenkie is a miss, there is no hope for us and people don't want to hear that.

In short:
1. not good defender to be a CB
2. not good defending wise to be a CDM
3. not good enough in passing/creativity to be a world class CM or CAM

He can play in all of these positions, but he isn't an 80m player on any of those positions.

I have no idea with whom we should pair him in order for our midfield to work.
1. if you pair him with another defensive guy, then we will have 2 guys without creativity in midfield
2. if you pair him with 2 creative guys, we will again have one guy (him) who is not creative and yet defensive wise, we will be horrible if our midfield defense will rely on him.

As time goes by, more and more he looks like a system player, like guys from Atletico or Liverpool, who play good only when the whole team clicks perfectly.
Yet, when you take him out of that system, he looks as 50% of a player from Atletico/Liverpool, like Arda at Barca.
The only team for him seems to be that Ajax team.

For now, Frenkie looks like attacking wise clueless guy who only has world class machine (who is running and covering like crazy).

Stamina merchant - midfield headless chicken.

I am dead serious now, guys who adore Frenkie: try to name a midfield trio at Barca with Frenkie in it, in which that midfield trio would make sense attacking, passing and defensive wise.

If we'll stick with him for 10 years, imo it will be like trying to fit Griezmann/Fabregas into our formation for 10 years.

He will be the next Roberto, i guess

iniestaGOAT

Why do people shit on our players on here for no good reason?

De Jong is not responsible for The Netherlands going out, his shitty coach is and we also have a shitty coach at Barca too. De Jong has been fantastic for this club, but posters on here taking every chance they get, Messi should leave, Pedri is overrated, Ter Stegen is shit, Alba is finished, and now it is De Jongs turn, you guys are fucking clueless, half the posters on here hate the club and the players:lol:

I dont know about clueless, they got 2/4 right. Ter stegen is shit and alba is pretty much finished.

JohnN

FDJ is a good midfielder. If we compare him with the goat team we had, he will always look weak. He is one of the better players in our current squad though and that is something. If this was 2009, Frankie would try to sniff some minutes in Copa del ray, but it isn't.
Let's stick to 2021 and judge him based on our current team.

Messi983

Who cares how he's doing for NT, he's been by far our best midfielder since he has arrived. He's not a liability, Busi is. Replace him with a better player and both FDJ and Pedri will also start to play on an even higher level.

malvolio

FDJ is a good midfielder. If we compare him with the goat team we had, he will always look weak. He is one of the better players in our current squad though and that is something. If this was 2009, Frankie would try to sniff some minutes in Copa del ray, but it isn't.
Let's stick to 2021 and judge him based on our current team.

Same as with Griezmann I guess, the money payed just isn't covered by his performances. Also, kind of hard for the average Bar?a fan to downgrade from passing machines like Busquets/Xavi/Iniesta to De Jong. Rakitic was a fucking steal for the money payed

Bobo32

I have said he can become an excellent or even game changing CB for Barcelona.

But looking at BBZs post I can say that he could also be tried as a #10 / false 9 in this Barcelona. Sort of like Bakero in the Cruyff diamond, I could see it work...
He is a very talented player, and it's up to the coach to make him work, he can play a lot of roles, evidently, and is one of few players worth the money Barcelona spent the last 5-6 years.

Nazario1985

He better focus on defensive skills, I don't see him a forward thinker.

Forcing him to play out of his comfort zone can indeed reveal a nice surprise but it can also ruin his career ala roberto.

Home of Barca Fans