21 - Frenkie de Jong

Sorin

Best player on the pitch imo. Didn't put a foot wrong until a wayward pass towards the end of the match. Bossed it.

Bobo32

This was a bit of a special game scenario.
But this was what I envisioned when I said he should play CB. I think he gets involved very naturally in the buildup and can bring a lot from there. With the right companions, he can even be a scoring threat even from that position.
Some nice defensive central defender actions as well today

serghei

Yea, honestly, he was rock solid. I think he is more valuable in deeper areas than near the box of the opponent. I'd try to use him here more (DM), and look to upgrade the offense with better scorers.

Maybe groom Moriba into the box to box role.

frostdude1

Unbelievable IQ. For me, he?s the natural successor to Busquets next year hopefully.
............Pedri .......... Puig .............
.................... Frenkie ................

BBZ8800

When he plays as a CB, we have 12 players since he plays both as a CB and a false pivot then.

Idea worth exploring in the future.
(3 men defense with Frenkie).

JohnN

When he plays as a CB, we have 12 players since he plays both as a CB and a false pivot then.

Idea worth exploring in the future.
(3 men defense with Frenkie).

I like the idea too. He is a great sweeper / midfielder kind of a player. At least for tough matches. But if we pair him with Lenglet it's a lost cause anyway.

Andresito

Staff member
He was good but honestly think he'd be exposed as a CB in a game like the one at home.

He'd be targeted as the weak point if he plays CB regularly. On the ball he's probably the best in the world, but I don't think it'd be worth it his defensive liabilities.

olivis

Frenkenbauer

If Frenkie works on his defensive skills, physique and leadership he could truly become a player like Beckenbauer. Probably not as good, but the same type of player orchestrating it all from the back. He is a joy to watch even as CB.

And the move might not even be that farfetched at all. I was bored the other day and looked though team of the seasons of the past and saw Beckenbauer feature as a midfielder in the Team of the Season when he was 20. Only moved to CB later.

BerkeleyBernie

Honestly CB is his best position, IMO. He really doesn't have much vision as a midfielder and often dribbles just to beat his marker for its own sake. He's better when always looking forward.

Home of Barca Fans