2015 Copa América

Who will win Copa America?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zanela

Garay is poor anyway, cant believe there are teams linked to paying big money for him.

He is slow and can barely pass a ball at time....but to be fair he takes some of the best penalties going!

He may be slow, but to claim he can barely pass a ball is ludicrous. Last season he had a pass accuracy of 87% while making 53 passes/game. Piqué, amongst the best ball-playing CB in the biz, has a PA of 89% @ 64 passes/game. Forward passes 40 to 49.
In the the CA, of the ARG players who've started every game thus far, he has clocked PA of 89% only second to Masch @ 92.5%. He makes ~6 long balls/game to Masch's 10.
Those stats are not suggestive of a player who can barely pass. He may have other weaknesses, but passing a ball is not one.
When he doesn't play, his commanding presence and calmness is grossly missed.

I dread everytime Demi has to start a must-win fixture.

JamDav1982

He may be slow, but to claim he can barely pass a ball is ludicrous. Last season he had a pass accuracy of 87% while making 53 passes/game. Piqué, amongst the best ball-playing CB in the biz, has a PA of 89% @ 64 passes/game. Forward passes 40 to 49.
In the the CA, of the ARG players who've started every game thus far, he has clocked PA of 89% only second to Masch @ 92.5%. He makes ~6 long balls/game to Masch's 10.
Those stats are not suggestive of a player who can barely pass. He may have other weaknesses, but passing a ball is not one.
When he doesn't play, his commanding presence and calmness is grossly missed.

I dread everytime Demi has to start a must-win fixture.

I dont doubt he has a decent pass percentage. In the last game he either seemed to play the ball ultra safe or hoof it up the park under the slightest of pressure. Which is then counted as a clearance.

Can remember many limited players having great passing stats etc often as they are so limited they try nothing difficult.

He doesnt take the ball in the situations Pique/Masch do or make the more difficult passes they do.

Maybe I have just caught his bad games or am over thinking it but he never seems comfortable on ball to me. I would put Demichelis as much better on the ball but more probe to a lapse or error.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Yes but zanela we all saw his passes in the game against Colombia, all of them were back passes, all of them! He should have 100% pass accuracy :lol:

Stats don't say much in this case.

zanela

Yes but zanela we all saw his passes in the game against Colombia, all of them were back passes, all of them! He should have 100% pass accuracy :lol:

Stats don't say much in this case.

The stats I posted were over all the CA games he's played, not based on one match. Why does anyone bother to comment on a player they don't watch regularly or atleast have a reasonable sample they can rely on?
I love how each summer, every fanboi becomes an expert on ARG and its players. Not directing @ you JamDav. I know you atleast catch the SA action at times.

JamDav1982

The stats I posted were over all the CA games he's played, not based on one match. Why does anyone bother to comment on a player they don't watch regularly or atleast have a reasonable sample they can rely on?
I love how each summer, every fanboi becomes an expert on ARG and its players. Not directing @ you JamDav. I know you atleast catch the SA action at times.

Zanela I have pretty much stayed up to watch every Argentina game for last 4/5 years. So not basing anything on summer games.

I would guess Garay has forward passes from the simple passes he gives to Masch on front of him so often.

Almost certain I can remember Messi going crazy at Garay in one of the earlier games this Copa as he was never playing the ball early too him and slowing it down and keeping it simple too much.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Garay is not a good passer. Especially under pressure. Saw enough games of him with Benfica and Argentina to come to that conclusion.

BarcaGirl

Looking at how corrupt this copa has been so far, I wouldn't be surprised if Masche/Messi both get yellows tonight and miss the final.

zanela

Zanela I have pretty much stayed up to watch every Argentina game for last 4/5 years. So not basing anything on summer games.

I would guess Garay has forward passes from the simple passes he gives to Masch on front of him so often.

Almost certain I can remember Messi going crazy at Garay in one of the earlier games this Copa as he was never playing the ball early too him and slowing it down and keeping it simple too much.

He has fair no. of forward passes @ club level as well. As for the NT, when he has a better distributor in Masch in front him, I don't see why he should opt for a risky long pass. Still, he makes 6 LB/per game. Given ARG's turnovers, sometimes it's best to make a simple pass to keep the ball in circulation. Now I don't say he's amongst the best-ball playing CBs or anything, but I do 've reservations over your initial claim. I would not consider his passing as a weakness, If you think it is, then you're judging him harshly. If it really was bad, I would 've criticized him myself, and certainly would be a talking point in the Albiceleste circles by now.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Credit to Ramon Diaz and Paraguay for playing fair and square despite the heavy loss. Great second half and overall a dominant performance by Argentina. Let's finish the job boys. Vamos Argentina Carajo!

Home of Barca Fans