Mesut Ozil

Maria

Not only that, he's also got the most key passes, as well as the best rating in the premier league on whoscored. Most assist, most key passes, best rating, only after two games. Incredible.

And guess what? Even though he only got limited playing time for Real Madrid he's still the player this season who's played the most key passes.
What a player he is! Doesn't matter if he's having an average game, he'll still create plenty of chances for his teammates.

Isco better? Bullshit.

You know that the madridistas were using the same arguments when they were trying to prove that Ozil is a better player than Iniesta? Not that you're not right, but I think that we should give Isco atleast a year at RM before making any judgements. After all, he is younger than Sergi Roberto.

We made a big mistake rejecting Ozil when he wanted to come to us and at a ridiculous price of about €10 million or so !!

I'd love to have him here in couple of years .

The man was too afraid to compete with Isco and Di Maria..what makes you believe that he wanted to compete with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi in 2010?

We've won plenty with Pique, doesn't mean we don't desperately need to add a world class CB. And because we won plenty without Özil, doesn't mean we wouldn't have won more with him. Your argument is just so dull.

When we were winning the most, Pique was the best CB in the world or atleast top 5.And to have won more with Ozil, it would have meant that the german would have performed better in the CL than Iniesta or Messi(because those 2 play in the positions were Ozil could have have played at Barca).

Last edited:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Unless Barca buys him, Ozil isnt going anywhere

Him moving to Barca is not happening... But Bayern, for example, is still possible. Or may be oil based clubs!!

The man was too afraid to compete with Isco and Di Maria..what makes you believe that he wanted to compete with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi in 2010?
regardless of his attitude 10M for him would have been a scoop and we would have made a profit on him, if we had to sell him, for a change

When we were winning the most, Pique was the best CB in the world or atleast top 5.And to have won more with Ozil, it would have meant that the german would have performed better in the CL than Iniesta or Messi(because those 2 play in the positions were Ozil could have have played at Barca).
Ozil could have very easily played as RF for us... We could as well have avoided splashing so much money for Alexis too!!

Last edited:

Maria

Him moving to Barca is not happening... But Bayern, for example, is still possible. Or may be oil based clubs!!

If Bayern would have wanted him, they would have bought him before he left Germany.

regardless of his attitude 10M would have been a scoop for him and we would have made a profit on him for a change

For that to happend Barca would have also needed the player's agreement..and from what I've seen this summer from Ozil, I just don't think that he would have wanted to be at Barca. And if we talk about profit, we made a profit for Thiago and we still didn't bought a CB so I stopped carring about that stuff.

Ozil could have very easily played as RF for us... We could as well have avoided splashing so much money for Alexis too!!

Nah..I just don't see it. Maybe if we would have had a striker..but with Messi as a false 9 he just wouldn't have fitted into our system. There are many players that I regret not seeing in a Barca shirt, but with the creative players that we have, Ozil isn't one of them.

Last edited:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
If Bayern would have wanted him, they would have bought him before he left Germany.
We could never rule that out... Say, for example, he repeats his WC heroics next summer and outshines the other German stars that Bayerrn have now!!

For that to happen Barca would have also needed the player's agreement..and from what I've seen this summer from Ozil, I just don't think that he would have wanted to be at Barca.
He dressed his kid in Messi's jersey in 2012 summer and even announced many times he was a Barca fan... He totally wanted to move to Barca and would have definitely agreed if the board wanted to sign him. But Pep wanted to bring in Cesc and God knows wat was going on in his mind

Maria

We could never rule that out... Say, for example, he repeats his WC heroics next summer and outshines the other German stars that Bayerrn have now!!
He is already seen as the star of the german NT, yet Bayern prefered Kroos, a player who can't even get into Germany's first 11, and Gotze.

He dressed his kid in Messi's jersey in 2012 summer and even announced many times he was a Barca fan...

Seriously? I missed all that. And it hurts more to see him in a RM t-shirt:

tumblr_inline_moszu5dlaB1qz4rgp.png

Last edited:

Henry_IB

Banned

I wasn't actually making an argument for whether Özil would perform better than Iniesta or Messi or about Pique's ability a few years ago. It was directed to show the guy that simply saying "we won plenty without without özil" without further motivations (such as what you posted) says nothing in itself. It was a hit at the logic presented, not at the validity of the claim. But you clearly missed that.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
He is already seen as the star of the german NT, yet Bayern prefered Kroos, a player who can't even get into Germany's first 11, and Gotze.
Kroos is their home grown player so it is not really a shock that they preferred him to Ozil... When they bought Gotze, Ozil was a star in Real Madrid, they couldn't sign him if they wanted to!!

Seriously? I missed all that. And it hurts more to see him in a RM t-shirt:

tumblr_inline_moszu5dlaB1qz4rgp.png
I don't know who that guy in the pic is... Is it Isco? If it is so, that's got no point in the present discussion.
I mentioned the wrong year btw, it was actually in 2010 that Ozil dressed his son in Messi's jersey, he even wrote on his official site that he loves Barca and that he would love to play for us. Him giving a statement in press that he was a cule is precisely the reason Real forced him to say that he was a fan of Zidane in his presentation.

