Kalidou Koulibaly

Temptation

Both Skriniar and Koulibaly would be very good and visibly improve Barca. Skriniar's age suits more. Both are leaders and world class

vuji_31

Don't know. Rather someone younger. Or get him for free.
Napoli will milk us, for 30-40mil I think it is too much.

Messi983

Just skimmed the text, but I would definitely take Koulibaly over the likes of Martinez or "smart" Bundesliga/Ligue 1 signings. We want to compete ffs.

Do we really? I'll believe that when Busi&Co. are all gone.

Until then don't think it's reasonable to pay big money for more old players thinking they'll make us competitive. Better to bring younger players with a hope they'll settle in, if not they at least have re-sell value.

Laplacian

Don't know. Rather someone younger. Or get him for free.
Napoli will milk us, for 30-40mil I think it is too much.

Someone always says this, "I want someone younger instead" as if Europe is overflowing with world class young players in the CB position.

Fuck sakes Liverpool got Van Dijk when he was 28.

We have enough young players. It's time to fill the club with experienced players in their prime.

JamDav1982

Have too many older players already. Stop adding them.

He isnt proven world class either and looked ropey v Barca.

Van Dijk signed for Liverpool at 27.

DsLR

30 years old for a defender is far from old

Great CBs have longevity.

Ramos, Thiago Silva, Chiellini etc. All of these players were 30 like in 2016...now think about how they were in 2016 and 2-3 years that followed

MTL_Barca

Have too many older players already. Stop adding them.

He isnt proven world class either and looked ropey v Barca.

Van Dijk signed for Liverpool at 27.

Araujo 23
Christensen 26
Koulibaly 31
(Eric 21, Pique 35)

Would be a decent mix there, but of course 27-28 would be preferable to still be in prime age once we hopefully recover as a team.

Don't think age alone is a huge factor, don't really have that old of a team anymore with Ferran, Fati, (Dembele), Pedri, Gavi, De Jong, Araujo all being 24 or younger and starting regularly.

All the old players remaining are the ones who we should try to replace soon anyway, so it's not like we would suddenly end up with an old team. Quality is what is mostly lacking, so IF it's beetween 30-31 years old world class (debatable of course) and another Lenglet or Garcia i know what i'd prefer.

Never optimal to buy old players of course, so still a good reason to not spend much. Lewandowski a similar case.

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

Exactly. Most of these old players should be out the door after next season. No excuse.

also, age isn't a problem itself, it's what level they have, their motivation, and leadership.

JamDav1982

40m for 31 year old when Pique at 35 will play a lot is too much then you have Alba/Roberto/possibly Alonso/Aczpi either side of them and Busi on front.

The defence and Busi is too old and better full backs will offfer more to team than another 30+ plyer in Koulibaly who hasnt proven nearly as much as folk seem to make out.

FinBarcelonafan

40m for 31 year old when Pique at 35 will play a lot is too much then you have Alba/Roberto/possibly Alonso/Aczpi either side of them and Busi on front.

The defence and Busi is too old and better full backs will offfer more to team than another 30+ plyer in Koulibaly who hasnt proven nearly as much as folk seem to make out.

40 mil is the asking price. Nobody ever pays the asking price, unless they are Barto. It would drop down to 20 mils, we have a CB for a few years. It's a fine price.

Who is better, available and good for 2-3 years and costs 20-30 mil? Others are totally unproven young guys or pasts it with long contract.

JamDav1982

40 mil is the asking price. Nobody ever pays the asking price, unless they are Barto. It would drop down to 20 mils, we have a CB for a few years. It's a fine price.

Who is better, available and good for 2-3 years and costs 20-30 mil? Others are totally unproven young guys or pasts it with long contract.

No 45m is being quoted as asking price.

Would rather go with CBs have and spend money on full backs.

MTL_Barca

Probably won't buy quality fullbacks either way. But that would be a welcome suprise.

I guess in case we're really after a guy like Koulibaly Pique would probably not play that much anymore. Otherwise that would be pretty bad planning, especially with Christensen most likely joining as well. Unless Xavi wants to start Araujo as RB for some strange reason i guess...

Either way i just think age isn't the most important factor when it comes to replacing our veterans. They are pretty much the only old players left (besides our collection of stopgap CFs) anyway, rest of team is fairly young. If Koulibaly is worth it is a different story of course.

FinBarcelonafan

If 45 mil is the serious asking price, Barca needs to ask Koulibaly to walk into their office and lower the price to something reasonable.

Home of Barca Fans