Ronald Koeman

Birdy

First coach since Pep to give so many minutes to youngsters:

Evs7dOGWQAEldvQ

jairzinho

Not only that but we're two points off Athleti and in the Copa final. That would have been unthinkable a couple months ago. What he's managed to pull off with team is nothing short of remarkable imo, granted there's still alot of games to go. Couldn't ask for a better turnaround with all the shit we've been through from last summer to now.

Horatio

You're welcome
First coach since Pep to give so many minutes to youngsters:

Many players debuted under Koeman. Media was speculating which young players would get a chance under him even before he started.
Got into trouble at Valencia with their group de amigos for wanting to rejuvenate the team.
Bit unfair to say he has only been giving youngsters a chance because of the situation. According to Mundo Deportivo sources Koeman doesn't look at age, but at attitude.

Last edited:

fergus90

Many players debuted under Koeman. Media was speculating which young players would get a chance under him even before he started.
Got into trouble at Valencia with their group de amigos for wanting to rejuvenate the team.
Bit unfair to say he has only been giving youngsters a chance because of the situation. According to Mundo Deportivo sources Koeman doesn't look at age, but at attitude.

Quite strange they'd question that really because at both Southampton and Feyenoord both teams incidentally where he had very modest budget to work with, he did some of his best work and integrated plenty of younger players.

Laplacian

Atletico has a game in hand though, though we're a lot closer than I expected us to be. If Atletico doesn't win this year they'll be a laughing stock, seriously.

Horatio

You're welcome
Atletico has a game in hand though, though we're a lot closer than I expected us to be. If Atletico doesn't win this year they'll be a laughing stock, seriously.

6 weeks ago(or less) atletico was ahead with 10 points with one game in hand. Now it's 5 points with 1 game in hand. After Sunday might be 2 points with 1 game in hand. If only this trend continues on a bit longer...

BarcaOG

Banned
Nice of him to continue trusting the youngsters. EV and Lucho didn't really do that.

If we win the Copa, manage a respectable draw or even a single goal victory in Paris (only a miracle would get us through) and perhaps even a serious challenge for La Liga (within five points of either winning it or coming second) then he will have had an ACCEPTABLE season (given previous results which we cannot simply wave away).

He still needs to do better in the following key matches against strong opposition: 1) Clasico; 2) against Atlei and 3) the Copa final.

Horatio

You're welcome
then he will have had an ACCEPTABLE season (given previous results which we cannot simply wave away).

I can see some finding it in their heart to do so considering he faced the following first half of the season:

-Barca internally complete mess
-Messi heavily underperforming to point people wanted him gone
-other players not up to their usual standards
-looking for new systems
-no freedom of bringing in players he so desires
-adding new players to 1/3rd of the team
-most of those are youngsters
-Pjanic
-injury spell
-Atletico with historical run

BarcaOG

Banned
I think those are valid complicating factors but I don't think they completely excuse Koeman. For example, his decisions to stick Busi in the line-up no matter how bad his form, as well as Lenglet, have cost us dearly. I am all for having a balanced assessment come the end of the season but that requires that we consider both what worked, what didn't, and what surprised.

Horatio

You're welcome
I think those are valid complicating factors but I don't think they completely excuse Koeman. For example, his decisions to stick Busi in the line-up no matter how bad his form, as well as Lenglet, have cost us dearly. I am all for having a balanced assessment come the end of the season but that requires that we consider both what worked, what didn't, and what surprised.

Sure, but even the coaches that people consider top-level make constant mistakes. It's just that those mistakes won't cost as much because most other things are in order, they manage to win their game or draw a tie or get enough points still generally and all will be forgotten. It's only when those mistakes go paired with disappointing results that things will be put under a magnifying glass. Koeman got into a situation and environment where a lot of things still needed improvement in order to make things work and thus small mistakes immediately having a bigger price to pay i.e. small error margin.

Last edited:

BarcaOG

Banned
Sure, but even the coaches that people consider top-level make constant mistakes. It's just that those mistakes won't cost as much because most other things are in order, they manage to win their game or draw a tie or get enough points still generally and all will be forgotten. It's only when those mistakes go paired with disappointing results that things will be put under a magnifying glass. Koeman got into a situation and environment where a lot of things still needed improvement in order to make things work and thus small mistakes immediately having a bigger price to pay i.e. small error margin.

Thing is, I don't think sticking to Busi and Lenglet were 'small' mistakes. They cost us the game against Paris and, had Atleti not collapsed as they have, probably the league as well. It's still very possible that if he does it again in Paris, PSG might put 3+ past us again.

All I'm saying is that those decisions have had consequences that should not be dismissed. Which is not the same as saying that he's been completely terrible. I am just suggesting that we draw a balanced assessment, and that must include both his failures and successes.

Horatio

You're welcome
Fair enough. Regarding PSG I think they simply are on another level at the moment. Expected a loss ever since we drew them. It's going to take time for us to get back at that level so they might put 3 behind us regardless. Also can't tell what'll happen to La Liga's level in the future. For the moment I am just looking for signs of improvement and things can look promising for the next season. It's a process that's going to need some time though.

Last edited:

Birdy

Imagine Barca manages to pull a legendary comeback and win LaLiga on the top of Copa this season.

I can imagine MANY people here will still want Koeman gone, and Xavi to replace him...
And this is telling of how people judge

Home of Barca Fans