Xavi Hernández

Messi983

He has just bought at least 2 seasons at a club:
1. this season, if he improves over Koeman = it's a win
2. if he'll suck the same as Koeman = we'll say: he is young, he didn't have a preseason, he didn't buy new players, give him some time (either way we don't have other options), the next season will be better

And then in the next season:
= as long as he stays in top4 and if his football will have any sense, he won't get sacked

So, the only way to get sacked is to have a season's start like Koeman this season.

So you want to sack him before he's even hired? :lol:

What are your realistic expectations he should do this season to deserve to stay next season?

And what should he do next season (his first full season) to earn another year?

Bobo32

I have some money on Barcelona winning CL this season. I think the bet turned +EV over night
But Xavi should be given time of course.

Rory

As long as results aren't bad and we are clearly building towards something and he doesn't repeat the same old mistakes he should be given as long as needed to bring us back to the top. Klopp's first 3 seasons he finished 8th, 4th, and 4th. Imagine they sacked him because a year before he arrived they finished 2nd.

Not saying he's ever going to be Klopp but it's worth being patient with managers who have a system and a plan in place.

serghei

I think arrogance might be Xavi's biggest problem, not his soft spots for friends. He might adopt a state of mind like, I'm gonna show people these players aren't so finished as believed. This could be dangerous, because players like Pique, Coutinho these are completely done imo.

Make it Busi and Alba for experience and that's it.

Also, there's the Stegen problem, as unfortunately, Xavi might fancy him, which will cost him points.

mc_lovin

If Xavi has problems with handling his friends he's not coach material anyway, whether he joins now or in three years. I don't think Busquets, Roberto or Alba are a problem though, but Pique could very well be.

FC B

I think arrogance might be Xavi's biggest problem, not his soft spots for friends. He might adopt a state of mind like, I'm gonna show people these players aren't so finished as believed. This could be dangerous, because players like Pique, Coutinho these are completely done imo.

Make it Busi and Alba for experience and that's it.

Also, there's the Stegen problem, as unfortunately, Xavi might fancy him, which will cost him points.

Certainly he will since he loves his passing skills. And the above mentioned too, ofc.

serghei

If Xavi has problems with handling his friends he's not coach material anyway, whether he joins now or in three years. I don't think Busquets, Roberto or Alba are a problem though, but Pique could very well be.

No doubt. He needs to establish his authority right away.

FinBarcelonafan

As long as results aren't bad and we are clearly building towards something and he doesn't repeat the same old mistakes he should be given as long as needed to bring us back to the top. Klopp's first 3 seasons he finished 8th, 4th, and 4th. Imagine they sacked him because a year before he arrived they finished 2nd.

Not saying he's ever going to be Klopp but it's worth being patient with managers who have a system and a plan in place.

I agree with this,as long as we see progress in team play and development he can stay.

vegitot

Look like he will come soon. So that Barca are still alive in UCL. His mission is help Barca past group stage. Bayern are waiting him. Imagine another humiliation :koeman:

vegitot

Xavi has spent almost his whole life at this club and knows what pressure will be on him better than anyone of us. But from his standpoint coming in now is better than being hired a few months ago. People have basically no expectations for this season besides finishing top 4 so he'll have next 8 months to set up his system, know the players and then start to prepare next season together with Laporta, Alemany&Co.

I don't know why people think Xavi will have zero expection. His expection is very high. Look at how people react now, most expect Xavi will take Barca to top of the world in no time.

vegitot

He has just bought at least 2 seasons at a club:
1. this season, if he improves over Koeman = it's a win
2. if he'll suck the same as Koeman = we'll say: he is young, he didn't have a preseason, he didn't buy new players, give him some time (either way we don't have other options), the next season will be better

And then in the next season:
= as long as he stays in top4 and if his football will have any sense, he won't get sacked

So, the only way to get sacked is to have a season's start like Koeman this season.

So Xavi has a win-win situation. Like you said, if the team improves, he wins. If the team fails, blame Koeman. Though if he can't go past UCL group stage then i think he should share some responsibility.

FinBarcelonafan

So Xavi has a win-win situation. Like you said, if the team improves, he wins. If the team fails, blame Koeman. Though if he can't go past UCL group stage then i think he should share some responsibility.

Why is he getting blame for CL? He will be there only for two games and if we don't beat Kiev next week we are most likely out.

M3ls

By the way, the concepts of Ten Haag and Xavi are different.

The latter is based on juego de posicion (I hope you understand what this system implies), and in Ten Haag's system there is more chaos, movement.

Example:

juego de posicion: we strictly hold our positions, do not pull ourselves closer to the ball unless there is a strong need for it.

Ten Haag's model: the conditional left striker can be on the same flank with the right striker in order to provide a numerical advantage, and then, due to the individual qualities of the players, a quick pass to the walls, cutting into the last third of the field. - players pose a threat to other people's gates. That is, there is more order in Xavi's model, but this does not mean that the Ten Haag system is bad, they just differ, although both involve attacking football.

Home of Barca Fans