10 - Lionel Messi - V6

FCB1987

Banned
Lol the teenage Messi fanboy conspiracists are so tiring on here sometimes.

1. Suggesting Bale or Isco to win Ballon d'Or is beyond ridiculous. Marcelo and Ramos slightly less so but still absurd

2. Ronaldo's shit run in la liga happened in 2017 so doesn't count for this year's award. I agree Messi had a much better 17/18 but that's not what the award is for

3. In 2018, Ronaldo is averaging well over a goal per game so to say he only turned up in a few matches is quite an overstatement.

4. Messi is the better player and had a better season but Ronaldo beats him in stats, trophies, performance in CL, and performance in World Cup for 2018.

5. The reason the WC didn't hurt him is that Salah and Messi were his competition and did even worse.

Last edited:

Stoichkov1

Lol the teenage Messi fanboy conspiracists are so tiring on here sometimes.

1. Suggesting Bale or Isco to win Ballon d'Or is beyond ridiculous. Marcelo and Ramos slightly less so but still absurd

2. Ronaldo's shit run in la liga happened in 2017 so doesn't count for this year's award. I agree Messi had a much better 17/18 but that's not what the award is for

3. In 2018, Ronaldo is averaging well over a goal per game so to say he only turned up in a few matches is quite an overstatement.

4. Messi is the better player and had a better season but Ronaldo beats him in stats, trophies, performance in CL, and performance in World Cup for 2018.

5. The reason the WC didn't hurt him is that Salah and Messi were his competition and did even worse.

Then how do you explain that Ronaldo is probably going to win the best fifa award which takes into consideration the performances from July 2017 to July 2018? Basically if Ronaldo wins they will completely ignore the fact that he has disappeared for 4 months.

FCB1987

Banned
Then how do you explain that Ronaldo is probably going to win the best fifa award which takes into consideration the performances from July 2017 to July 2018? Basically if Ronaldo wins they will completely ignore the fact that he has disappeared for 4 months.

I don't think he should win that award. where did you hear that he was favorite for it? I haven't seen any betting odds or much discussion about it

I forget where I saw the comment but I remember reading something interesting about how Messi's game is becoming more suited for beating the lesser teams than dominating big matches. In the big matches, it's impossible for a team (other than Pep's barca) to completely dominate the midfield enough to supply the forwards with constant perfect service into feet with space. As a result, pace and off the ball movement (two things Messi is starting to lose) become a lot more important.

Against 80% of teams in La Liga, this doesn't really matter though because our midfield is dominant and we have so much possession around the box that Messi will still get enough space and enough of the ball to do his stuff. But in the big matches, I don't think Messi playing this static #10 type role in a 442 works very well. We should either play 433 with him upfront through the middle or as that right inside forward type player where he did so well in 2015.

I mean last season I'd say he did dominate the games against bigger teams, the only important match we lost was against Roma and they are one of the 'lesser' teams imo.

yup. bale scored an equally impressive overhead kick in the CL final and added another long range goal in the same game. but not a single word about that. His 16/17 ballon d'or was more than deserved but the other one for 15/16 was also farcical. dude didn't even score in the CL final v atletico or play in the euro final.

They really should look beyond messi and CR7 for these awards now and base it on season performances. Messi is clearly below his peak level since 14/15 and CR7 only shows for a handful of games each year. :lol:

He was impressive in La Liga since 2018, scored more goals than games played. Scored against Atletico Madrid, Fc Barcelona etc.. In Cl destroyed PSG, Juve and done massive defence work against Bayern. He wasnt good against Liverpool though. In WC he rescued Portugal with a HATTRICK against Spain! Against Marcocco he scored the only goal to win the match on his own. It wasnt his fault that Portugal didnt win against Uruguay, you cant expect always from one player to win a match on himself.
All in all he has been fantastic in 2018.

Kul_z

I mean last season I'd say he did dominate the games against bigger teams, the only important match we lost was against Roma and they are one of the 'lesser' teams imo.

Stupid people with stupid opinions. Like the moron above with that stupid opinion and false statements about penaldo's season. You know that world is insane when someone who dives like a dolphin, screams like a bitch, shoots from all over the field, and ego like mt everest gets ballon d'or for mostly tap-ins and penalties, like it deserved. He's pr works like with plan b c d, and this couple of months we could see that. Cl final, does absolutely nothing, Bale did superb job with stunning goals and right then he decides about leaving rm, on the efin pitch, when your team is celebrating, but he needed to stole the show from bale. World Cup, they we're out, and in the last week of wc started to deploy rumours about juve. Its obvious how his entourage works. Messi should learn from them

He was impressive in La Liga since 2018, scored more goals than games played. Scored against Atletico Madrid, Fc Barcelona etc.. In Cl destroyed PSG, Juve and done massive defence work against Bayern. He wasnt good against Liverpool though. In WC he rescued Portugal with a HATTRICK against Spain! Against Marcocco he scored the only goal to win the match on his own. It wasnt his fault that Portugal didnt win against Uruguay, you cant expect always from one player to win a match on himself.

Impressive in la liga? Ronaldo la liga highlights from full season 17/18 are barely, if better then highlights from one la liga messi game.

Impressive in la liga? Ronaldo la liga highlights from full season 17/18 are barely, if better then highlights from one la liga messi game.

