Memphis Depay

Jakabor

Hm should I post something more in line with what you'd post instead? What was wrong with that post?

Because you sound like you?ve already made up your about about Memphis, when in reality he has looked really good to start the preseason.

You have an obvious agenda.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
In his defense he was never really a party animal. Not even with United. The whole criticism at Man U started because of his hat combined with disappointing performances lol.

Yeah, but I think he was criticized more for having a huge ego and acting like he was some big shot player like CR7 when he wasn't.

He probably needed that reality check anyway. He could have gone the way of the Halilovic and Emre Mors of the world and kept on living in his own bubble while acting like a massive twat, but he didn't.

I can respect and value that.

Bobo32

His personality is very away from that of Neymar's. Don't be fooled by the rapping hobby or silly hat.

I don't know him or his personality, nor do I know Neymar - and I don't care that much or want to know, but his manners on the pitch and his aura there is a bit like that of a spoilt ghetto boy.
Today he dove in a very blatant and embarrassing manner one time, and at least three times he just stood still with his arms out and moaning about something.

His body language on the pitch is very irritating to me, the way he drops deep and just stands there, he looks very annoying! I don't like his style at all!

Bobo32

Because you sound like you?ve already made up your about about Memphis, when in reality he has looked really good to start the preseason.

You have an obvious agenda.

My mind was pretty made up beforehand, as I wrote in the post, and as I also wrote in the post I expected the signs to come a bit later - but I already saw today some signs that he'll play like I expected. I see similarities to Ibrahimovic and his season in Barcelona.

So far though, he has played decent enough football, a bit too error prone for my liking, but so far so good. Let's see if Koeman can keep him in his place. He'll surely keep him on the pitch....

Horatio

You're welcome
I will say he still has some maturing to do imo. Guy still doesn't handle criticism the best and can lash out. He is sensitive but has a huge heart. Been heavily involved into charity work for long time.

Only "scandal" of his I can remember(if you can call it that) was when he took a picture with a bred animal called a ligre(lion tiger hybrid). He got criticized for it heavily in NL and people already presumed he owns one. It turned out it was not his but still no the smartest thing to do.

He's probably seriously one of the most misunderstood football players over the previous decade. Always wanted him to do well, hope he delivers the goods at Barca. Not sure yet he has wat it takes.

xXKonan

He became the footballer that I think people were expecting out of him when he came to United, but the guy got like one season and that was under Van Gaal and barely a look in under Mou before he went to Lyon.

I remember reading Redcafe performance threads on him and early on they complained he was to bulky to make it as a winger which to be fair there is truth to it but credit to Depay though, he did make a good transition to the more forward role which made him flourish in France and so far he looks pretty damn good in Pre Season.

Horatio

You're welcome
I don't know him or his personality, nor do I know Neymar - and I don't care that much or want to know, but his manners on the pitch and his aura there is a bit like that of a spoilt ghetto boy.
Today he dove in a very blatant and embarrassing manner one time, and at least three times he just stood still with his arms out and moaning about something.

His body language on the pitch is very irritating to me, the way he drops deep and just stands there, he looks very annoying! I don't like his style at all!

Yeah, he probably acts a bit spoiled. It is kind of a Dutch generational thing where players feel very self-entitled(there are a few like that in NL team). Nevertheless...in Memphis' case he has always put football before everything else. Supposed to be very disciplined in that regard.
But very different to Neymar. Memphis never been gagging for attention and would not need to be considered front-runner of team(very team oriented). Mostly keeps to his own working on his football and music.

Last edited:

Bobo32

Yeah, he probably acts a bit spoiled. It is kind of a Dutch generational thing where players feel very self-entitled(there are a few like that in NL team). Nevertheless...in Memphis' case he has always put football before everything else. Supposed to be very disciplined in that regard.
But very different to Neymar. Memphis never been gagging for attention and would not need to be considered front-runner of team(very team oriented). Mostly keeps to his own working on his football and music.

Ok. I guess that's positive.
But he seems to be a bit immature mentally, sort of like Ronaldo, comparing himself to a lion!? etc? And I think he is very attention-seeking on the pitch. It can be good and productive for a football player to have that sort of mentality, they can be more focused and determined, but I don't really enjoy watching it, I prefer players who go out to pick mushrooms in their spare time so to say...

In PSV and Lyon he was the clear front-runner, no? In the NT as well? In Man Utd he wasn't, and I hope he won't be in Barcelona either... I wonder if that role suits him.

FinBarcelonafan

I think it's a breath of fresh air to have a guy that has some swagger to him that isn't boring as fuck like most of our signings last few years. I don't expect him to perform like a World Class player, but I think he'll be a good player for us and will adapt his game to mesh well with Messi.

Football's supposed to be fun too.

Amen to this.

Horatio

You're welcome
In PSV and Lyon he was the clear front-runner, no? In the NT as well? In Man Utd he wasn't, and I hope he won't be in Barcelona either... I wonder if that role suits him.

Yes he was but he doesn't act it. He's a team player and will be as happy providing an assist to fellow player as scoring himself. Not one to chase individual records.

The whole lion thing? Let's not forget he still has a PR-team behind him. He probably got the lion tattoo by his own choice and PR-team started to run with it once they found out. Anyway my take.

Man also was heavily rejected as a kid by other kids and their parents. That probably made him insecure and might be why he is not the best at dealing with criticism.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Good game from Dutch Jese then

Shame he?ll sit out half of his contract making mixtapes waiting for Laporta to hoover up the mess

Bobo32

Yes he was but he doesn't act it. He's a team player and will be as happy providing an assist to fellow player as scoring himself. Not one to chase individual records.

The whole lion thing? Let's not forget he still has a PR-team behind him. He probably got the lion tattoo by his own choice and PR-team started to run with it once they found out. Anyway my take.

Man also was heavily rejected as a kid by other kids and their parents. That probably made him insecure and might be why he is not the best at dealing with criticism.

Ronaldo loves to assist as well... Or to stand on the sideline and yell when he cannot play so that everyone can see...
I get that feeling around Depay, I think it was after his (nice) pre-assist for 2-0 he made some gestures as well. He loves to be in focus it looks to me. What some posters here call "swagger" or "fun" is what I don't really enjoy, stylistically.

I am not surprised by your last paragraphs, he does seem insecure and trying to compensate through football. I think it is a good mental state for some players, but I don't think it will be great for FC Barcelona right now. Maybe I will be proven wrong.

Home of Barca Fans