Yerry Mina

Raketa10

Some of you guys are unbelievable. You are already doubting this guy while 99% of you never saw him play. I don't know if he will succeed here or not but he was signed 2 weeks ago so what did you expect from him? To be a regular starter or what??? He will get minutes when he is ready.

Catta

The funny thing is, most people who doubt this guy before he even played a match for the club, are the same people that think Samper and similar over rated La Masia players would be world class if they were given a chance in the first team.

Kuchi

Well..given he's not Marquinos of Thiago Silva, he's not entitled to any chance, he is 100% a flop and the next Chigrinsky (doesn't deserve the time to google his name spelling)..

Moreover, he should pack and go to loan, asap, there is no way he will grow into Barca DNA, especially since he didn't play in Europe.

Or better yet, let's just wait and see, while not pre-judging, ever..ffs

5ergio_Busquets

Why all the doubts when we didn't even see him play? Because even in the Youtube highlights videos he doesn't seem like a good defender and you can make any player look good in those videos.

behindbrowneyes

That's what Valverde said at the end of January:
Ernesto Valverde's not one to give too much information away in a press conference. With short, polite phrases, he edges away from controversy.

Therefore, when he says certain things you have to listen, like when he says that "Yerry Mina has still not played a friendly, let alone an official game. He needs to go through a period of adaption." The coach was clear: Mina needs more time to get in the team.

That doesn't mean he won't. In fact, Valverde said he has a chance of being in the squad against Espanyol, which makes sense given Vermaelen is injured and Mascherano is no longer part of the team.

However, he didn't want to compare the Argentine with the Colombian: "Mascherano knows how we play, he has the advantage in that sense. But we think that Mina can help us still. We’re contemplating the possibility of including him [against Espanyol]. He’s a player that has to enter the group’s dynamic. We think with his character he can give us a lot."

Valverde is not worried about Vermaelen's injury, either, because it's not long-term.

"Vermaelen is for two weeks so that is not too worrying," he added. "We're happy with the defenders we have, with Yerry Mina, who needs a period to adapt to our way of playing. At the moment we’re not thinking about anything other than getting Vermaelen back and having four centre-backs available again."

Some people here think you walk into a new team and can play if you're really good. Mina has the abilities to be a good defender for us, but those abilities don't bail you out of difficult situations when your positioning isn't the "Barcelona-way" yet. Since he came in the winter market he had no pre-season and it is not that easy to adapt in a very busy calendar like ours in January.

Semedo is part of the team since summer and still struggles with positioning in the way we play. I can see why Valverde didn't start Mina yet.

M

MessiCam

There are many "not great players" at Barca at the moment and honestly I don't rate him highly.

Everybody that has seen him play, pundits and fans alike, rate him higher than Davinson Sanchez. The same Davinson Sanchez with all his European expereince that everybody wanted Barca to sign...

Give him a chance at least.

5ergio_Busquets

Everybody that has seen him play, pundits and fans alike, rate him higher than Davinson Sanchez. The same Davinson Sanchez with all his European expereince that everybody wanted Barca to sign...

Give him a chance at least.

Ofcourse he should get a chance.
The question is not if but when and where. The Mestalla game is not the right occasion to give him that chance that's what I'm saying. People who are shouting "give him a chance" now are probably the first who will shout "sell" if he does a costly mistake against Valencia.

M

MessiCam

The question is not if but when and where. The Mestalla game is not the right occasion to give him that chance that's what I'm saying. People who are shouting "give him a chance" now are probably the first who will shout "sell" if he does a costly mistake against Valencia.

While I agree it's not the type of game to give a guy a first cap but who do you think should play against Valencia? Vermaelen, Pique as well as Digne are out...

khaled_a_d

It is the current situation in the team, in many cases players need to step up because of the team needs, can't protect the players over the team best interest.

5ergio_Busquets

It is the current situation in the team, in many cases players need to step up because of the team needs, can't protect the players over the team best interest.

It's in interest of both the club and the player not to start him at Mestalla. Playing as a defender in the Barca System is not easy and you need to be in perfect understanding with your team mates. In a possession style like Barca's a wrong pass from a defender could be all it takes to concede a goal. Against Valencia's counter attacking style the least thing you need is a misunderstanding between defenders. From what I have seen from him in the videos he seems to like making adventurous forward runs and tries some risky passes which often result in giving the ball away and that's exactly what you need to avoid against a counter attacking team. He also doesn't seem to have the speed or the agility to stop a counter attack, neither does Pique but at least he can rely on his experience and positioning.

M

MessiCam

It's in interest of both the club and the player not to start him at Mestalla. Playing as a defender in the Barca System is not easy and you need to be in perfect understanding with your team mates. In a possession style like Barca's a wrong pass from a defender could be all it takes to concede a goal. Against Valencia's counter attacking style the least thing you need is a misunderstanding between defenders. From what I have seen from him in the videos he seems to like making adventurous forward runs and tries some risky passes which often result in giving the ball away and that's exactly what you need to avoid against a counter attacking team. He also doesn't seem to have the speed or the agility to stop a counter attack, neither does Pique but at least he can rely on his experience and positioning.

So who should play as the CB?

You talk about the interest of the club and player so in terms of club interest, under no circumstances, should Busquets be moved to CB. He is both the engine and first line of defence in case of a counter.

5ergio_Busquets

So who should play as the CB?

You talk about the interest of the club and player so in terms of club interest, under no circumstances, should Busquets be moved to CB. He is both the engine and first line of defence in case of a counter.
It's not ideal to play Busquets at CB but I think it's still the better solution in the current situation. There are also other options like trying a different formation discussed in the match thread.

M

MessiCam

It's not ideal to play Busquets at CB but I think it's still the better solution in the current situation. There are also other options like trying a different formation discussed in the match thread.

So you sacrifice our engine (midfield) for 1 player in defence?

We have 1 fit CB and you propose we play with 3 at the back with 2 full backs (Semedo and Digne) either side of Umtiti and the other 2 (Roberto and Alba) in midfield. Ok then...

Last edited:

Windhook

Valencia game will be the best way to introduce Yerry Mina to Spanish football. I strongly disagree with the cautious approach, huge mistake will be to treat Mina like another Marlon, Bartra and so on. Defenders need big games to prove their worth. Probably one of the reasons why Pique is terrible and unfocused in minor games.

Home of Barca Fans