Last edited:

suckabov

Lemon curry?

Frankly, I don't understand why this argument is repeated over and over again.

If Özil was "afraid" of competition, WHY did he join Madrid in 2010? He was 22 years old and by no means was guaranteed a spot in the starting XI. People even condemned him as a nine day wonder or too weak to make it there, but he did. Afraid of competition? What? I can't understand why people forget about that so quickly. Also, as Wenger said, playing or Germany you ALWAYS face competition and pressure.

Of course it's critical to not be a starter in a world cup year, and that certainly played a role in his move to Arsenal. But that has nothing to do with being afraid of competition. I find it even a bit unfair to bring that up as an argument against him - when Thiago left, people blamed Tito or Rosell. Özil was twice as proven as Thiago for Real Madrid - but it's his fault, because he didn't want to "fight for his spot"? I wonder if Ronaldo would want to fight for his spot. Not comparing Özil with Ronaldo, but still.

Oh I'm sure they would have bought him if Özil had played for a club that was more of a threat for Bayern than Werder. No implications here, but Bayern's criteria are usually like this: A) The player is Bavarian/Austrian/from Munich and does not play for 1860 München or B) the player is playing for the club that currently means the most competition for Bayern (Götze and Lewandowski are just two very obvious examples). And rarely: The coach demands it.

Plus, Hoeneß even said he prefers Schweinsteiger over Messi. Doesn't mean anything.

And for the record, Özil doesn't have a kid.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!

If Özil was "afraid" of competition, WHY did he join Madrid in 2010? He was 22 years old and by no means was guaranteed a spot in the starting XI. People even condemned him as a nine day wonder or too weak to make it there, but he did. Afraid of competition? What? I can't understand why people forget about that so quickly. Also, as Wenger said, playing or Germany you ALWAYS face competition and pressure.

Of course it's critical to not be a starter in a world cup year, and that certainly played a role in his move to Arsenal. But that has nothing to do with being afraid of competition. I find it even a bit unfair to bring that up as an argument against him - when Thiago left, people blamed Tito or Rosell. Özil was twice as proven as Thiago for Real Madrid - but it's his fault, because he didn't want to "fight for his spot"? I wonder if Ronaldo would want to fight for his spot. Not comparing Özil with Ronaldo, but still.
exactly... It's just that Madrid are trying to shift the blame on to Ozil, it was them that mis-treated him after he did so well for them! So to look good, they are just covering it up by saying Ozil couldn't face competition!!

A player who fears competition would never sign for Real Madrid! Especially when Perez's the president!!

And for the record, Özil doesn't have a kid.
http://www.tribalfootball.com/werder-bremen-star-mesut-ozil-barcelona-988661#.UkK-gz-_cbg

tumblr_mf47lbwP1O1rf5hf3o1_400.gif

I am not sure if it's his son or his ex-girlfriend's son... But it was all over the news then, in 2010, that the kid was wearing Messi's jersey

Maria

Who was Ozil's competition in 2010? Kaka, Pedro Leon, Di Maria and Canales? Not even close to Isco, Modric, Di Maria and Bale.

Your theory has a major flaw: Thiago didn't leave when Cesc came(like happend with Ozil and Isco), he left when he realized that the coach didn't trusted him. Ozil didn't even waited for that to happend. And for the record, I don't blame him for wanting to leave from RM and I don't even try to excuse Florentino Perez or Ancelotti..everybody plays a part in this story and I'm sure that Perez was more than happy to cash-in(just like Rosell was happy to sell "Thiago Silva", like he called Thiago, because the club needed the money).
But that is just my opinion on Ozil and why he wouldn't have came at Barca in 2010..could I be wrong? Of course..I thought that Neymar wasn't going to be a good signing for us and obviously I was wrong.

Oh I'm sure they would have bought him if Özil had played for a club that was more of a threat for Bayern than Werder. No implications here, but Bayern's criteria are usually like this: A) The player is Bavarian/Austrian/from Munich and does not play for 1860 München or B) the player is playing for the club that currently means the most competition for Bayern (Götze and Lewandowski are just two very obvious examples). And rarely: The coach demands it.

You are basically agreeing with me that Ozil won't go at Bayern.

Plus, Hoeneß even said he prefers Schweinsteiger over Messi. Doesn't mean anything.

I don't understand what you are trying to say with this..is Hoeness to proud to admit that Bayern needs/wants Ozil? Or that them having Kroos doesn't mean that Ozil isn't the better player(because that's debatable and if I would choose a player between the 2 of them for Barca, I would definitelly choase Kroos)?
Either way, I only said that Bayern doesn't want/need Ozil and I think that if you look at their squad you will see that I'm right.

