10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I am very happy for Messi. He has finally reached the grandiest stage of them all, and I hope he is able to lift the trophy to finally cement his place in history (not that he hasn't already).

Some of you are being too quick to judge him. Messi is anything but unmotivated and I am sure deep down he wants to give it his all. His current form problem, in my opinion, is two fold:

1. He is marked extremely well. As soon as he receives the ball 2 men are on him like hungry dogs. Every team knows Messi doesn't need space to produce magic, so marking is usually very tight and aggressive. Off the ball, there is an opposing player always looming in his shadow. In order to rid himself of this "shadow" he must move more, but he doesn't, or he can't (I'll get to this in a bit). This struggle to rid himself of his marker is both a mental and a physical one. Messi, like all great players, needs constant touches on the ball since the get go. When this doesn't happen, like against the Dutch, frustration builds and he begins to lose motivation, albeit subconsciously.

2. Messi`s other problem is his conditioning. You cannot blame the man for not trying!!! Every time the camera zoomed in on him he looked spent and exhausted beyond belief. Many of you might be wondering why Messi is the only one being affected by lack of fitness if he's training just like everyone else? I think it has to do with Barcelona`s playing style. For years Barcelona have relied on exquisite technique and brilliant skill to win matches. Take a close look at some of their matches, specifically after the Guardiola era, they played them at walking, yes walking, pace. There was very little exertion from players, except a select few. This has slowly taken a toll on not only Messi, but the whole of FC Barcelona, evidenced by Spain's lackluster performances at the World Cup. However, this lack of conditioning has affected Messi even more, because he was out with an injury for a few months. Luckily, I have heard Lucho is big on conditioning and fitness, so that's a major plus towards getting us closer to seeing a more lively Messi.

Agreed. Particularly on your second point.

Welcome to the forum!

Icarium

Lifestealer
Can anybody post messi stats in 2014? Assists and goals. I think he is the best statistically this year, I just need some proof.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

impeh

Hi, its me..
Messi "is exhausted and feels as if his legs weigh 100 kilos each," his father Jorge told the Brazilian newspaper Folha de São Paulo.

Last edited:

Galning

It has nothing to do with stamina. Playing out of this world every single game for 5 seasons does that to a human being. Said this since he got injured against PSG two seasons ago: the man needs rest and he won't get it until he's retired.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
It has nothing to do with stamina. Playing out of this world every single game for 5 seasons does that to a human being. Said this since he got injured against PSG two seasons ago: the man needs rest and he won't get it until he's retired.

:(

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
Just imagine how tired he will be next season after this WC.

Lucho needs to step up and tell him "son, you need to rest and conserve your energy, so no more stat padding in small games, you will not start in lesser games and you will be sub'd out when we are handily winning in most games and that's that".

NotInHere

Yeah I think he was bound to decline, cant keep performing in supernatural ways year in and year out, he is human afterall, but his previous years were amazing, he really made us believe he was not from this Earth.

I'm just thankful that his still playing, and not out because of some bogus injury. From here and out I will lower my expectations, because everytime I end up being disappointed in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans