21 - Frenkie de Jong

When playing with the Dutch team he is always the best player on the field, driving the whole team forward and bossing the midfield.
I wonder if playing with semi-retired player Busquets has something to do with his performances in Barca...hmm
Of course he is still our best midfielder by miles.

AjaxAmsterdam

Pains me to watch Frenkie in this Barcelona since Im a massive fan but even I have no excuse for him , he has been average while he was suppose to be good. If he continues this this year he needs to be sold for the good of Barca aswell as his.

Thing that annoys me the most is he has taken all the risk out of his game here , which is the thing that made him special. He would take on people which forced a defender to move to him creating space for the attack. He still does that in the Dutch team
but even there its less frequent and in Barca he never does.

malvolio

They believe in miracle talisman players that turn shit into gold.

when you come with that transfer fee, salary and reputation, it's normal for fans to expect something really good. up until now, frenkie hasn't delivered.

you could make a case about the environment, the difference between clubs, current state of squad, manager etc. maybe he would have looked the part with xavi and iniesta as midfield partners.

the same happened to coutinho, griezmann and dembele. huge fees, salaries and expectations -> they hardly made an impact.

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

when you come with that transfer fee, salary and reputation, it's normal for fans to expect something really good. up until now, frenkie hasn't delivered.

you could make a case about the environment, the difference between clubs, current state of squad, manager etc. maybe he would have looked the part with xavi and iniesta as midfield partners.

the same happened to coutinho, griezmann and dembele. huge fees, salaries and expectations -> they hardly made an impact.

Which midfielder in the world would carry corpses of Busi/Raki and Vidal vs top teams? Zero. Exactly.

I have no doubt he would play better if our team played with any sort of intensity and speed like Ajax played. He wants to move the ball fast forward, our oldies just want to pass it back.

malvolio

Which midfielder in the world would carry corpses of Busi/Raki and Vidal vs top teams? Zero. Exactly.

I have no doubt he would play better if our team played with any sort of intensity and speed like Ajax played. He wants to move the ball fast forward, our oldies just want to pass it back.

i get the teammates excuse in big games. what i don't get is him not looking the part, on a regular basis, vs low/medium level opposition.

it has been like this with him all year. gets it right/looks very good one game, follows up with 2-3 games looking average or making mistakes.

FinBarcelonafan

i get the teammates excuse in big games. what i don't get is him not looking the part, on a regular basis, vs low/medium level opposition.

it has been like this with him all year. gets it right/looks very good one game, follows up with 2-3 games looking average or making mistakes.

The whole system is too slow for him. He thrives on fast transitions and good movement (like himself). He is not made for current Barca ball. No movement, slow build up.. Goes vs everything he believes. You can see he is frustrated sometimes with teammates because they slow down the game too much.

Getting rid of Raki/Vidal and Suarez is a good starting point for this.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
The whole system is too slow for him. He thrives on fast transitions and good movement (like himself). He is not made for current Barca ball. No movement, slow build up.. Goes vs everything he believes. You can see he is frustrated sometimes with teammates because they slow down the game too much.

we still have Busquets and brought in pjanic... so dont think much will change in the midfield department. After seeing coutinho last game i also wouldnt mind going back to a 433 with messi as the 9.

khaled_a_d

Sooner or later teams will force you to slow down at times, and every midfielder need to be able to play in slower pace at times. Especially for a team like us that faces many parking the bus teams.
He will have the chance this year, he will have the keys for our midfield this year and will play in 4231 he is used to under his former NT coach with his former assistant coach being here too. He has no excuse to underperform this year.
We don't need him to be savior as Serghei claiming, but to show his world class talent will be good start.

Home of Barca Fans