Nico Gonzalez

Bobo32

But this is what doesn't make sense. If he's on shorter contract we can't really set the price if in two years we decide he's not good enough and want to sell him. When players have just a year left on their contracts negotiating power is in their hands.

Another thing is if he'll establish himself in the first team we'll have to give him a new contract with higher wages in two years. And with expiring contract he'll again have more power to demand what he wants. If he'd sign a longterm contract now on lower wages the club could push negotiations down the road for a further season or two if our financial situation still won't improve enough by 2023 or if we won't be totally sure if he's worth what he's asking for.

A young player wants a short contract and high wages, you ask why he wasn't given a long contract with low wages?

Porque

The buyout clause is largely symbolic. An indirect way of saying "this is how highly we rate you".

The short contract seems to be a choice by Nico Gonzalez agent/father so we are more attentive in his progression. If he is not progressing as expected then Nico will have more power to push for first team opportunities here or an exit.

Would not be surprised if there is an clause to extend. Would not be surprised if there is not. But going by past renewals I'd weigh on the side of not having an option as Nico has always been teetering with other offers, despite probably wanting his long term future here.

Messi983

A young player wants a short contract and high wages, you ask why he wasn't given a long contract with low wages?

This would be sensible to expect from club's perspective, no? But my point was not as much about his wages than contract length.

And I think they've actually offered him just a 3-year contract. IIRC I've read somewhere a few weeks ago that this will be a new club philosophy (so far we've had that 2-year club option which I assume now is not included anymore) for players who are on the verge of being promoted from Barca B to the first team. I understand 3-year extensions for fringe Barca B players who are not as highly rated and will most likely be sold within a year or two but it seems everyone at the club has high expectations for Nico so the club should try to keep him for as long as possible (and if that's on a bit lower wages even better). He wants to succeed here so I don't believe he'd turn down a 5-year contract if he'd receive one.

Bobo32

This would be sensible to expect from club's perspective, no? But my point was not as much about his wages than contract length.

And I think they've actually offered him just a 3-year contract. IIRC I've read somewhere a few weeks ago that this will be a new club philosophy (so far we've had that 2-year club option which I assume now is not included anymore) for players who are on the verge of being promoted from Barca B to the first team. I understand 3-year extensions for fringe Barca B players who are not as highly rated and will most likely be sold within a year or two but it seems everyone at the club has high expectations for Nico so the club should try to keep him for as long as possible (and if that's on a bit lower wages even better). He wants to succeed here so I don't believe he'd turn down a 5-year contract if he'd receive one.

It would be great! It would also be great if Messi could play for free...

I think the club would rather have 7 year contracts for every young player in the B team, or still have them on 7 year contracts they signed 5 years ago when in cadete or whatever...
If Nico was offered a longer contract, he'd want a higher wage and other things as well, compared to a shorter contract.

Messi983

Should make his first team debut against Eibar.

Sport suggesting today that Konrad, Nico, Collado, Inaki/Tenas and Comas could all feature.

Nope, only Konrad and Arnau called up.

E15_8HBVEAcj8mU

Porque

I guess Messi didn't like that Collado is better at FKs than him, Pique didn't like Comas defends better than him and Busi didn't like that Nico is stronger than him, then.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Suggests to me Koeman is out. Can't be bothered to give an opportunity to next year's promotions- bar those like Konrad who have trained with the first all season.

I mean, we are still fighting for that third-seeded place in CL groups :lol:

mc_lovin

I have settled for him as our new defensive midfielder. He looks to have the de Ligt body type, so hopefully he's an early bloomer. Early next year he's 20, which is a decent age. Pretty much like Busquets when he made his breakthrough.

Realistically that can be shot down rather quickly in pre season ;D

Andresito

Staff member
I have settled for him as our new defensive midfielder. He looks to have the de Ligt body type, so hopefully he's an early bloomer. Early next year he's 20, which is a decent age. Pretty much like Busquets when he made his breakthrough.

Realistically that can be shot down rather quickly in pre season ;D

Welcome aboard on the Nico hype train!

Prodi

Nico Gonzalez will be in the first team dynamics in the upcoming season. If he doesn't play, he'll still be available to Barca B. Pere Guardiola, head of Mediabase, the player's agency, has confirmed this.

Home of Barca Fans