I NEVER said that Ronaldo has a better La Liga season than Messi. BUT in 2018 Messi wasnt on 2017 level during Ronaldo exploded in 2018 La Liga.:rockon:

ebc_99

Ronaldo doesn't deserve the award whichever way you look at it. He didn't destroy PSG, give me a break, was great against Juve I'll give you that but was poor in both semi's and the final.

His hatrick? A penalty he dived for, a poor shot DeGea threw in the net himself and a great freekick. He didn't win the match on his own against Morocco, he scored a header from a corner and had a good game after that but nothing special.

He scores goals, but that is not what the award is for, it's for the best player for the year and that hasn't been Ronaldo, not even close. The fact that Modric and Mbappe are there to is even more ridiculous, both were average this season.

Kul_z

I NEVER said that Ronaldo has a better La Liga season than Messi. BUT in 2018 Messi wasnt on 2017 level during Ronaldo exploded in 2018 La Liga.:rockon:

What in the world are you saying? Messi this year, week in - week out was absolutely superb, draging barca to almost unbeatable season, just so ev would drop him and lose a match. Ronaldo in 2018 began to play in march and finished in april. I dont rate goal/game ratio as some standout point, but as you are good with the stats, can you tell me how much shots in this la liga season had ronaldo? Only thing i recognize for ronaldo is his desire to win.

Pedro

La Masia
[tw]1022391670661373952[/tw]

Messi's new NEMEZIZ boots will be amazing for the new season

RMU ReBorn

I forget where I saw the comment but I remember reading something interesting about how Messi's game is becoming more suited for beating the lesser teams than dominating big matches. In the big matches, it's impossible for a team (other than Pep's barca) to completely dominate the midfield enough to supply the forwards with constant perfect service into feet with space. As a result, pace and off the ball movement (two things Messi is starting to lose) become a lot more important.

Against 80% of teams in La Liga, this doesn't really matter though because our midfield is dominant and we have so much possession around the box that Messi will still get enough space and enough of the ball to do his stuff. But in the big matches, I don't think Messi playing this static #10 type role in a 442 works very well. We should either play 433 with him upfront through the middle or as that right inside forward type player where he did so well in 2015.
Real Madrid Atletico Madrid , Chelsea , Juve aren't big teams apparently

If the Ballon d'or was given to the best player regardless of trophies, I would say

2007: Ronaldo
2008: Ronaldo
2009-2012: Messi
2013: Ronaldo
2014: Ronaldo
2015-2017: Messi
2018: Messi/Ronaldo/Salah depending on who starts best next season
2007- Kaka
2008- Ronaldo
2009- Messi
2010- Xavi
2011- Messi
2012- Messi
2013- Ribery
2014- Ronaldo
2015- Messi
2016- Suarez
2017- Ronaldo
2018- Messi /Modric

Life ain't fair. What else is new?

Should be at calm with oneself and just appreciate what you we are witnessing and stop obsessing with propaganda and ignorance that is largely fueled by semi-retaded people from States, Africa and Asia who don't know shit about football
How to become a expert in football ? . Be a Croatian or a European by birth ? .

Crashed out of the WC right after group stages vs. Uruguay. The point stands, though. Feel this might be his least deserved Ballon d'Or. Looking at odds... it's interesting the WC didn't influence his position at all.
He didn't deserved one bit in 2016 . Suarez and Messi were way better than him . scored Hat trick against Wolfsburg and then became a literal ghost against Man city and ATM in semi's and final . Didn't won the league And wasn't anywhere near the best in Euro's in which Pepe and Sanches out performed him

Ronaldo doesn't deserve the award whichever way you look at it. He didn't destroy PSG, give me a break, was great against Juve I'll give you that but was poor in both semi's and the final.

His hatrick? A penalty he dived for, a poor shot DeGea threw in the net himself and a great freekick. He didn't win the match on his own against Morocco, he scored a header from a corner and had a good game after that but nothing special.

He scores goals, but that is not what the award is for, it's for the best player for the year and that hasn't been Ronaldo, not even close. The fact that Modric and Mbappe are there to is even more ridiculous, both were average this season.

Modric was great, not his best performances but I can understand that. But you are right at Mbappe, his only worldclass match was against Argentinia.

He didn't deserved one bit in 2016 . Suarez and Messi were way better than him . scored Hat trick against Wolfsburg and then became a literal ghost against Man city and ATM in semi's and final . Didn't won the league And wasn't anywhere near the best in Euro's in which Pepe and Sanches out performed him

Ronaldo was world class in 2016, scored many many dreamgoals, also the winner against Fc Barcelona. In Cl he has a very big impact against Roma, Wolfsburg. In semi Final and Final he was injured so it wasnt his fault. In EURO 2016 he rescued Portugal against Hungary with 2 goals and one assist and won the match in Semi final against Wales. Final he was injured. He had the most scorerpoints in his team. Suarez and Messi were also superb but Ronaldo won also titeles so the Ballon Dor was deserved.

2007- Kaka
2008- Ronaldo
2009- Messi
2010- Xavi
2011- Messi
2012- Messi
2013- Ribery
2014- Ronaldo
2015- Messi
2016- Suarez
2017- Ronaldo
2018- Messi /Modric

Ronaldo was much better than Ribery in 2013. In 2015 Neymar.

Home of Barca Fans