European Super League

fergus90

They wouldnt be denied as there is a route to qualify for the ESL just more limited than previously.

There are 5 available spaces after the 15 permament members. One of those two is going to miss out automatically as they will want other countries represented.

Last edited:

soul24rage

Could see something like this happening in the Americas aswell with the big clubs from Brazil, Argentina, Mexico forming a new super league together with other big clubs in the region like Penarol, Colo Colo, Olimpia, Athletico Nacional etc and may even invites to a few from MLS also. Wouldn't be a bad idea tbh.

The travel time between those countries such as Brazil to Mexico and vice versa would be the biggest problem

Yannik

Already happens in league that some in midtable and higher have prioritised other competitions if not much to play for in league. Nothing new.

Liverpool few seasons ago and Man Utd have both given up on domestic leagues to try and get CL place through Europa for example.

Which isnt a thing then. ESL participation is fix, you cant qualify or miss it. So what happens is that they will play the B-squad in the league and the A-squad in the ESL.

Teams will still be as desperate to win the domestic leagues and prioritising other trophies or competitions happens already at times.

Literally only 1-2 clubs every year will do that. Clubs will play along for the first half of the season, see out if a title win is likely, and if not they will just nope out and give no fucks since everything from 16-2 doesnt matter.
Look at the current PL table with Cities lead and tell me: How many teams there would still play their A-squad at this point?

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Which isnt a thing then. ESL participation is fix, you cant qualify or miss it. So what happens is that they will play the B-squad in the league and the A-squad in the ESL.

Literally only 1-2 clubs every year will do that and everyone else will just play along for half the season, and then nope out once the title isnt in reach.
Look at the current PL table with Cities lead and tell me: How many teams there would still play their A-squad at this point?

What isnt a thing? I said there is already situations teams play weaker sides in league at times. Happens just about every season for different reasons. Nothing new just might happen more.

Only 1-2 clubs most season can win league already and if anything may be more competitive if big clubs have more to deal with in Europe when others dont. Can look at it both ways.

FC433

Out of curiosity is there anyone here definitely in full favour of it?
I think there are +s and -s to it, and I absolutely understand each side. I do not particularly have a stance on the matter; however, I just refuse to believe that any official side cares about the game. There should not be any moral arguments/ principles involved in the discussion. Keep those aside, please.

El Flaco

BBC Sport polling from November 2020 showed highest level of support for Super League among younger fans

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1384043636652871686

EzUbfErUYAUOGse

fergus90

I think there are +s and -s to it, and I absolutely understand each side. I do not particularly have a stance on the matter; however, I just refuse to believe that any official side cares about the game. There should not be any moral arguments/ principles involved in the discussion. Keep those aside, please.

That's fair, I am personally against it for the lack of sporting merit involved in qualification.

I do think the current CL could be reformatted to be more competitive especially at Group Stage as it's a foregone conclusion until February but this exclusive Super League isn't the answer for me.

jairzinho

The travel time between those countries such as Brazil to Mexico and vice versa would be the biggest problem

I think the only issue with be for the MLS teams having to travel further south on a regular basis but the rest of the teams should have no problems. Even then with proper scheduling that could be solved.

Home of Barca Fans