Erling Braut Haaland

El Gato

Villarato!
Team-specific, yes
But I have my doubts about a universal one also. Dunno how far gone Raiola was when they drafted up that agreement, but not sure how much wiggle room they would get from any team on the matter of contractual freedom

Birdy

The pathetic state of a club letting a newly signed player sign a contract including a 'team-specific' clause of a reasonable amount.

Which club respecting itself would allow that??

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Well, none, because City haven't allowed a team-specific release clause.

If there is one then it is a general release clause which have been reported to be of around 200m.

Birdy

Well, none, because City haven't allowed a team-specific release clause.

If there is one then it is a general release clause which have been reported to be of around 200m.

Less pathetic, but still small club mentality

The release clauses in contracts of players respecting their clubs - and the clubs respecting their players - are either astronomical (1 B) or they don't exist
Unless you are a Dortmund or a Leipzig

El Gato

Villarato!
If on the player end you get a choice between 'we want to join and try to do something (a dynasty) in 4-5 years but not more, wanna try more leagues' or you'd lose out, it's understandable.
Clauses in any strong European team now are mostly to milk the richest out there for all you can and safeguard club from player leaving on a whim after a bad fallout/poorer season. Dortmunds of this world have a poor competitive domestic model in general, but they are more sustainable financially because of being willing to accept release clauses.

Birdy

If on the player end you get a choice between 'we want to join and try to do something (a dynasty) in 4-5 years but not more, wanna try more leagues' or you'd lose out, it's understandable.
Clauses in any strong European team now are mostly to milk the richest out there for all you can and safeguard club from player leaving on a whim after a bad fallout/poorer season. Dortmunds of this world have a poor competitive domestic model in general, but they are more sustainable financially because of being willing to accept release clauses.

I don't blame Dortmund or Leipzig for doing that. They are sustainable and have a clear model of operation.
I blame City though

No matter what you write in the bolded part, you know and I know and every knows that
Bayern wouldn't accept a clause despite any such argument from the player's camp
Liverpool wouldn't
Real wouldn't
Barca wouldn't

What does this reveal about City?

El Gato

Villarato!
That they may be different from rest of this class of clubs. And at the moment better off. Decision to take what might seem a PR optics hit may as well pay off considering a lot changes for the player's camp since the moment they originally request the clause. He could turn around in 2-3 years and say 'well, actually, I won this much here, why would I leave'?

Besides for oil clubs player commitment is not so important, they can always spend more to replace and remain where they want to be even if not setting records like Haaland's current stint is. Pep staying is much more important for where they want to be as a club.

Home of Barca Fans