Athletic Club de Bilbao

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
you don't seem to get it do you ?

your location or whereabouts can't be the only merit for getting a job or being picked as a footballer .. has nothing to do with localness (whoever invented that word ) .. u want to be local u can pick any player from anywhere in Spain not just those born in certain regions .. the moment u start classifying people based on difference u are racist not a noble tradition so i guess you are one Adam ..

hope one day you will understand what this means

Why not? Why can't a company say that they want only local employees who understand their customers and company ethos? There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Yorkshire cricket club employed the same policy for years, they would only field Yorkshiremen or the sons of Yorkshiremen and they only changed that policy when their competitivity suffered. Athletic couldn't pick players from anywhere in Spain because they're not a "Spanish" club, they're Basque and representatives of Euskadi on the sports field.

Beast

The Observer
Why not? Why can't a company say that they want only local employees who understand their customers and company ethos? There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Yorkshire cricket club employed the same policy for years, they would only field Yorkshiremen or the sons of Yorkshiremen and they only changed that policy when their competitivity suffered. Athletic couldn't pick players from anywhere in Spain because they're not a "Spanish" club, they're Basque and representatives of Euskadi on the sports field.

So was Milan AC and the reason for the foundation of Inter Milan was AC Milan "Nationalistic " tendency .. hence why i hate AC Milan ..

it's a concept that could work 100 years ago when employees used to suffer in transportation ..etc but not now and it's not correct to select employees based on location /localisms . the preference should always be merit on the pitch not your place of birth
if companies apply that you & me would be out of work ..they can represent the Euskadi the same way Barca represent Catalunia.. u don't see me accuse barca of racism ..

can you imagine your history without Kubala , Cruyff, Romario,Koeman,Rivaldo,Dinho,Messi..etc

J

Jordzibob

So was Milan AC and the reason for the foundation of Inter Milan was AC Milan "Nationalistic " tendency .. hence why i hate AC Milan ..

it's a concept that could work 100 years ago when employees used to suffer in transportation ..etc but not now and it's not correct to select employees based on location /localisms . the preference should always be merit on the pitch not your place of birth
if companies apply that you & me would be out of work ..they can represent the Euskadi the same way Barca represent Catalunia.. u don't see me accuse barca of racism ..

can you imagine your history without Kubala , Cruyff, Romario,Koeman,Rivaldo,Dinho,Messi..etc

No, of course we coudlnt imagine our history without those players, but thats soley down to the fact that Atletics selection policy is more unusual than anyone else's, we dont rely completely on homegrown players. They are not doing it out of racial hatred Beast, they are just doing it purely to promote their own homegrown Basque players. Its racism but not in a negative way.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
We have a different ethos from Athletic, they have always been about fielding Basque players and providing a platform for local talent whilst Barça was founded as a sports club for foreign residents of Catalunya. On the point about my job, ironically enough I'm only employed by Santander bank because I am English and I can communicate more effectively with expatriate customers. Trying to draw a comparison between a football club and a multinational coporation is tricky to say the least because football clubs should be part of their communities and Athletic do that superbly. I'll be going to San Mamés in November and can't wait to experience the fervour of la catedral.

Jordzi, I don't even see it as racism because they accept players of any race if they're born in Euskal Herria. It's most certainly nationalism but I have no objection to that when we're talking about expressions of national identity by nations without a state.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Ah yes of course, hence the name and the Sunderland/Southampton colours. Anyway, my point about Barça still stands and I personally have no objections to Athletic's policy. If I moved to Bilbao and my children were born there they could play for Athletic....in fact how cool would that be? I could father the first ever ginger Athletic player :D

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
I don't really mind the policy I admire the fact that they stick by it when they could sign far better players.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
From reading this thread it just seems Bilbao is another feature for Gio and CA to fight over and its getting ridiculous to the point that I know that half of what they write, they don't mean, but are saying it anyway to score points over the other person............

Now a deep breath :D

I admire what Bilbao's ethos is and if that is what they want to do then just let them, why the hell stop them?

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Actually on this particular occasion I happen to mean what I say. Whether Gio does or not I don't know.

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
Once the thread is about Athletic Bilbao, one question: someone can tell me if Julian Guerrero still play? I remember him some years ago... he was the most valuable player of Athletic. Were he is in the moment (if, of course, he stll play)?

Antimilan

Can they beat Anderlecht ?? I just don't get the philosophy of Bilbao... they can be in a fantastic form for 2-3 games, then suddenly loose badly, even at home, like from Bremen this week.
However, I hope they'll pass through this round.

E

Esteve

lol, I'm glad you didn't add Viva España at the end of that message, in here of all threads.

Home of Barca Fans