Zinedine Zidane

malvolio

Zidane is not a top tactical coach but he keeps it simple and has a squad of players where work rate is non negotiable and if dont fit with him any one of them can move on.

Barca are the polar opposite.

A team of egos that are difficult to manage and to set up tactically due to their power and age.

It helps when you are Zidane at Real. He is a bigger name and was a bigger player than any of the guys he coached.

Oh yeah, I forgot the refs. Gotta have them refs on your side.

JamDav1982

It helps when you are Zidane at Real. He is a bigger name and was a bigger player than any of the guys he coached.

Oh yeah, I forgot the refs. Gotta have them refs on your side.

I agree he is a bigger name than any player currently at Real but that also includes Ronaldo who he was not a bigger player than.

malvolio

I agree he is a bigger name than any player currently at Real but that also includes Ronaldo who he was not a bigger player than.

That is debatable really. CR obviously had a better individual career, but Zidane had this aura of a great player who carried France to international trophies. Guys like CR grew up watching Zidane.

Richard.H

He's a great motivator and sometimes that's all it takes to win. I guarantee with a coach like him we would win La Liga and not go out in the CL like pussies. He inspires the team. Just look at how good they play after halftime. I bet he is great at halftime speeches like Pep.

JamDav1982

That is debatable really. CR obviously had a better individual career, but Zidane had this aura of a great player who carried France to international trophies. Guys like CR grew up watching Zidane.

Zidane never carried France to the WC etc that is all covered in myth. He pretty much had a good final that tournament.

Zidane was better in he WC he lost but in both tournaments France were very complete and strong teams.

Ronaldo is quite easily the better player and always felt watching Zidane he was bit over rated due to how pleasing on eye he was. Great player no doubt but not very top.

malvolio

He's a great motivator and sometimes that's all it takes to win. I guarantee with a coach like him we would win La Liga and not go out in the CL like pussies. He inspires the team. Just look at how good they play after halftime. I bet he is great at halftime speeches like Pep.

Seems to be a Carlo Ancelotti type of manager. Good at big clubs that have big egos in the dressing room.

Daisymorr

Although Zidane was a great player, a legendary footballer that transcends all generations CR7 will go down as a better player and rightfully so. CR7 will be in the conversation for the best of all time along with Pele Maradona and Messi. Zidane wont.

I loved Zidane as a player when I was younger but lets have it straight.

malvolio

Zidane never carried France to the WC etc that is all covered in myth. He pretty much had a good final that tournament.

Zidane was better in he WC he lost but in both tournaments France were very complete and strong teams.

Ronaldo is quite easily the better player and always felt watching Zidane he was bit over rated due to how pleasing on eye he was. Great player no doubt but not very top.

I may have used incorrectly the term debatable. Was not aiming to discuss if CR was a better player than Zidane, as it is clear that the Portuguese is better.
But Zidane the myth is very real as most people remember him ti be the best player France had at those WCs.
Also that CL final goal and the WC 98 final performance elevate the myth into stratosphere.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I may have used incorrectly the term debatable. Was not aiming to discuss if CR was a better player than Zidane, as it is clear that the Portuguese is better.
But Zidane the myth is very real as most people remember him ti be the best player France had at those WCs.

Yeah there is a bit of myth due to his goals in final but he did not have a great World Cup prior to that game and France got to final without him more or less.

He has more iconic moments that a lot of people will hold him up for.

At Real he is the main man and has players that can all play he wants to. Get a Xavi in at Barca now and cant see it being anything but a disaster.

Xavi either tries to reduce power of amigos or goes with them and both are a hard fight.

Morten

Zidane as a player was absolutely unplayable on his day, and those very often came in big games.
Over 38 league games though? Maybe i only remember his last few seasons where he was past his best already, but he had
many games where he didnt do much.

Fantastic player, but not the most consistent.

malvolio

Won the La Liga with their mercato signing barely having an impact. Talking about Hazard not Jovic.

Impressive.

I feel this Liga was the luckiest run he had. Us being shit, the fact that small teams couldn't rely on a morale boost from the home crowds when facing them, refs going full tilt to make sure they don't stutter. Fair play to him on working with what he had, but his squad was already the best in the league. Better than ours that's for sure.
Lucky bastard has done it again. Now I'll cry myself to sleep with that Zidane song ringing in my head. :lol:

Xaviniesta

fair play. the clap-your-hands manager won another title. still got exposed in the CL without a ronaldo to cross to. i'll rate him as a manager if he gets past city

Andrew M

I feel this Liga was the luckiest run he had. Us being shit, the fact that small teams couldn't rely on a morale boost from the home crowds when facing them, refs going full tilt to make sure they don't stutter. Fair play to him on working with what he had, but his squad was already the best in the league. Better than ours that's for sure.
Lucky bastard has done it again. Now I'll cry myself to sleep with that Zidane song ringing in my head. :lol:

That's how leagues work. The best team will always win. Luck has minimal impact during a 38 game league season.

Home of Barca Fans