Zidane vs Ronaldinho

Who was greater?

• Total voters

Temptation

2 magicians. 2 icons. Both amazing to watch and won pretty much everything.

Who was better, more influential and the bigger icon? Why?

jamrock

Zidane

And dinho is my favorite player by far or maybe kluivert, but the way zidane showed up for France, can't take it away from him.

Going into the 2006 WC, dinho was set to go great things, but fucking parreira thought it was a great idea to build the attacking 3rd of his team around a fat Ronaldo and fucking kaka of all people.

That was suppose to be dinho's world cup, after that tournament he was never the same.

Rant over but it pisses me off every time I think about how Brazilian was setup in that WC, he turn dinho into a fuckin CM.

But yea zidane, because parreira fucked dinho.

JamDav1982

Zidane.

Ronaldinho was a catalyst for the league and had a good...but not legendary.. CL in 2006.

Other than that 2006 run I dont think Barca won a European knock out tie with Ronaldinho.. could be wrong on that would need to check.

Ronaldinho was better La Liga player than Zidane though and more important to Barcas history than Zidane is to theirs.

jamrock

Way better in la Liga, if it's just club football dinho is better than zidane who was never that great or consistent in the league.

Main reason I've maintained Iniesta is better than him, matches him for big moments for club and country, but more consistent in the league and CL.

JamDav1982

Club one is difficult.

In La Liga Ronaldinho was better. In Europe Zidane was probably better overall and before that was best player in Italy.

Ronaldinho was probably one of best players in Europe for 3 or 4 seasons on club football.. Zidane was one of top for longer.

jamrock

I remember him taking L's in the CL finals, for me he wasn't the best at juve, the 98 ballon d'or was more for what he did with France than in Italy.

He just never had the game to game impact in either Spain or Italy, that dinho had for Barcelona at his best.

Like the 20 & 20 season dinho, Had for us in the season we lost the league.

Not saying zidane was poor, but game to game consistent he never had, many times I watched him and was like Meh.

JamDav1982

Zidane losing in CL finals are still a lot better campaigns than Ronaldinho barely winning a Euroean tie outwith one year and losing to likes of Celtic.

European football wise Ronaldinho had one good year for Barca where Messi was best in QF and then he vanished in final.

La Liga it is Ronaldinho def. Zidane was average a lot of the weeks.

KingLeo10

ZZ and it's not close. Mostly because of how he generally performed better than his usual level under big pressure and expectations. Even as manager, he was an okay tactician (nothing special), but there's just some sort of aura around the bald shaman that the joint most loaded club side of all time (along with Pep's Barca) did as he commanded.

R10 doesn't make most all time top 10-15 lists while ZZ is always present in those (usually around the 10-15 range) and is one of the 3 players that first come to mind when you think midfield (ZZ, Xavi, and Matthaus).

R10 had a very high peak but underperformed for his career relative to talent.

JamDav1982

Just checked and Ronaldinho at PSG went out of Europe early to Rangers and Boavista. At Barca won one European tie outwith 2006.. v Celtic. At Milan they did not win an knock out tie in 4 attempts.

That is fairly horrific catalogue. Granted cant all be put on him but not great and his job is to improve teams chances.

Reality is Ronaldinho had a very short peak and largely in La Liga and third in attack at 2002 world cup.

Ronaldinho is more iconic for Barca and his style than production over more than a few years.

iniestaGOAT

Zidane is better..

At being the most overrated player of all time.
At playing for loaded teams and barely winning anything.
At letting his country down headbutting fools.
At being the only player more hyped than Ronaldinho thanks to YouTube videos.

In short.. Ronaldinho clear.
Not up for discussion.

jamrock

Temp thought dinho would win because it's a barca forum but most here aren't as bias to Barcelona legends as he thinks.

We know where who ranks.

Dinho is up there not many he'll lose to, but zidane is one of them, lot of dogma surrounds zidane because of some spectacular moments.

Some have him top 5-10 of all time which is ridiculous.

More like 15-20, maybe

khaled_a_d

Peak R10 is better, but durability matters and Ronaldinho fails miserably at that. His prime ended at 27 and career in Europe was over before the age of 30.

JamDav1982

Peak R10 is better, but durability matters and Ronaldinho fails miserably at that. His prime ended at 27 and career in Europe was over before the age of 30.

In La Liga.. peak Zidane better eleswhere.

Ronaldinho was never really a top top player for Brazil and had ONE season in Europe that was not fairly awful.

Temptation

All different positions but I rate ZZ above R9 and R10 as a Football Legend.

Maybe R9 had the better peak but overall it's Zidane for me.

Still remember when everyone was talking about the great star studded, stacked Brazil team in the 2006 WC. Retirement Zidane just came in, smiled and schooled the entire team casually. It was like he was playing with kids in his backyard. Zizou just radiates a magical aura.

Home of Barca Fans