Champions League

El Gato

Villarato!
If there was a strong Chinese club in your city that internationally rivaled European clubs, would you not support it? A huge reason why many people even here on this forum became Barca fans (or an international top club in general) is because they are not very confident about their local alternative. Most people on this forum are from Eastern Europe, Scandinavia or the US which all basically share the common denominator that any club from their area country will not have any realistic chance of great relevance in the foreseeable future. For the same reason Barca fans from England, Germany or Italy are rarer than these despite proportionally higher population numbers.

And I do not see why you wouldn't become a fan of a good team while forcing oneself to 'support the local side' on a pure accident of birth/choice of a job location. If I moved to live in west London would it make it OK to support Chelsea and make me morally superior to those that do so from Poland? Lol.

I don't think there's a single person in the world that didn't get interested in football through watching the best players play, who became the best due to where they are at, surrounded by players who are just as good. All you do at an early age is pick a player and role model you like watching most, get their shirt, and then realise he'd be nowhere without his teammates who you end up supporting etc - essentially gloryhunting. Which is OK at an early age. Sometimes your dad tells you 'it's all well and good you like watching Messi but you should wear a Brentford shirt' without actually giving you a good reason for it. Redistributing the wealth would just mean a broader spectrum of clubs would benefit from the same process, rather than make folk interested in local sport. And IMO achieving such breadth in competitive football is impossible, because as long as players get to choose where they work, they'll almost always prefer better locations (Mediterranean). Even when choice is limited (i.e. American model) they still end up doing that.

Last edited:

Messi983

PSG Real final possible? Or they cross paths in semis?
I couldn't bear that final.

Yeah, it's possible. Semi-finals were already drawn.

PSG - City/Dortmund
RM/L'pool - Chelsea

If Dortmund is out tonight (which they will be) Chelsea is the least unlikable team remaining. But tbh don't really care about the CL anymore. Will keep an eye on Dortmund tonight but didn't watch other QF games nor will semi-finals and final.

FC B

City
PSG
Chelsea
Madrid

In that order. But can those three knock out an injury-laden, COVID stricken Madrid? Doubt it.

For me all can win it this year except Madrid. I was rooting for Bayern and I thought they were the only ones capable of beating them in the final. Don't ever trust City to do it, don't even trust PSG to win the final against Madrid.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
So tonight no Varane, Ramos, Lucas. Carvajal back in training but not ready, might be back on the bench for Getafe. Hazard also back in training.
Fede is fit.
Both he and Mendy 1 yellow card away from suspension for 1st Chelsea game.

Most likely I would imagine Zidane will play same lineup in 4-3-3 with Odriozola at RB. I'd be surprised if he opts to not use him even if he's probably the weakest link in the squad. Alternatively could play Militao at RB and use Casemiro as CB and Fede as CDM, but unlikely I think. Shifting to 3-5-2 with Case dropping in between CBs should happen seamlessly with either Fede or Asensio so there's flexibility also and I wouldn't be surprised if he plays Fede instead of Marco to neutralise Robertson-Mane and help Odrio, like he did vs Barca. Not sure if Vini is the best choice for this type of game on that LW/LF either, but will probably happen for the sake of continuity of good form.

Should be an interesting one

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
[MENTION=5226]El Gato[/MENTION]

Why wouldn't Vini be good in this game? He's basically the only threat in counter attacks together with Valverde.
TAA will always have to look over his shoulder before bombing forward.

Kroos fully fit? Heard him and Fede were doubtful after the Clasico. But maybe nothing to it.

El Gato

Villarato!
[MENTION=19407]Andresito[/MENTION]
Yes, but I have an inner fear that he'll miss what we really need him to score. I'm picturing us losing 1-0 for 60-70 mins with Liverpool pressing on and we're just about holding on + Vini gets a chance and skies it. I know he's in a good form and I agree he's a guaranteed threat. Just think it's delicate. Dude started making really good decisions on the ball since circa January and played well for a long while. Now he scored and tore TAA a new one, but I'm not sure this is him having turned the corner and could be devastated if he misses a match ball here.
I'd consider Asensio in his spot, whether Fede plays or not. Rodrygo is another alternative. Racks up assists like no tomorrow despite playing relatively little, but I dont think he's on Zidane's mind since been out of starting lineup for some time.

Kroos is fine AFAIK, didn't read about him getting hurt. Zidane said in the presser Fede recovered from getting a bruise in the Clasico.

serghei

Yes yes, we know you think Valverde is average.

Not referring to Valverde in particular, but really think Vinicius is your best youngster. If he gets his shooting right, the kid is going far. His speed is amazing, his dribble is pretty good, and his playmaking is underrated I'd say. Only his shooting is all over the place. And his diving.

Home of Barca Fans