3 - Gerard Pique

behindbrowneyes

With 51 goals, Gerard Pique is the club's top goalscorer in current roster. Crazy.

2nd: Dembele with 30 goals.
3rd: Coutinho with 23 goals.

Birdy

[MENTION=21238]barca[/MENTION]centre
? 15h
Piqu?: "Pep Guardiola? We reached an important point of tension with him, and with the dressing room in general. Pep wants absolute control of everything that happens."

Yes, and we all know in retrospect who was vindicated by history and who was not...

11/12 was an important moment in the recent history of the club, it was the moment when the dressing room seized full control after Pep's departure. It was when the Amigos clan was born, even before Suarez and Ney were here...
That's why Valverde was a yes man, that's why Setien could never work with the squad, that's why Koeman is a afraid even to this day to bench Pique, Busi, and Alba.
ARe you still wondering why no one had taken a pay-cut before Messi's official departure?

This team never had a coach with authority after Pep, and Barto's presidency only magnified the power of the Amigos.
Lucho was a good motivator and leader, but he never had full control. The only thing he did was a bit balancing of power.

Imagine if Rossel was not elected in 2010, and Laporta was still there, granting Pep full control over the dressing room to shape the squad as he wanted, and even get rid of the malicious crop..
What could have been...

FinBarcelonafan

Lucho benched amigos few times. I'd say he had control of the room on some level at Least. Probably to the max level you could have. I remember there being some tension between players and Lucho but not Setien level.

Birdy

Lucho benched amigos few times. I'd say he had control of the room on some level at Least.

Rakitic was mostly sitting on bench too.

He tried to regain some control, but eventually he didn't seize control.
He benches some Amigos here and there, like Messi that january, but I would say it was rather sporadic, and more an attempt to motivate them, rather than gaining some actual power.
Only Xavi was not a starter, and that due to age rather than anything else

Messigician

? 15h
Piqu?: "Pep Guardiola? We reached an important point of tension with him, and with the dressing room in general. Pep wants absolute control of everything that happens."

Yes, and we all know in retrospect who was vindicated by history and who was not...

11/12 was an important moment in the recent history of the club, it was the moment when the dressing room seized full control after Pep's departure. It was when the Amigos clan was born, even before Suarez and Ney were here...
That's why Valverde was a yes man, that's why Setien could never work with the squad, that's why Koeman is a afraid even to this day to bench Pique, Busi, and Alba.
ARe you still wondering why no one had taken a pay-cut before Messi's official departure?

This team never had a coach with authority after Pep, and Barto's presidency only magnified the power of the Amigos.
Lucho was a good motivator and leader, but he never had full control. The only thing he did was a bit balancing of power.

Imagine if Rossel was not elected in 2010, and Laporta was still there, granting Pep full control over the dressing room to shape the squad as he wanted, and even get rid of the malicious crop..
What could have been...

Pep was never gonna stay here long

Porque

Benching them to motivate them is/was the best idea. In the end they were the best players in their respective positions for a number of years- minus Sergi Roberto.

The problem was the diminishing returns coupled with the legacy of the players and their grouped power.

It didn't help that Valverde came with the goal of coating over what is left with a couple of galactico singings, aimed to get through to the end of his mandate and leave the mess for the next board to clean up.

He didn't expect covid to throw a spanner in and show the world the financial combustion he had created, blowing up in his face.

Birdy

Benching them to motivate them is/was the best idea. In the end they were the best players in their respective positions for a number of years- minus Sergi Roberto.
Agreed about that. Silly not to play them when they are top notch, and also when there is NO real alternative.
It was the best that Lucho could do at the time, given what had already happened.

But still, fielding the best players in their position, and then having a coach to manage them first and foremost on the psychological side, is not the ideal of Barca, but rather a galactico setting that fits more RM
I think had Pep stayed the story would have been different.

FinBarcelonafan

Agreed about that. Silly not to play them when they are top notch, and also when there is NO real alternative.
It was the best that Lucho could do at the time, given what had already happened.

But still, fielding the best players in their position, and then having a coach to manage them first and foremost on the psychological side, is not the ideal of Barca, but rather a galactico setting that fits more RM
I think had Pep stayed the story would have been different.

True. Our roster was super thin. 2016 season failed because lack of subs imo. We still had insane quality but the players were overplayed.

KingLeo10

? 15h

What could have been...

I wouldn't say Pep has been vindicated just yet. More that we've performed under expectations (even considering the majestic 2015 treble), but Pep has had his own set of clown shows in the CL.

He's obviously a great coach and we would have had a better team had he stayed at the helm all the way until 2021. But the difference would be 1 more CL IMO, not like we'd win 3-4 more.

Windhook

I wish he'd stayed, but with Rosell and Barto, notorious two people who get shit done behind your back all the time, it was impossible task. So he took a sabbatical and went to New York.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I wouldn't say Pep has been vindicated just yet. More that we've performed under expectations (even considering the majestic 2015 treble), but Pep has had his own set of clown shows in the CL.

He's obviously a great coach and we would have had a better team had he stayed at the helm all the way until 2021. But the difference would be 1 more CL IMO, not like we'd win 3-4 more.

Agree, i have to say im surprised about his cl-less years. When he left barca i thought the next club which he will take will win the cl but coaching bayern and city and still didnt win cl is for a coach of his level is unexpected. I hope he will win a cl soon, the passion which he shows in matches deserve a cl imo.

Birdy

Had he stayed under Laporta with authority to manage dressing room and decide on signings, I would say at least 2 more CLs
given how good the core was in 2012, and that Ney and Suarez would get transfered in most likely

Messigician

Had he stayed under Laporta with authority to manage dressing room and decide on signings, I would say at least 2 more CLs
given how good the core was in 2012, and that Ney and Suarez would get transfered in most likely

Lmfao

No Rosell no Neymar

JamDav1982

Pep had authority over dressing room and left for other reasons which he gave himself.

Has been done to death this lie that he left due to lack of control.

Pique is a twat and any top coach worth his salt would have punted him years and years ago. Even just this week he is off surfing when is out with an injury.

He is about the worst leader of a dressing room will ever see. Spends half his time bitching about Real with a chip on shoulder about referees when Barca need a leader that focuses team on pitch.

His legs are gone and yet his arrogance still thinks he is a top player and an asset despite annual humiliations.

Club cant move on to where is needed with past it liabilities like him and Busquets.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans