Nationality: French
Born: 14th January, 1986, Tourcoing, France
Height: 1.74m (5ft 8.5ins)
Weight: 71.3kgs
Previous clubs: Lille
Signed: June 2011 from Lille
Newcastle United debut: 13th August, 2011 v Arsenal (home), Premier League
Position: Midfielder

Signed from Lille on 10th June, 2011, for an undisclosed fee, Yohan Cabaye has quickly settled into life at Newcastle United.

The central midfielder was handed the number four shirt by manager Alan Pardew and formed an impressive partnership in the centre of the park with Cheick Tiote as the Magpies made a flying start to the 2011/12 Premier League season.

Cabaye made his debut in the opening game of the campaign against Arsenal on 13th August, and opened his account a couple of months later as he curled home the only goal of the game against Wigan on 22nd October.

Early Days

Born in Tourcoing, in northern France, Cabaye spent seven years in the youth set-up at Tourcoing FC before leaving for Lille, aged 11. He rose through the ranks at Lille and made his professional debut at the start of the 2004/05 season as they won the Intertoto Cup. His league debut came on 7th November, 2004, against Istres. The following season, Cabaye became a regular for Les Dogues, making 20 starts, and appeared in both the Champions League and UEFA Cup. His first professional goal came on 19th November, 2005, as Lille lost 3-2 to Auxerre. One of Cabaye's best seasons for Lille came in 2009/10 when he scored 15 goals and made ten assists, as they finished fourth in Ligue 1 and reached the knockout stage of the Europa League. But from a team perspective they bettered that the following year, not only clinching the Ligue 1 title, but also winning the Coupe De France to complete an historic double, with Cabaye a key player in Lille's achievements.

International Career

Cabaye has represented Frace at Under 16, Under 18, Under 19, Under 20, Under 21 and full senior level. He won the Tournoi du Val-de-Marne as part of the Under 16 squad in October 2001, and played a key role in the Under 19s winning the 2005 UEFA Under 19 Championship, held in Northern Ireland. The following year, Cabaye was called into the Under 20 team which participated inthe 2006 Toulon Tournament, triumphing thanks to a 5-3 win on penalties over Holland in the final. The midfielder won 15 caps for the Under 21s, and made his senior international debut on 11th August, 2010 in a friendly against Norway.

Last edited:

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
Do we really need a thread on every single Newcastle player? No one is ever going to post anything on this thread probably after today, why waste memory.

zanela

I don't see the problem. This is a section for all non-barca players. And when there are threads for some unknown entities on here, y can't we 've a place to discuss a France Intl and a PL player?

From what i've seen, Cabaye and Tioté bring solidity and balance to the Newcastle midfield. The Frenchman is technically adept and intelligent on the ball. He knows when to make the runs and to stay back. He is a threat on set-pieces as well.
I know he and Nasri are not of similar mold. But i like Cabaye better. He doesn't shit it when things get tough. Blanc also seem to rate him. Won't surprise me if he gets a bigger move in the future. Man United could do with someone like him in midfield.

Mes que un club

Cabaye is a magnificent footballer - truly intelligent, composed and relaxed on the ball - cobbled with excellent technique. All the respect in the world for Newcastle - but he could go somewhere bigger.

Canto

Johan Dalin part II
He's a class act...would kill to have him or Tiote at United...and both if i had the chance.

Hatem Ben Arfa

he's been linked with a move to Arsenal today.

doubt it will happen. Can't see Wenger spending 20 million pounds on one player. besides our finances are so good nowadays that we will only sell our best players for truly stupid money a la Andy Carroll.

he's fantastic, and pulls all the strings and creates our play from the midfield.

Hatem Ben Arfa

Mint! :)

He will be a star at Euro 2012 in the summer. I am picking France to win the whole tournament.

Similar player to Xavi, everything flows through him and he controls the tempo of the game and dictates when to attack, when to keep possession and creates everything from deep really right through the midfield to attack. There was a reason Barcelona were once linked to signing him.

He will have a great Euro 2012, mark my words.

Last edited:

Hatem Ben Arfa

what the fuck did i just watch

Yohan Cabaye, his inspiration and career, family, friends: Eden Hazard, Claude Debuchy, Rio, Ben Arfa, Ba coaches throughout his career. Newcastle and Lille, French National team etc.

little promo for his website.

Pretty mint video :)

Home of Barca Fans