10 - Lionel Messi - v5

MessiTHEgoat

I doubt EV has the intention of resting him. he literally said it.

if he's playing 33 years old iniesta every game. then how he's going to rest messi? beside, I know messi is capable of playing every game of the season easily. out of all players he runs the least, but he's freakishly effective :lol:

this is 2 years old but it shows all the players's distance covered against arsenal away.

Screen-Shot-2016-02-25-at-15.29.31.jpg

Ritchie

He's not going to play that Copa game, neither will any of the regular starters i expect.
We should consider resting for most of the Copa del Rey competition, focus should be on La Liga and the CL.

The whole team expends far too much energy on the Copa in Jan/Feb. Real have got knocked out early last two seasons and been fresher for the CL.

Truthist

I doubt EV has the intention of resting him. he literally said it.

if he's playing 33 years old iniesta every game. then how he's going to rest messi? beside, I know messi is capable of playing every game of the season easily. out of all players he runs the least, but he's freakishly effective :lol:

this is 2 years old but it shows all the players's distance covered against arsenal away.

View attachment 7444

The only downside to that is come March/April there is a lack of freshness in his play and he can be easier to contain against the top sides.

Total-Football

The coach of argentina should adapt his formation to Messi and let him play exactly where he plays for Barcelona. Aguero and Higuin are useless. Play a front 3 of dybala - dimaria - messi (middle as false 9). Messi roaming in the middle has no benefit at all.

JamDav1982

The coach of argentina should adapt his formation to Messi and let him play exactly where he plays for Barcelona. Aguero and Higuin are useless. Play a front 3 of dybala - dimaria - messi (middle as false 9). Messi roaming in the middle has no benefit at all.

He would never get the ball and come too deep to get it.

Be better off going with Aguero at CF and Messi behind him and trying to make that work.

raskolnikov

They still lack a midfield. I think Sabella got it right (kind off) just make them defensively solid. Play on the counter and have Messi set up the attack. Only with a clear instruction that they pass the ball back to him rather than go for glory.

JamDav1982

They still lack a midfield. I think Sabella got it right (kind off) just make them defensively solid. Play on the counter and have Messi set up the attack. Only with a clear instruction that they pass the ball back to him rather than go for glory.

Sabella had a solid back four and let them break with pace every time they got the ball through Aguero, Messi, Higuain and Di Maria.

That is the best Argentina have looked in years.

Aguero not being fit then Di Maria getting injured blew their chances really. Think they would have won it otherwise.

raskolnikov

Sabella had a solid back four and let them break with pace every time they got the ball through Aguero, Messi, Higuain and Di Maria.

That is the best Argentina have looked in years.

Aguero not being fit then Di Maria getting injured blew their chances really. Think they would have won it otherwise.
Yeah it could have been great. They were a few bad finishes away from a wc. It was weird. During the qualifiers they were bad ij defense bit scored a lot them during the wc it was the other way around. Everyone always praises argentinas attack on paper but we all know they always let Messi down. Especially di maria and aguaro ( And higuain in finals).

JamDav1982

Yeah it could have been great. They were a few bad finishes away from a wc. It was weird. During the qualifiers they were bad ij defense bit scored a lot them during the wc it was the other way around. Everyone always praises argentinas attack on paper but we all know they always let Messi down. Especially di maria and aguaro ( And higuain in finals).

Think that is over played and Messi himself has missed chances and penalties in those finals. All their levels have dropped or failed in big moments.

Higauin is not worth taking back but Aguero is their best CF and despite what it felt like last season just had his best ever goal scoring season.

Hopefully when Argentina qualify the pressure drops and they can find some kind of system.

Just feels like every Argie manager - Sampaoli included makes some really strange selections.

The players they have they best suit some kind of Atletico/Leicester style team on break as dont have midfielders or full backs to play with possession but Sampaoli seems to be going opposite way.

Meatball

Don't know if this was mentioned before but mental state played a big part in the Argentina team's "failures" lately. And it was not 100% the players fault (mentally). It was largely cuz of those ungrateful idiots in Arg, especially that c$nt Maradona. Every campaign, every tournament that Arg started, the people there always imposed the mindset "you win or your trash", putting tons of pressure on the players with Messi undeservedly suffering the most. Had they treated the team half as well as we've been doing to the Barca team, Arg would, I believe, have won at least one major title the past few years.

Givenchy

Don't know if this was mentioned before but mental state played a big part in the Argentina team's "failures" lately. And it was not 100% the players fault (mentally). It was largely cuz of those ungrateful idiots in Arg, especially that c$nt Maradona. Every campaign, every tournament that Arg started, the people there always imposed the mindset "you win or your trash", putting tons of pressure on the players with Messi undeservedly suffering the most. Had they treated the team half as well as we've been doing to the Barca team, Arg would, I believe, have won at least one major title the past few years.

its bizaree how Argentina treats its national team. they should try supporting England in a world cup, im sure they'd be more grateful with their players after that :lol:

they've had the 2 goats playing for them, Messi is 30 now so every moment should be cherished

Home of Barca Fans