Quique Setien

El Gato

Villarato!
But thats exactly what I am saying. We are talking here about a rumoured 2.5 year contract. If it was a 6 month or a 1 year contract , I would have understood Poch not taking the offer.

To me it just seems a continuation of hiring yes-man , which Ratomeu loves to do.

2.5 years is a fair length of time for any manager who enters a new club with some kind of plan that he wants others to take seriously. What he's getting here in reality is 2 full seasons on paper starting in the summer (which isn't unusual for any new coach, even Solari got 3 years officially), probably still on the condition Barcelona overperform this spring. Right now it's his trial period which I don't doubt Barcelona made clear to him and presented an appropriate release terms if no 'magic' happens. Then if it's status quo Bartomeu will keep him, because it a) costs less to not sack him and sign on another manager with a new set of demands and b) he's got less leverage on his own status and position to be asking for too much down the line - again, cheaper, long term.

Sailor Mars

2.5 years is a fair length of time for any manager who enters a new club with some kind of plan that he wants others to take seriously. What he's getting here in reality is 2 full seasons on paper starting in the summer (which isn't unusual for any new coach, even Solari got 3 years officially), probably still on the condition Barcelona overperform this spring. Right now it's his trial period which I don't doubt Barcelona made clear to him and presented an appropriate release terms if no 'magic' happens. Then if it's status quo Bartomeu will keep him, because it a) costs less to not sack him and sign on another manager with a new set of demands and b) he's got less leverage on his own status and position to be asking for too much down the line - again, cheaper, long term.

Yeah it makes more sense if there are certain performance clauses in Setien's contract. But who knows with Barto and his board?

Raketa10

Who did you want the club to hire, out of curiosity?

And why is Setien so terrible?

Setien is fucking nobody. A 61 year old manager who coached Logeones, Lugo, Betis and Las Palmas. Some of you were saying the same thing when Valverde was hired. People were saying that he is the most logical choice! And what happened? He got no respect from our players and Setien will get even less because he is nobody. If he is good enough than at least 100 managers are also good enough. This is laughable!

Just appoint Pimienta for the next 6 months and than in summer go for Ten Hag, or Xavi or Koeman, This is the final nail in the coffin for this generation. Horrible decision. He will be worse than Valverde, you'll see.

Last edited:

messi2140

6racies Xavi

Fair enough on this part , but you have to remember that Barto has 1.5 years left before his tenure is over.

All Im saying if you were to offer a manager a fairly long contract why not go for a more established manager who atleast achieved impressive things especially when someone like that is available . Im not saying Setien is a 100 percent bust , It's just another one of those coaches that Ratomeu loves to hire in a long line of average managers that didn't achieve anything before they got hired .

BarçaBarça

I'm pretty sceptical about him in the long run. In the short run, let's hope he injects some energy and make us play more exciting!
But I really do hope we tie up this league as well, playing better (hardly difficult compared to this season so far) is not enough..

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Setien is fucking nobody. A 61 year old manager who coached Logeones, Lugo, Betis and Las Palmas. Some of you were saying the same thing when Valverde was hired! If he is good enough than at least 100 managers are also good enough. This is laughable!

Jus appoint Pimienta for 6 months and than in summer go with Ten Hag, or Xavi or Koeman, This is the final end of this generation. Horrible decision. He will be worse than Valverde.

Personally I preferred Pimienta too but Setien isn't that bad, Real Betis under him played really attractive football. There is no guarantee that Xavi or Koeman (the Dutch Valverde?) will be better than him.

Give him some time.

5ergio_Busquets

According to TV3 Brazilian club Sao Paolo were considering signing him but they didn't because he isn't a big enough name for them.
But this appointment isn't surprising coming from the people who signed Boateng.

Raketa10

Personally I preferred Pimienta too but Setien isn't that bad, Real Betis under him played really attractive football. There is no guarantee that Xavi or Koeman (the Dutch Valverde?) will be better than him.

Give him some time.

No it isn't that bad it's an epic disaster. People who are leading this club are the biggest idiots ever!

Koeman and Xavi are legends of this club and they would at least have some respect from players while this clown will end up like Valverde. Maybe even worse.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
According to TV3 Brazilian club Sao Paolo were considering signing him but they didn't because he isn't a big enough name for them.
But this appointment isn't surprising coming from the people who signed Boateng.

Big name? It has to start somewhere, nobody had a big name to begin with. Certainly not Pep when he just started.

Give him some time. If he doesn't work out, hopefully we will act in a swift and decisive fashion and replace him with someone else.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I don't like the appointment myself, but there's no reason to act like the club will cease to exist.

For all we know he could exceed our expectations. I gave Ernie a lot of time to change so I'll give Setien time to show something too.

No big name manager would have joined right now. Setien is probably the best guy we could have gotten right now. Valverde was done anyway, apparently had several players turning against him.

terryzinc

They can easily eat the contract if the next 6 months are a disaster - Koeman Ten Hag Gallardo will all be available next year.

Marshall D Teach

I don't like the appointment myself, but there's no reason to act like the club will cease to exist.

For all we know he could exceed our expectations. I gave Ernie a lot of time to change so I'll give Setien time to show something too.

No big name manager would have joined right now. Setien is probably the best guy we could have gotten right now. Valverde was done anyway, apparently had several players turning against him.

Should still only have been a 6 month appointment. Appoint Pimienta if Setien doesn't accept that.

Raketa10

Big name? It has to start somewhere, nobody had a big name to begin with. Certainly not Pep when he just started.

Give him some time. If he doesn't work out, hopefully we will act in a swift and decisive fashion and replace him with someone else.

We don't have time! We have the most expensive squad ever and Pep was not 61 years old coach who managed laughable teams his entire career. Basically that firs year with Betis is his biggest achievement. :facepalm:

If this was a 6 months deal all of us would have accept it. But two and a half years basically means this guy is here until the end of this generation and Messi. Fucking embarrassing.

serghei

I'm liking what I'm reading very much. Most of those things are flaws of Ernie's tactics.

Actually, I've drawn attention on these solutions being terribly used by Ernie in my analysis.

This was consistently terrible under Valverde:

When opponents employ marking schemes against Betis’ build up, It becomes difficult to create the free man who can progress the play. One way that Setien’s players attempt to lose their markers is by exploiting the benefits of rotations.

Rotations have the potential to disorganise and disorientate opponents, creating dilemmas that often result in a player on the attacking team becoming free. The video below shows an example of rotations in an attempt to open up closed-off passing lanes. Two Celta players focus on blocking off passes into pivot midfielder William Carvalho, while the third player tries to prevent easy circulation across the back-line

This was often terrible as well (basically useless side passing to fullbacks, in conditions were ball-carrying defenders should've taken up available space):

The final way in which Setien’s teams show adaptability, invention and tactical intelligence in the first phase of an attack includes the use of ball-carrying defenders. Despite only playing with 3 in the back line, Betis’ defenders are given license to recognise space and move into it. They regularly step out into midfield to drive the play forward, drawing central pressure from the opponents and creating space out wide in the process. This is a good option when passing options are limited on the second line.

This was ok under Ernie, overused if anything. Basically when Ter Stegen would play those lofted balls over the opponents pressing wave:

The second video shows a progression of this tactic. Instead of playing through the midfield or down the sides, Betis will sometimes bypass these areas by taking an aerial route to the attack. The midfielders can then look to win the 2nd ball on the other side, allowing them to recover possession facing the play before combining centrally or feeding the wing-backs. The idea of ‘playing long and getting in behind it’ is not new. However, the way Betis manipulate the positional landscape before playing over pressure, means the frequency at which they can actually profit from this method is high.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans