2021 Ballon d'Or

Birdy

The award is usually based on a mix of performances AND trophies. I would say Messi, Lewandowski, and Benzema are around a similar level individually but Messi winning Copa America gives him the edge for this year. I'm not sure why you bring 2020 into it or the fact that 2021 was not one of Messi's best years which is more a testament to how good his past years were.

You know why: there is a gap in 2020, which makes Lewa's candidacy for 2021 even stronger

Plus, I don't think what you write about the award is accurate at all.
That's how many people trying to justify their decisions, especially voters, by saying that it is a mix of performances and trophies.
So that they can use one as an excuse-justification when the other pales in comparison to other candidates, when in reality it's their emotion that guides them in voting.

Plus, even if it was accurate, you cannot prove that Messi 'has the edge' by any consistent argument.
I already showed you why in the previous post

Last edited:

Rassvet

Jorginho wins the trophy argument but so did Alisson in 2019, Varane in 2018, Khedira in 2014, Mata in 2012, and plenty of others who didn't perform well enough to win it despite their collective honors.

Hardy

You know why: there is a gap in 2020, which makes Lewa's candidacy for 2021 even stronger

Lewa is the only Bayern player who got the nomination for ballon d'or which means that they didn't give a damn about the treble last year.

Birdy

Jorginho wins the trophy argument but so did Alisson in 2019, Varane in 2018, Khedira in 2014, Mata in 2012, and plenty of others who didn't perform well enough to win it despite their collective honors.

If a team is successful many players feature for the 'trophy argument'.
But, when one is central to the team, like Jorginho or Kante for Chelsea, they weight much more than Khedira or Mata.
You know that.

The thing with Jorginho is that he won the most important trophy both for club and country. That should give him more points in the 'trophy argument' than anyone else winning any trophy in 2021 whatsoever i.
Smuggling in performance just to arbitrarily say that 'Messi has the edge' (what edge? how?)
and his goals and assists are somehow magically added on his Copa America to surpass Jorginho's numbers added on CL and Euro ....
does not make any fuckin sense WHATSOEVER

That's *IF* the trophy argument has any ground

Last edited:

Birdy

Lewa is the only Bayern player who got the nomination for ballon d'or which means that they didn't give a damn about the treble last year.

Does it mean that?
Or does it mean that Lewa was the only Bayern player who reproduced the exact same form in 2021, despite Bayern winning only their league?

malvolio

Jorginho :lol:

I'm amazed that people even mention this bum in the Balon D'or conversation.

10 years from now hardly anyone will remember that Jorginho even existed.

fergus90

Does it mean that?
Or does it mean that Lewa was the only Bayern player who reproduced the exact same form in 2021, despite Bayern winning only their league?

Kimmich stats are better than half the people on the list too.

Mateka

Jorginho :lol:

I'm amazed that people even mention this bum in the Balon D'or conversation.

10 years from now hardly anyone will remember that Jorginho even existed.

I do not think Jorginho should be called a bum. He is a great player.

KingLeo10

I do not think Jorginho should be called a bum. He is a great player.

He is an above average player. Maybe good at best.

We need to stop handing out "great" that easily.

Great in today's era of midfielders is Verratti and healthy KDB. That's basically it.

fergus90

Great in today's era of midfielders is Verratti and healthy KDB. That's basically it.

I absolutely love Verratti but he's unavailable that much that I don't even think he can be considered great. Plays like once a month, drops a masterclass then gets injured again :lol:

Zidane82

Messi fanboys here haven't come up yet with a consistent argument about why Messi should win it.

Most of the time it's about 'He is the best player of all time' BS
His 2020 was atrocious, and his 2021 was decent but far cry from all his previous seasons

If the argument that is about trophies, and supposedly Copa America has any weight here (which it hasn't, and it shouldn't have)
then Jorginho easily wins: both CL and Euro, when each one individually is >>> than Copa America

If the argument is about performance, Lewa should win it hands down.
Fantastic 2020 with treble being the best player of the best team, and broke Miller's record in 2021 and won the golden boot in Europe.
Better than Messi in both 2020, and the half of 2021 until now.

PS:
But that's the problem with 'awards' like these, not based on any objective metric, but rather on voting,
where you have fanboy-journalists deciding on it

Guess you have not watched him play over the last 12 months ..

Mateka

I do not think Jorginho should be called a bum.

Home of Barca Fans