Ursegor

World Champion
Feared competition? Özil is not stupid. Madrid bought a Spanish youngstar for his prefered position and a € 100M signing for his second position (which he doesn't like anyway). What do people think would have happened if he stayed and "fought for his place"? Madrid didn't spend € 130M on Isco and Bale to sit them on the bench. The best that Özil could have hoped for would have been a rotation role like the Benzema / Higuain situation under Mourinho (that didn't last long either). Which isn't something a 24 year old will accept for the rest of his career.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Who was Ozil's competition in 2010? Kaka, Pedro Leon, Di Maria and Canales? Not even close to Isco, Modric, Di Maria and Bale.
What I meant was you always face competition and pressure playing for Real Madrid, especially if you're a youngster and you're new. If he was "afraid", he would have preferred a safer path (such as Arsenal).
Not just Özil though, I believe there are few football players who are "afraid" of competition, otherwise they wouldn't perform in competitive sports.
And Modric arrived last season, so...

Your theory has a major flaw: Thiago didn't leave when Cesc came(like happend with Ozil and Isco), he left when he realized that the coach didn't trusted him. Ozil didn't even waited for that to happend.
But that's exactly what he said: "I didn't feel the trust anymore", and frankly, Özil is not the mastermind to come up with stories. He decided to stay AFTER Isco had played his first few games and decided to leave only on the weekend before the transfer window ended, so I don't think it was the Isco arrival that made him leave - Bale, perhaps. I don't know. But I certainly believe him when he says it has to do with trust. The thing is: Özil is a proven playmaker for Real Madrid. The fact that he has to compete for a spot with a newcomer (or make place to him) shows that the management/coach did not trust him as much as his role in the past years would suggest. Would they expect Ronaldo to fight for his spot? No, they wouldn't. They even give him more money. Now I know Ronaldo is their most important player etc, but still. It's not as if Özil was some nobody who had yet to prove his worth to the coach. And why would he? He has shown he is a class player and one of the best playmakers in the world. He is too good to be on the bench, and if that's what is in for him at Real Madrid, he shouldn't stay.

I don't understand what you are trying to say with this..is Hoeness to proud to admit that Bayern needs/wants Ozil? Or that them having Kroos doesn't mean that Ozil isn't the better player(because that's debatable and if I would choose a player between the 2 of them for Barca, I would definitelly choase Kroos)?
Either way, I only said that Bayern doesn't want/need Ozil and I think that if you look at their squad you will see that I'm right.
Your first question: No, not too proud, but too arrogant to admit there are players that are better than his beloved Bayern players. It's just Hoeneß, it doesn't mean anything. He's always been like that.
That's why he constantly diminishes any player that is currently being talked about, even if he has nothing to do with them whatsoever. Whenever a club lands a great deal or whenever a player is being praised in the press, Hoeneß is quick to brag how Bayern doesn't need them. A few examples:
Messi: "Messi? We have Müller, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Alaba"; "That certain South-American player", "Messi hasn't achieved anything"
Neymar: "Barca got Neymar? Guardiola wanted him too, but young Brazilians don't fare well here"
Ronaldo: "Ribery is better than him"
Özil: "We wouldn't have bought him even if he had been offered to us" ; "Honestly: I think Kroos is the better player. [...] He shows good performances for the national team too" (as if Özil hadn't)

What I keep wondering when I hear him say those things is, "Thanks for the information, Hoeneß, but who was talking about Bayern?"

As for your second question: Yes, that was what I said - and in terms of talent, skill, vision etc, I don't think many would consider Kroos a better player. Maybe Hoeneß sincerely does, but him saying that doesn't mean much. He would say that about any Bayern player.

Yeah, wasn't arguing that.

Feared competition? Özil is not stupid. Madrid bought a Spanish youngstar for his prefered position and a € 100M signing for his second position (which he doesn't like anyway). What do people think would have happened if he stayed and "fought for his place"? Madrid didn't spend € 130M on Isco and Bale to sit them on the bench. The best that Özil could have hoped for would have been a rotation role like the Benzema / Higuain situation under Mourinho (that didn't last long either). Which isn't something a 24 year old will accept for the rest of his career.

+1000
And to continue that last sentence, it isn't something which a player of Özil's potential SHOULD accept for the rest of his career. He is too good to be a benchwarmer and was right to leave.

Last edited:

loozy

exactly... It's just that Madrid are trying to shift the blame on to Ozil, it was them that mis-treated him after he did so well for them! So to look good, they are just covering it up by saying Ozil couldn't face competition!!

A player who fears competition would never sign for Real Madrid! Especially when Perez's the president!!

http://www.tribalfootball.com/werder-bremen-star-mesut-ozil-barcelona-988661#.UkK-gz-_cbg

tumblr_mf47lbwP1O1rf5hf3o1_400.gif

I am not sure if it's his son or his ex-girlfriend's son... But it was all over the news then, in 2010, that the kid was wearing Messi's jersey

He doesn't have a child, it's his ex-girlfriend's son whom she had with another footballer.

Yugi

Ozil likes competition and challenges, I mean he has to learn how to drive on the left side, thats pretty challenging

Home of Barca Fans