Memphis Depay

Bobo32

He can be a good hand though.

Back in Laporta's first stint part of the strategy was to get good players that were key players in mid-tier / top teams in the lesser leagues.
E.g.

Giuly @ Monaco
Larsson @ Celtic
Marquez @ Monaco
Edmilson @ Lyon
Belletti @ Villarreal
Van Bommel @ PSV

I'm not including Ronaldinho, Deco and Eto'o in that category although they could apply, as I think they were signed as key players for the project and seen at a different tier.

I think Depay fits that first group, and that he has something to prove at the top level is a good thing. But it is important to get these players that have decent quality and are mentally ready to play for Barcelona.

I got my reservations on how he will co-exist with Messi, but seeing our other options at AML and striker last season (Dembele on the left, Braithwaite) and not knowing how Ansu returns, then I don't really have qualms with Depay now Koeman is 100% staying.

Monaco were in CL final that year. Giuly was the star, and Deco was the star at Porto who won.
Giuly, Deco, Eto'o were pretty much the most hyped players in Europe at that point, and Ronaldinho had already been a success. That 2004 summer was insane to follow, an already great team got the best players of many of the best performing teams, Celtic were in EL final the year before too IIRC

It's absolutely great to get these players before they are proven at a bigger club, but I don't think they come by that often and I wonder if Barcelona will ever have the drawing power as they had with Ronaldinho and later with the greatest team and with Messi. Nor the money to get as many of them at once.

Porque

Monaco were in CL final that year. Giuly was the star, and Deco was the star at Porto who won.
Giuly, Deco, Eto'o were pretty much the most hyped players in Europe at that point, and Ronaldinho had already been a success. That 2004 summer was insane to follow, an already great team got the best players of many of the best performing teams, Celtic were in EL final the year before too IIRC

It's absolutely great to get these players before they are proven at a bigger club, but I don't think they come by that often and I wonder if Barcelona will ever have the drawing power as they had with Ronaldinho and later with the greatest team and with Messi. Nor the money to get as many of them at once.

We got the key players of Porto and Monaco CL finalists (even though Monaco ended up being a system team on an incredible run and Giuly was probably around Memphis Depay level).

Eto'o was waiting for a big move in hindsight but still a risk at the highest level as he had never cracked 20 goals a season and was at Mallorca who finished midtable. I guess in todays football it would be like signing Alexander Isak.

Definitely more competition for this type of model right now and especially difficult when we have messed up financials. But you could say guys like Depay, Emerson are along these lines while other options like this couldn't be pursued because of blowing 50m on Matheus Fernandez, Trincao, Braithwaite, Gustavo Maia. And that is not even taking the post Dembele self-harm spending.

HanDW

Eto'o wasnt even the first option that year, Luis Fabiano was the man, he had a deal with Rosell but due to problems with Sao Paulo he couldn't join Barcelona.

Last edited:

HanDW

(DEPAY): Memphis Depay's signing is in danger. Players will have to leave.

The wage bill is very high, and if it is not lightened, the Dutch forward will not arrive.

Via:mad:Alfremartinezz @BrujulaDeporte

Porque

(DEPAY): Memphis Depay's signing is in danger. Players will have to leave.

The wage bill is very high, and if it is not lightened, the Dutch forward will not arrive.

Via:mad:Alfremartinezz @BrujulaDeporte

Lol. Hasn't that been the case for the past 2 transfer windows as well.

And hasn't the wagebill dropped by 100m when Messi is not under contract on June 24th, or by 75m with Messi reported new contract.

Poor Depay. The board just don't really want him (or Koeman).

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I don't really buy this "Depay's signing in danger because of our wage bill" thingy. Yes our wage bill is too high and we need to shed some fat and get rid of some players, but his signing (along with Wijnaldum's) has been planning for a while, knowing the nature of high wage bill. Now Wijnaldum is not even coming, which should provide some cushion on wages offered to Depay, if anything.

Depay might not come after all in the end, but it would not be due to this reason.

Home of Barca Fans